Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Long 5th Wheel Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Long 5th Wheel Experience

Wife and I are looking at 5th wheels, she wants the ones that are 36' to 40' long. Dry WGT avg is 11-12k and GVWR 14-17K. I want to know if anyone on the DTR pulls a 5ver of that length and weight on a regular basis? How tough is it to get around? Any campgrounds turn you away due to the length?

Looking at Openroad 366 and up, Sandpiper 36RLTS Ax6 and the Everest 364Q in that order.

Old 03-01-2004, 07:27 AM

I pull a 36.5' Fiver, loaded light it weighs about 15,500 or so. No problem towing, just be aware when you are turning you need to swing wide. I have never been turned away from a campground because of length. I do understand there might be an issue with length at some state or national parks. I haven't stayed at any of these so I cannot say from experience. I have towed my unit with a 2003 dually HO with 48re did a great job. I am looking foward to towing with my 04.5 6 speed!
Old 03-01-2004, 07:33 AM

Forgot to mention in earlier post; If you are planning on towing in mountainous or very hilly terrain you might want to invest in a Exhaust brake. I chose Jacobs because it is warranteed by DC, I believe for 3 years or 36,000 miles. If I am wrong about the length of warranty I am sure someone will correct me.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you're concerned about such things, be careful of your truck's GVWR and GCWR when looking at these beasts. We tow a 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS - a 36' triple slide. The loaded weight is 13,500 lbs (equal to its GVWR: ) with dealer options (2nd A/C, washer/dryer, etc.) and our stuff. Since our truck weighs 7,680 lbs loaded, that puts us on the road at 10,380 lbs GVW (10,500 lbs GVWR) and 21,180 lbs GCW (21,500 lbs GCWR). We've walked away from larger, heavier 5th wheels that we would have liked to have strictly because they would put us over our truck's ratings.

Rusty
Old 03-01-2004, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the replies, I have the Jake Brake being installed just forgot to put it in my SIG. RustyJC, you carry all those acronyms, that's why your close to your GVWR. HAHAHA ;-)

Waiting on 04.5 "600" QC L/B 3500 DRW, Six speed, Limited Slip, 4X4, 4.10 & Jacobs E-Brake in Flame Red - Laramie
Old 03-01-2004, 08:39 AM

Ummm....yep, you're probably right!

Rusty
Old 03-02-2004, 03:57 PM

32 foot or less unless your a full timer

My first fifth wheel was a 35 foot triple axle. First time I drove was 10:00pm to 7:00 am. I had never drove a fifth wheel before. Before I made it home I went through a two hour thunderstorm, fog, and ended in morning rush hour traffic. The first time we went camping, I did not look a the map of campground, and I ended up at a cul-de-sac big enough to only turn around a pop up in. As we began camping more and more we realized that we wanted to go shorter with more slide outs. This gave up the same square footage, but I can spin and park my new 28 footer in places now that make people awe. Much less to worry about going down the road make the trip that much more enjoyable.

james
Old 03-02-2004, 04:10 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
We're towing a 36' Carriage. Listed length is 36'11" - - - why not call it a 37' and be done with it. There are some national and state parks that you could have a problem with, no question. Most of them can handle you, just have to pick and chose carefully. You might check out the Carriage Cameo line. They have a new 5 slider that is gorgeous. You should be able to hold it under 15,500 if you are careful. I am in the 15,500 area but I have the LS. Carriage makes a fine unit, good materials and great service. Our 2003 HO 6 speed pulls it very nicely. I do have the ebrake. I did not put in the washer/dryer - - weight and you have to be in a campground to use it anyway. Guess what? All campgrounds have washers/dryers and I don't have to fix them when they break and don't have to clean up when they overflow.
Old 03-02-2004, 05:34 PM

You might check out the Carriage Cameo line. They have a new 5 slider that is gorgeous. You should be able to hold it under 15,500 if you are careful. I am in the 15,500 area but I have the LS. Carriage makes a fine unit, good materials and great service.

What kind of price range do these fall in?
Old 03-02-2004, 06:08 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally posted by rkelso98
You might check out the Carriage Cameo line. They have a new 5 slider that is gorgeous. You should be able to hold it under 15,500 if you are careful. I am in the 15,500 area but I have the LS. Carriage makes a fine unit, good materials and great service.

What kind of price range do these fall in?
Boy, I didn't look at the sticker. DUH. Can't believe I did that. I have seen comments that they come in loaded at about $50K after dealing. I could be way off, but I don't think so. They are really a nice coach, four seasons, well insulated, good stuff. Carriage is in with stuff like Newmar - - very similar in construction but pricing is just a tad below as well as the weight. Obviously the bottom line is highly dependant on the goodies chosen.

They have a new "entry" level at less money that rivals some of the other brands "top of the line". Can't remember the name of it, but I did wander in one - - looked really good.
Old 03-02-2004, 08:56 PM
Banned

I think when people seriously start thinking about very large trailers as you mentioned they often overlook or minimize the many issues of such a huge tow.
First should be your experience level, do you feel comfortable with a large trailer? Have you tow trailers before?? how big, both length and weight?? One this large isn't for the "just starting" group.
It the answers in the first paragraph are in line, then You should look at your equipment. Without question you will be needing a 3500 DRW,4.10 R&P CTD. Also I think a E-brake becomes mandatory on anything after 12,00lbs. I'll assume your trailer is dual axle (not many offer the tri-axle) with brakes on both, you will need a good brake controller. While on the subject, I think without a good controller for the E-brake, you don't realize the full potential of the up-grade.
I too pull a 36' trailer, it weighs in at 17,000+ and does pull nicely, but any stock CTD will struggle when attempting large mountainous terrain. Regardless of what anyone tells you, that is a large load for the truck.
You and your co-pilot will both have to keep a watchful eye on traffic, road conditions, traffic signals and the unaware motorist. Your stopping distance is very much increased and you have to adjust your driving style, speed, following distance to match the load. Good luck, and don't get anything bigger then you feel you can handle.
Old 03-02-2004, 10:25 PM

Originally posted by y-knot
Also I think a E-brake becomes mandatory on anything after 12,00lbs.
FWIW,
My owners manual suggests an e-brake for anything over 10K.
Buzz
Old 03-03-2004, 12:31 AM

FiverBob, 50K is way over my budget. I am trying to swing something in the 30-34K range and sell my TT for around 8-9K to be the down payment. y-knot, I will be new to pulling a load this heavy and long. I pulled the TT which was pushing the limit on my Astro Van, especially when we went to Disney. I live in the mountains and know that brakeing is VERY important. I had to put my Astro Auto in 1 low to pull my trailer up the hill from my house, top speed around 5 mph. I learn very quickly and have learned to drive like my father did, safe. Considering all the input and experience, I will try and stay under 34' and 14K lbs. loaded. Shorter is better seems to be the rule. If I can't convince the wife I'll tell her she will have to do the driving.

I have the Jacobs Brake on order with my truck, you mentioned a controller for the Jacobs? Does it work with the trailer brakes? Never heard of that before or am I just confused, as always.
Old 03-03-2004, 09:40 AM

Originally posted by rkelso98
I have the Jacobs Brake on order with my truck, you mentioned a controller for the Jacobs? Does it work with the trailer brakes? Never heard of that before or am I just confused, as always.
The exhaust brake (Jacobs e-brake) and trailer brake controller are 2 separate items. The Jacobs e-brake will come with its own controller system that ties into the truck's PCM - you can switch it on or off. If your truck comes with the trailer tow package, it will be set up for a trailer brake controller you'll have to install. IMHO, the best trailer brake controllers on the market right now for heavy trailer applications are the BrakeSmart or (for about half the money) the Jordan.

Rusty
Old 03-03-2004, 11:14 AM

Twenty five years ago my wife and I lived and traveled in a 39' 5th wheel. It was great for living in. It was work when towing it. We towed it with a F350 with a 460 gasser and a 3 speed auto. Other then not setting any speed records, the F350 was just about out of its capability to tow that big of a 5er. We did this for 4 years and 30K miles. Back then, we had to pass up a lot of RV parks and campgrounds because of our length. Today, most of the parks can handle the longer lengths.

You have the truck that can tow just about any RV 5er being made today. Do get a good 5th wheel hitch, and a good brake controller. The last thing you want to worry about, is whether or not you can stop that rig!! If in doubt, always go one grade up in quality and/or rating.

About a year ago, my wife and I decided to get into RVing for fun! By my sig. you can see what we have. Compared to what we experienced 25 years ago, our present rig is a piece of cake and a joy to tow!

I actually look forward to towing with the CTD

At the end of the day, I am still pleasent to be with

Here is wishing you "Happy Trails"

Quick Reply: Long 5th Wheel Experience