12 Valve Engine and Drivetrain Talk about the 12V engine and drivetrain here. This is for 1994-1998.5 engine and drivetrain discussion only.

just bought diesel

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2002, 06:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just bought diesel

i just bought my first dodge cummins its a 97, 3500 , auto, 4x4 seems to run good it has 187000 miles but seems real tight yet. anything that i should look out for inparticular with these trucks. also i want to turn up the power just a little, whats the best way to do that. <br> thanks ahead of time
Old 11-13-2002, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:just bought diesel

Welcome boehunter49!

You've found a great place for all kinds of information and great folks.

Congradulations on your purchase!

There are several things you may want to look at for turning up the power, just depends on how far you want to take it.
There is a range of things from adjusting the stock cam plate (or replacing it with a different plate)(Not sure if a 97 has a cam plate. If not, then it is computerized and there are several chips you can add on to really boost power. EZ's chip can be bought from this site's store), to bigger governer springs, to larger injectors, .
Just depends on how far you want to take it.

Things to watch for.... well the more power your diesel puts out, the harder it works your tranny. These auto transmisions are not the strongest but are ok for stock power. But you start adding the mods and the trannys life decreases inversly to the increase in power.
Also, depending on how the truck was previously used, you may want to check the KDP. (For a description of the kdp, look at this sites FAQ section).
Also, dont use any &quot;cheap&quot; oil filter on these trucks. Stick with the filters available from Cummins, or a Dodge dealer. The cheap filters (Fram included) can break apart and clog the oil passages in these trucks.

I dont want to worry you, you take care of these CTD's and they will last a very long time, 187,000 miles isnt much if it was well taken care of.
Continue to take care of it, and it will take care of you.

Again, Congradulations and before you know it, the folks on this site will have you bombing that truck in no time (B.O.M.B.= Better Off Modified Baby).

Rich.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:55 PM
yz

Well congratulations on your new truck. WEll I have 245,000 miles and still running great. One problem to look for is the track bar. I had a problem called the death wobble. When driving down the high way @70 MPH and hit a pot hole and the truck would shake really really bad. other then that I have not had much problems. If you are plaing on getting more power I would check out torque plates. TST products makes them and I think wild cat diesel has torque plates for are trucks also. But before you start bombing you might want guages and aftermaket air system. Good luck -Anthony
Old 11-13-2002, 06:58 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

you might want guages
<br>Forgot about that those. Definately want gauges before you start adding more power.<br><br>Rich.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:20 PM
yz

Torque plates, cam plates same thing. Dieseldaze remembered to say KDP. Good thing too. http://dodgeram.org/tech/dsl/Dowel_Pin/tab.htm This will have the information on the KDP and or search the other posts on the KDP on this site. Plus keep seaching through the posts on bombing and you will learn a lot of info. -Anthony
Old 11-13-2002, 11:55 PM

Bowhunter49, I would try and make contact with previous owner and asked if the kdp (killer dowel pin), its the gear case alignment dowel pin, has been tabbed or jig fixed. You would have to remove fan assembly to check for jig fix and the gear case cover to check for tab job. <br><br>Jerry
Old 11-14-2002, 09:19 AM

Don't forget to change all fluids in the truck. A lot of people just don't think too. Like how long has the brake fluid and power steering fluid been in there<br>Michael
Old 11-14-2002, 03:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya know, in all the vehicles I've owned (well, not that many) <br>I've changed out fluid in all the differentials, transmissions, transfer cases, cooling systems, windshield washers, oil (of course), bet never even thought about brakes or power steering.<br><br>I've added brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid (actually brake fluid as well), but never changed them completely.<br><br><br>phox
Old 11-14-2002, 06:49 PM

;D Hay guys thanks for the comebacks. I've read alot about the KDP an thats the first thing i'm going to check out forsure. What gauges do you suggest i put in an is the pillar mount for the gauges a good way to go.<br> thanks again
Old 11-15-2002, 09:20 AM

As far as gages go, pyrometer, boost and auto tranny guys a gage for it. I also have a gage on my differental and air cleaner just for fun. I decided to not go with the pillar mount even though they are vry popular, I was afraid the gages may be too close to my older eyes for quick focusing. I have a gage pod right against the windshield, on top of the dash where it doesn't interfer with vision at all.<br>Michael