Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller

Installed a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller (truck has factory tow package, just hooked up the harness and bolted it in). I have not towed with it yet, but I have noticed that sometimes when I get in the truck and press the brake pedal, instead of just one little led lighting up on the screen (as should happen with no trailer hooked up), there is a 0.9 (or something like this) that is visible for a few seconds, then all returns to normal (single led lit up).<br>Has anyone experienced this? I understand from a friend on the Ford forums that this is common and that when a trailer is hooked up this situation doesn't occur and that people haven't had any problems with the controller actuating the brakes. The Ford forum suggests calling Tekonsha, some people have and have had varying results.
Old 02-19-2003, 07:23 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller

Hotdram,
My Prodigy always showed a voltage whenever I depressed the brake pedal, hooked up or not. Prodigy uses the brake light as the signal that the brakes are &quot;going&quot; to be used. It immediately shoots something like 14 - 25% of the total braking voltage to the brake line even though you may have not yet depressed the pedal sufficiently to even activate the truck brakes. Then, the electronics take over trying to decide how much decelleration is going on in the truck and applying an appropriate braking voltage to the trailer.

The Jordan controller does not even hook up to the brake lights, rather uses a cable attached to the top of the brake pedal arm. The trailer brakes are applied in direct proportion to the amount of brake pedal applied.

I think you are seeing that initial surge voltage when the controller sees the brake light circuit activated.
Bob
Old 02-19-2003, 07:43 AM

Hotdram,<br> My Prodigy does exactly what you described. It did it when it was in my Ford and now it does it in my Dodge.<br> When I hook a trailer up it works perfectly. <br> The o9 signal you describe indicates there is a short in the system, when a trailer is hooked up.
Old 02-19-2003, 04:51 PM

My prodigy does this when not hooked up to a trailer.<br>Once it is hooked up everthing is fine. It has something to do<br>with the controller checking for proper tailer hookup. Since your trailer is not connected it produces the error code once then settles into not connected mode. ;D Enjoy you have one of if not THE BEST break controller available
Old 02-19-2003, 04:57 PM

Thanks y'all,<br>I will feel safer when I finally get to tow something that requires the Prodigy (on that note: does anyone have any tips for how to persuade the CFO that a goose-neck trailer is a necessity ?).
Old 02-19-2003, 06:07 PM

If it is the same as what mine does, it is telling you it senses a low voltage condition when you first start up the truck and the heater grids draw on the battery. Once they finish cycling everything is fine. At least it sounds like that may be your problem.<br><br>Casey
Old 02-21-2003, 09:53 AM

Mine does the same thing, trailer hooked up or not, any time the truck is cold and the pre heater is cycling. Once it warms up and quits cycling, the error code never shows. It has never effected the brakes on the trailer, they always work and this code only comes on the first time I hit the peddle, if I let off and hit it again it works like it supposed to.<br><br>CTDCAL
Old 02-21-2003, 10:48 AM

Don't forget to adjust it for the new trailer when it comes , or anything you can find to tow in the meantime <br>I'm happy with mine.
Old 06-21-2003, 06:04 PM
cp

Will be needing another Prodigy in the near future and the place where I got my first one is up to $124.95 now (I paid $99 a year and a half ago).<br><br>Anybody know of a source? I'll do a search but sometimes that doesn't cover all the bases.<br><br>Thanks.
Old 06-22-2003, 12:11 PM

SouthWest Wheel had good prices a while ago; now they also are $125.<br><br>http://www.brakecontroller.com/<br><br>Rene
Old 06-23-2003, 03:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They're only $99.99, here. http://www.truckxpressions.com/truck...ha_prodigy.htm<br>
Old 06-23-2003, 04:57 AM

OK, here is the latest on the Prodigy Brake controller. If you check out their web site you find out that there is a TSB out for a known fault with the 03 Dodge Cummins. I t appears that the sense voltage level was changed and is now causing the Prodigy to give FALSE indications when there is not a trailer connected. There is nothing wrong with the controller and it will not hurt anything. I would however reccommend that you call them and get it Flashed to the new software. Actually they just sent me a new one when I sent mine to them. Problem solved, no more blinky lights or anything.<br>I hope that helps you : : ??? ???
Old 06-23-2003, 05:36 PM

I just checked out the Prodigy site: the display is: o.g. for Open Ground; It's caused by the diesel &amp; can be cured with a reflash.<br><br>The site says braking is unaffected, tho - good thing!<br><br>I'll give them a call tomorrow.<br><br>Rene
Old 06-25-2003, 12:04 PM

Okay, I called them -<br><br>The tech support person says this only applies to FORD diesels; I guess you guys are imagining things.... :<br><br>Rene
Old 06-25-2003, 05:17 PM
cp

[quote author=gadgets link=board=11;threadid=11142;start=0#153239 date=1056560674]<br>Okay, I called them -<br><br>The tech support person says this only applies to FORD diesels; I guess you guys are imagining things.... :<br><br>Rene<br>[/quote]<br><br>Those poor Ford guys can't get a break--even the brake controller needs a reflash.<br><br>Thanks for info, guys.

Quick Reply: Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller