Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Jeep Towing

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 02:51 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't use J-hooks too easy to crush a brake line if your not paying attention. The cleanest set up for an off road rig would me to weld D-ring tabs onto the axle and use D-rings to hook the chain or strap to. No worrying about bending your securement points since the D-rings would just swing freely under the truck when in use.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:39 PM
Chapter President

Body or Frame?

Are you guys tying down the frame or the body? I use the tow hooks on the front (stock) and then throw a strap over the back (going from driver to passanger) and tie the rear down.

I find it's nice to have that flexy suspension tied down when haulin.....it is fun to see how it bounces sometimes though.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by CODODGE2500MAN
Are you guys tying down the frame or the body? I use the tow hooks on the front (stock) and then throw a strap over the back (going from driver to passanger) and tie the rear down.

I find it's nice to have that flexy suspension tied down when haulin.....it is fun to see how it bounces sometimes though.
This would be tying the axles.
Old 02-12-2008, 09:48 AM

I tie from the axles, and then use my winch to suck the front end down.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I took some old 9/16th ubolts, and cut the loop off, then welded it to them axle tubes.

Works great, and didn't really cost me anything. 2 on each axle lets me cross my chains when I tow.
Old 02-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Chapter President

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Both frame and axles with my chain assemblies in the pics.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:34 PM

Originally Posted by fiveology
Don't use J-hooks too easy to crush a brake line if your not paying attention. The cleanest set up for an off road rig would me to weld D-ring tabs onto the axle and use D-rings to hook the chain or strap to. No worrying about bending your securement points since the D-rings would just swing freely under the truck when in use.
I don't have any brake lines on my rear axle with the twin handled cutting brake setup. Both sides drop individually from the frame rail with strainless braided. I think it would drive me nuts with a set of d-rings clanging around under there while I drove down the trail.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:26 PM
jta

I tie my Zuk down by the tires. I have THESE on the front and just use a regular strap with a short sling to make a loop around the back tire. I work at a car dealership and see the flat beds hauling cars in like this all the time. Here is what it looks like on the trailer, well kind of the Zuk is much bigger now.

Old 02-17-2008, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by CTD NUT
with one load binder per corner.

You are gonna hurt yourself with those binders. You need ratcheting binders instead.

Merrick