Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Just bought a 3H GN

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One thing i'll add real quick, do yourself and your horse a favor, and PLEASE get a bottle or tube of banamine and either a tube, powder, tabs (your choice) of bute. If you don't get some banamine, I will make every effort to hunt you down hahahaha.

Always AT LEAST have those two meds...

Gotta go deliver a horse, see ya!
HH
Old 03-30-2007, 02:32 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats megabit. I ride saddle mules. Not a good muleskinner by far, just got into it 3 yrs ago. people that grew up with horses and mules sometimes don't even realize how much they know about them, it is second nature to them. My folks said if we couldn't eat it we wouldn't feed it. However, I know enough to load them in trailer and haul them to wherever I want to ride, and get em home. It is a great hobby, or lifestyle, you will meet some great people and should have a ton of fun. Learn what colic is and how to treat it. Lots to learn but sure is fun. I have a 2 horse / 3horse slantload Sundowner gooseneck with Large changing and sleeping comp. Didn't even know what a sundowner was when I bought it - 6500$ but it is 94 model, great shape. Seems things are different prices as to what region you live. Sounds like a nice trailer you got, remember to post some pics. My dang truck sits so high I had to raise the box up off axles to get good clearance over bedrails, don't know why they make these truck so high. Better go seems I'm pretty social this evening.
Old 03-30-2007, 09:09 PM

Wow is it ever going to take some practice to learn to back this thing up. Hell I'm having trouble keeping the trailer off curbs when I turn.

The trailer had an out of state plate, so Kalifornia wants to inspect the trailer before they will issue a title. So my first trip towing the thing is to the Oceanside DMV. To say the ultra busy DMV parking lot was not big trailer friendly would be a bit of an understatement. Hell I don't think they really needed that dam bush anyhow.

Mike
Old 03-30-2007, 09:25 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Once you get good at gettig out of tight spots it gets fun to see if you can really get parked in there thats how i learned LOL
Old 03-30-2007, 09:46 PM
Banned

Your truck won't even notice an empty trailer is back there. Banamine & Bute are a good idea. Always carry some in the trailer and have some at the house.
Old 03-30-2007, 11:01 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

I cary banimean and bute and vet wrap furazone gauze and duck tape
Old 04-19-2007, 10:42 AM

Used the trailer for the first time last night. Took my trainer to take a second look at a Mustang with me. Took the trailer too just in case she thought he was a good prospect. Well we were not empty on the drive home.
Meet Goose my new 12yr old Mustang Gelding:

A few more pics at flickr photo set
Attached Thumbnails Just bought a 3H GN-461126615_1c3a2511f6_o.jpg  
Old 04-19-2007, 11:15 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on teh new horse, mustangs can be great trail horses!

Been pricing 3h slants with LQ's for the last 5-6 weeks, seeing prices for factory LQ's running anywhere from 12500 up into the 38K range( used of course)...found a really nice Elite 2H that was in on consignment for 147K....
just a touch to high for me! No wlooking at a 4 Star down on teh south TX coast...

The most basic thing to remember as you are learning to tow your horse around is SLOW DOWN...

You can always go around the block, take the next exit and double back, what ever, but dont slam your brakes.....leave twice the room in front of you that you think you need..
You'll get there, theres no points added at the show/roping/ trail ride for being the first to arrive or getting there fastest......learn to take your time...
As you gain experience, you can relax and you'll develop a sense of speed/stopping distance and such, but the biggest mistake most new horse owners make while trailering is simply try to drive like they already know what they are doing, and doing it all way too fast.....
you give your horse enough unpleasant rides in teh trailer and soon you'll have a horse that will balk and fight you about loading, as well as one with some really banged up hocks/knees, noses and forheads!

remember that every movement of your vehicle is magnified to your horse.. if you feel acceleration or deceleration, odds are your horse is getting slammed ito a wall.....

its not really hard, just take your time and enjoy travelling with your horse!
Old 04-19-2007, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn

The most basic thing to remember as you are learning to tow your horse around is SLOW DOWN...
Sounds like good advice and by the way I don't think I have ever driven as slow as I did last night on the way back to the barn.

Mike
Old 04-19-2007, 12:02 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by megabit
Sounds like good advice and by the way I don't think I have ever driven as slow as I did last night on the way back to the barn.

Mike
It gets easy in time, its just developing a new set of driving habits for when the trailer is hooked up.