Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

hitching on a slope??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 07:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hitching on a slope??

I am considering a 5th wheel to replace my slide in camper. I have not towed with a 5th wheel hitch before, only a standard trailer hitch.
Can someone tell me if a 5th wheel can be hitched and unhitched on a sloped driveway? This is of course assuming the wheels have been locked using those scissors type wheel chocks that fit between the dual axle tires prior to attempting the (un) hitching.

I ask because I am wondering if I can store a 5th wheel on the gravel pad by my current driveway while loading and readying for trips or even longer. Leaving it hitched to the truck would block the sidewalk.

Rocky
Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There would be no reason it wouldn't it hit and unhitch just fine. Most of the systems work just like the tractor trailers and a hitch and unhitch in all kinds of weird positions.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:22 PM

Precisely.
As long as you are reasonably close to the proper hitch height you should have no problem.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM

An articulating fiver hitch, like Pullrite, is the way to go. It moves front to back & side to side. Without this, a slight change in side angle can result in binding, which can cause you to talk through your teeth.
Weight has nothing to do with it, other than having a fiver hitch rated for at least yoour max fiver weight. I have a 20.5k hitch even though 15k is the most I will tow. It is way better to have more hitch capability, than just getting by. This is something you buy once. Get it right the first time, it costs less in the long run.
Also, an important hint when unhooking. Sometimes pulling into a site will leave a lot of stress on the pin, from pulling in, up a slope, backing, etc.
Release the emergeny brake(minding that the truck will not get away), and it will release the tinsion in the pin & hitch. No problem unhooking now.
Good luck on getting a Fiver! They are the ticket!
Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 PM

An articulating fiver hitch, like Pullrite, is the way to go. It moves front to back & side to side. Without this, a slight change in side angle can result in binding, which can cause you to talk through your teeth.
Weight has nothing to do with it, other than having a fiver hitch rated for at least yoour max fiver weight. I have a 20.5k hitch even though 15k is the most I will tow. It is way better to have more hitch capability, than just getting by. This is something you buy once. Get it right the first time, it costs less in the long run.
Also, an important hint when unhooking. Sometimes pulling into a site will leave a lot of stress on the pin, from pulling in, up a slope, backing, etc.
Release the emergeny brake(minding that the truck will not get away), and it will release the tinsion in the pin & hitch. No problem unhooking now.
Good luck on getting a Fiver! They are the ticket!
Old 06-08-2010, 06:17 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
A word of warning about the wheel locks you are talking about using. I bought one last year and have used it all the time. On my last trip I did about 10 hours of high speed driving then parked. I set the lock and tightened it down as normal. The next day it was loose as though I had not tightened it. It had to be the tires cooling down and shrinking, I know it happens but had never experienced it like this before.