Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Jordan Ultima vs. Tekonsha Prodigy

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 03:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jordan Ultima vs. Tekonsha Prodigy

Not looking to start any brand wars, but it is time to replace my Tekonsha Voyager. It is 5 years old and I never really liked the way it performed. I was wondering about the Prodigy. Since it is made by Tekonsha also, could I just unplug the Voyager and plug in the Prodigy and be done? I have read lots of good stuff about both Prodigy and Jordan (been researching for a month now) and have narrowed it down to these two. I would really like to get a Brakesmart, but for now, it is out of our budget. Both the Prodigy and Jordan are in our budget and comparably priced.
Which do you have and how do you like it? Any problems? Ease of installation?
The truck is in my sig. The trailer is a '99 Travel Supreme Express fiver, with 3 single axles. Combined weight rolling down the road is right around 25K lbs.

Thanks......Steve

P.S. How do I make this a poll for easier voting?
Old 12-11-2004, 05:12 AM

The Prodigy will plug right in and is one of the better decelerometer units on the market. Of the two I think the Jordan would be your best choice in terms of performance. I don't have one so I can's speak to installation. I use the BrakeSmart and I think it is worth every penny. I know you are not in the market for the BrakeSmart but you asked what I currently use.

Casey
Old 12-11-2004, 05:44 AM

Thanks Casey. I really think Brakesmart is the best, but right now it is just a little out of our budget. I think I could live with the Prodigy, especially if it is a direct replacement. It seems like I am constantly having to adjust the Voyager while I am towing, and it is getting frustrating. I found a site where I could by either the Prodigy or Jordan for under $100, not including accessories. It may be worth rewiring though if enough people think the Jordan is better. Decisions, decisions.
Steve
Old 12-11-2004, 07:20 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
There are a ton of threads on "prodigy vs jordan". You'd be better off doing a search than having everyone re-type thier opinions.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:26 AM

Ive been happy with my prodigy, I had to slam on the brakes last week and I heard a quick chirp from the trailer wheels locking and I was stopped, the boost adj comes in handy when im towing empty I just set to b1 and no further adjusting is needed I picked mine up on ebay for 80 dollars
Old 12-11-2004, 10:44 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
My Prodigy is in the storage compartment as a backup to my Jordan. Like the Jordan much better.

And you hush, Casey.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:04 PM

I have not had any experence with any controller other than BRAKESMART.
and most likely never will.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:03 PM

I've run them both and they bothe are great. I will that the Jordan has it's advantages and dis advantages over the Prodigy and vice versa. My Prodigy is now my backup to my Jordan, but I like them both. Either one is a good choise so choose one or both so you will have a backup and possibly be able to compair them both for yourself.
OK so you didn't get the cut and dry answer you wanted
Old 12-12-2004, 08:55 AM

In the last 6 years I've had 4 different brake units, including the Prodigy. I LOVE the Jordan. Had to lock up my 2500 & 5ver a couple weeks back....first time I ever did that...I was WAY impressed with the way the Jordan handled it. But mostly, I'm impressed with the fact that I never have to adjust the darn thing, and it always gives me the perfect braking action. The little red button has just started to stick, though. Mostly when it is cold...I have to tap it to unstick it.
Old 12-12-2004, 02:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Jordan is awesome - totally proportionate braking and easily adjustable/installed. Fiverbob may chime in I bet, he's had both and tows like a madman
Old 12-13-2004, 04:23 AM

Made the decision !

Thanks everyone for the input. It was tough to decide between the Prodigy and Jordan. From what I read though, I wouldn't regret either one. I decided to go with the Prodigy for 2 reasons....1..it is a direct plug-in replacement for the Voyager and will be a very quick install/swap. 2...A fellow member on another diesel site made me an offer on a new-still-in-the-box Prodigy that I couldn't afford to pass up

Thanks again for all the input. I have also started saving pennies for the Brakesmart unit. Who knows...in a few years............
Steve
Old 12-13-2004, 08:29 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Now that your decision is made, I'll chime in with another vote for the Jordan. I don't like inertia driven controllers like the Prodigy. I think Jordan has a better system. On top of that, you get a built in ammeter with the Jordan.

That said, I'm sure you'll be happy with your Prodigy.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:40 AM

Where did you find them for under $100?
Old 12-14-2004, 06:06 PM

Citizen......check out rvwholesaler.com. If I remember, they had them for $98 ro $99. They had both the Prodigy and Jordan priced within $1 of each other.
Steve