Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

? on N Cal RVing down the 101

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 09:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
? on N Cal RVing down the 101

I plan on doing a trip from Boise over to Crater Lake for a few days and then hook up with the 101 at Crescent City all the way down to San Fran. Any tips suggestions. Plan to leave on June 17. I really hate well planned trips, cause they never work out how you expect them to. I am just looking for suggestions, must see, good camp grounds that are dog friendly, whatever insight you may have. I will have my slide in camper, don't plan on hauling the 4 wheeler. Just more of a hike, sight see and spend time on the coast week. Suggestions? I have never been and thought what the heck. Thanks
Old 06-07-2007, 09:36 AM

Sorry man, no suggestions - I've never been there myself, but it sure does sound like fun! I've seen pictures of the area and it sure is beautiful on the coast between San Fran and Oregon.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by Jezzhuntin
I plan on doing a trip from Boise over to Crater Lake for a few days and then hook up with the 101 at Crescent City all the way down to San Fran. Any tips suggestions. Plan to leave on June 17. I really hate well planned trips, cause they never work out how you expect them to. I am just looking for suggestions, must see, good camp grounds that are dog friendly, whatever insight you may have. I will have my slide in camper, don't plan on hauling the 4 wheeler. Just more of a hike, sight see and spend time on the coast week. Suggestions? I have never been and thought what the heck. Thanks
here ya go! http://www.freecampgrounds.com/
Old 06-07-2007, 11:28 AM

Stop,take a couple of mind blowing minutes and admire the redwoods in Humboldt County.As you drive Hwy.1,watch the curves,lots blind,twisty and,did I mention the occasional logging truck? You can also try some of the "beach parking lots" for overnighting. Have a great trip.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:36 AM

Don't miss the Prarie Creek State Park campground. It is around an hour South of Crescent City just off of the 101. It is a few miles inland in old growth Redwoods. Many easy hiking trails among very tall trees - In some places it is like walking under a canopy several hundred feet above you and you are surrounded by ferns. If you are up to it I highly recommend hiking to Gold Bluff Beach and back - Beautiful easy hike although around 9 miles round trip. There is also a great (but small) nature center. In the center they have a section of tree on display that has grown around an Elks skull. There is also a resident Roosevelt Elk herd at the prarie and over at the Beach. If you are there at the right time of year there are many opportunities to pick Black Berries also. Overall just a great place.

Good luck,

George
Old 06-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
to bad ur not going south alittle farther. THeres a really cool campground right on the beach just north of Santa Barbara about 15 miles. And of course Pismo beach is a really cool place to visit. But both those are alittle south of San fran.

I did the drive from here down to Santa barbara about 4 times in my toyota 4x4 straight through when i was in school, lol. the 101 is really cool once u start getting right along the ocean and it's really cool scenery down there. I miss it down there sometimes.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:06 PM

Yeah, I wish I could keep going and stop around Monteray, everyone raves about that area, but my wifes Dr appt is in San Fran, then she has to catch a plane to Philly for biz, so me and my co pilot (lab) are going to drive home together and stop in Reno.

Thanks for the replies, keep em coming.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Sorry man, no suggestions - I've never been there myself, but it sure does sound like fun! I've seen pictures of the area and it sure is beautiful on the coast between San Fran and Oregon.
that big ole toy hauler and never been, sheesh, sounds like when I lived in FL, never made it to the Keys!! or S of Cocco Bch for that matter.
Old 06-07-2007, 01:20 PM

When you get to highway 1 in mendocino county it will keep you right on the coast, otherwise 101 will be inland a ways, but a much faster road.
Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 AM

IMHO it's worth ging from 1 to 101 on hwy 128 a bit south of Ft. Bragg and dumps you into Cloverdale. Hwy 20 isn't too bad, but 128 is a better road especially RV'ing. The only bad part is you miss Avenue of the Giants, but by then you've seen a lot of redwoods along the way.

I really like Cresent City area. Can't recommend any campsites per se'. We usually dry camp on Forestry land or squat on timber company property ;-)

Enjoy your trip.