Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

GOT A NEW TRAILER!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2003, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GOT A NEW TRAILER!!!

I got a new trailer. Well, it's new to me at least. It's a car trailer. Don't know how long. It's used. It's been sitting out for a while and has some surface rust and a broken board in the floor and needs some wiring, but other than that it is solid. I have a couple of questions. I don't know if it has trailer brakes on it or not. The pin connector that it has looks like the one on our other trailers that have electric brakes. I'm going to hook my dad's truck up to it and see if it has them tonight. If it doesn't, is there a way I can hook a set up to it? Also, it's a bumper pull. My truck has the towing package on it. I was wondering if this trailer with a 3200lb Mustang on it would over load the tounge weight. It's a double axle so I figure that I can put a lot of the car over the axle and not that much on the nose of it. Please help. Thanks.
Old 03-29-2003, 08:21 PM

Re:GOT A NEW TRAILER!!!

All you got to do is(if it doesnt have trailer brakes) go out and buy a Trailer Brake Kit and then buy a actulator.(Brake Control) Like my trailer I have the 2 4wheelers and the 6x4 gator and the trailer alone weighs about 1 1/2 -2 tons. So if that trailer has dual axle then you should be able to hold the stang.<br>SD03
Old 03-29-2003, 08:38 PM

All you need to do to see if it has brakes is to go look at the wheels. If you see drums and backing plates, its a good bet that its got brakes. If its got rollers - no brakes. I bet its got brakes, and probably electric ones too.<br><br>You can adjust the tongue weight by moving the 'Stang forward or back.
Old 04-01-2003, 03:51 PM
Banned

Well I looked and it doesn't have brakes. It needs to have all the boards replaced and the wiring needs to be done. There is a lot more rust on there than we originally thought but it's still only surface rust.
Old 04-03-2003, 01:01 PM

Blue you will have no trouble pullin the stang. If trailer has a master cylinder on the tongue, then you have surge brakes. If you look at the underneath on the backside of the wheels it will have drums and a backing plate. If you need to add brakes, it is pretty simple. Check with any local trailer parts supply. Having the brakes is safer and won't wear your truck brakes as fast.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:11 PM
Banned

Well, I just found out that we can't keep the trailer. The people who gave it to us decided they wanted it back to make it into a cattle trailer. :'( :'(