Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

MaxBrake or BrakeSmart?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 06:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MaxBrake or BrakeSmart?

I have 4 Jordan controllers in the towing vehicles. The 2 in the Chevys and the one in the 99 work flawlessly. The one in the 2000 never seems right. I cannot get it to track with the pedal movement. It seems as though I cannot get enough cable movement with the pedal travel. You would think that the install between the 99 and 2000 Dodges would be the same, but no. One can do a brake job on the truck and get them to work reasonable for a while then the trailer brakes seem to fade on the setting. I have moved the bracket down the pedal arm repetedly to the point that I am having problems with cable alignment or hitting the cable with your foot. I have messed with this all I want to and have been instructed do "get a better one". Again the Jordans are perfect in the two Chevys and the 99 Dodge. The 2000 is a complete pain.
Anyone have experience with the MaxBrake? Anyone have BrakeSmart experience? Where do you find the BrakeSmart? Internet search makes it look like they are gone..
Thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 06:17 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I have both the Maxbrake and the Brakesmart, both great products but I would probably lean toward the Maxbrake if I had to choose

They make ALL the other brake controllers seem like they are 50 years obsolete. Nothing compares to the way they perform, just use the brakes like there is no trailer back there at all.

Call Southwest Wheels for the Maxbrake, great people, great service and fantastic product!
Old 10-11-2010, 08:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Maxbraake
Old 10-11-2010, 08:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Found Brake Smart

http://www.drperformance.com/brakesmart.html

This was a post I found about Max Brake on another forum. If I can get an approval I post a link to it. But for now I'll cut and past. It has made me think twice about ordering.

Post 1
Max Brake Problems!

So I bought one of them high dollar Max Brakes a month ago and loved it for about two weeks. Then it took a ****, called them & they had me do a few things over the phone. I then had to send it to them because something in the manual brake control got messed up, this happened a lot by the sounds of it. I asked them to overnight things but that didn't happen. I also asked them if they could just send me a new one so I wouldn't be down for a couple of days waiting for my 2 week old one to be fixed and they said I should go buy another brake controller to get me on the road until mine was repaired (what!) Anyways, 4 days later ($140 out on another Prodigy) my Max brake comes back. I put it in the truck the following weekend & it worked for an hour then quit. I messed up the cheap mounting bracket while pulling it out & putting the P2 back in. They wanted me to send it back in to be repaired again (cost $80 to overnight). I asked them to replace the unit & they said no. So I asked for a refund on the product of which they said okay. I sent it in & they said because of the messed up $5 bracket they wouldn't refund the money. I haven't spoke to them yet this week but I'm not happy with the customer service & the fact that I have a $400 brake controller that doesn't work so I bought a $140 P2 to get me by & $150 into shipping. So if your thinking about buying a Max Brake make sure you have a replacement controller with you just in case. These things look cheap & mine performed that way. Good thing I have a big truck to stop my trailer as I was in NJ rush hour when it quit working & had no trailer brakes.

Post 2
Hold on now who have you been talking to?this is a family owned comany and thay are super nice and would do anything to make it right you must be talking to a middle man.
I went to there shop thay had to build a wiring harness for mine and i have never had one problem with mine thay build everything there at there shop i seen it myself
I can give them a call for you if you like im 100% sure thay will make it right 337-542-4050 is the shop number there mom and daughters are the ones that answer the phones

Post 3
I have no doubt they are a mom & pop shop. I never said they were rude, just said I don't have time to send a $400 brake controller in every week for repair & carry a spare. It may have been a faulty controller (it happens), I just don't have the time or patience to deal with it right now. I lost a day on the road due to this, which cost a lot more than their brake controller. I bought it threw Southwest, which is who has to okay the refund (which they did not as of yet). I will be on the phone with them tomorrow as my wife has been dealing with it this week because I've just been to busy & irritated about the deal. I spoke to the engineer (John?) at the number you posted the first time the controller messed up. When one of our electronic loggers messes up on a customers race sled we replace it with new one until theirs is repaired & working properly (we don't sell hundreds of these maybe 20 a year but that's customer service). I was also told the President of the company was going to call me but never heard anything. Hopefully everything will be worked out. I don't care if they keep $100 for the messed up bracket. Never had a $100 brake controller break, so I would think a $400 dollar one wouldn't mess up twice. I hope they make it right.

And one of the last
I have a new dust collector. They said its fixed but it isn't. Works for a few minutes then takes a crap. Nice Company to deal with, not, never again, nor would I recommend them to anyone. They act as if its not possible that an electronic device could break. I have my prodigy in there right now & no problems in a month. They might be nice people but that's as far as it goes.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:13 PM

I can't comment on the Maxbrake, never used one. I love my Brakesmart though. It was the first thing I did to my 06. Tore the inertia controller out that the previous owner had and installed the Brakesmart.
Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 PM

Keep the reasons coming

Thanks

Last edited by electrifried; 10-11-2010 at 09:18 PM. Reason: cant read
Old 10-12-2010, 09:34 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
I had a Jordan and loved it. After a panic stop I couldnt seem to keep it adjusted after that. Always had to mess with it. So earlier this year I bought a Maxbrake and havent looked back. I like it even better than the Jordan. I did a fair amount of research before purchasing and couldnt find any real negative comments on it. The one previously posted here is the first one I have seen.
Old 10-12-2010, 10:11 AM

We have 3 maxbrakes, in a 1/2 ton, 3/4 and 1 ton and have worked flawlessly. I had a sensor ever so slightly leak and they sent out a whole new unit OVERNIGHT. I replaced the part and sent the rest back. Great service from great people

This is an amazing product. Works from -42 to 104 degrees without issue. When I traded in my 2000, the stipulation in the deal was I kept my brake controller. I have no vested interest in the company, but this is a great product with great service!!!

I never knew electric brakes could be as smooth and linear as hydraulic.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:16 AM

Brakesmart for me and it has been great. The only odd thing is, it has a function that when no brakes are being applied it can scroll Bible verses across the screen. I have mine turned off - that's what Sundays are for!

Old 10-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Thats funny!
Old 10-12-2010, 04:19 PM

Maxbrake. I called with installation problems Sunday at 6pm and left a message. They called me back within 30m and walked me through it...now that's customer service.