Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

How about converting a big-rig trailer?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 11:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about converting a big-rig trailer?

Hi again!

Ya know, I see big rig trailers pretty cheap.

I'd like to hear thoughts on converting something like this to a gooseneck?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=1872553239

Seems like you could drop the hitch straight down from the deck if it were high enough.

Sean
Old 11-13-2002, 05:19 AM

Re:How about converting a big-rig trailer?

Why not just put a fifth wheel receiver in. With that said, The weight of the trailer is just about going to be the max gross weight you can pull. Plus, you would have to install air brakes. Thing to do if you want to pull a flatbed like that is buy a small semi tractor. You can get a used single axle Pete or Freightliner with a sleeper for 5-7K. As a matter of fact, I saw one last week that a guy had bought that was a single axle Peterbilt with a fifth wheel receiver for a travel trailer. A friend of mine in Atlanta bought a Pete with a sleeper for $5K. He put a paint job on it and did some other cosmetic work to the interior and now pulls his race truck with it.
Old 11-15-2002, 01:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Smoke Dog link=board=11;threadid=6986;start=0#66180 date=1037186360]<br>Why not just put a fifth wheel receiver in. With that said, The weight of the trailer is just about going to be the max gross weight you can pull. Plus, you would have to install air brakes. Thing to do if you want to pull a flatbed like that is buy a small semi tractor. You can get a used single axle Pete or Freightliner with a sleeper for 5-7K. As a matter of fact, I saw one last week that a guy had bought that was a single axle Peterbilt with a fifth wheel receiver for a travel trailer. A friend of mine in Atlanta bought a Pete with a sleeper for $5K. He put a paint job on it and did some other cosmetic work to the interior and now pulls his race truck with it. <br>[/quote]<br><br>Yeah and 6 to 7 miles per gallon instead of 12 to 14. That is the main reason that I keep the small truck. I burn around 700 gallons a month, with a larger truck that would be 1400. I can almost live on the savings. It makes the difference between the trucking paying and not.
Old 11-15-2002, 05:49 PM

I don't disagree with that HID. My point is, if you want to pull a trailer like that, you would be better off to buy a semi. Otherwise, get a flatbed built for these smaller trucks. I saw the guy with the semi rigged to tow his travel trailer. He said he's getting 10-12 mpg. It's a single axle with a Cat 3206. A little bigger than the FL-70 but if you've got that kind of money, I'm sure it's cheaper than a 500K Blue Bird Wonderlodge.