Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Interesting comparison

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 06:06 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting comparison

Got a chance to compare my Trucks pulling against my buddy's rig....the last 2 days I drove his truck which is a 96 3500 stock engine with a upgraded tranny and 4:10 rears<br><br>I was pulling my normal loaded trailer to Atlanta and back to Philly about 16500 lbs GVWR....it really surprised me that I was lugging at every big upgrade and had to take OD off to maintain any kind of speed and not lug the engine down (tranny temp climbed fast too) I guess I was surprised be caused he has 4:10 rears......I guess my 3:54 rears work good with my higher horsepower on upgrades because I never take OD off with my truck I make this same run every 2 weeks and always cruise at a steady 70 mph<br><br>After I got back I talked to my buddy about his horsepower....hehehe he ordered a fuel plate and will be gettin a scotty air filter also....I think the bombing bug hit him ;D
Old 03-22-2003, 06:24 PM

Re:Interesting comparison

See....I told you so. 4:10's aren't helping me and I'm talking little bitty grades.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:50 PM
DPG

ladyram,<br><br>I still think you have another problem of some kind....you should be able to walk up those little bitty hills and your CTD shouldn't even notice. What are your RPM's in OD at 60 miles per hour?<br><br>DeWain
Old 03-22-2003, 06:57 PM

I noticed that towing my trailer home last week, I was holding 70 uphill with the ac on and had no problem. It was empty, but it's a 24' enclosed gooseneck. I love 4.10 gears too.<br><br>-SFB
Old 03-22-2003, 07:33 PM
Chapter President

Remember I was comparing like year and model trucks only difference was rear ratio and horsepower my buddy has the same tranny upgrades as my truck...trying to compare other year and horsepower trucks will involve other factors like tire size and 24V motors to 12V motors
Old 03-22-2003, 08:32 PM

Pappy beings you have about 200 more ft lbs of torque than the stock was probably the difference wait until he gets his upgrades and you will probably see a big difference. Matt
Old 03-22-2003, 10:44 PM

[quote author=cumminsgetsome link=board=11;threadid=12628;start=0#119304 date=1048386765]<br>Pappy beings you have about 200 more ft lbs of torque than the stock was probably the difference wait until he gets his upgrades and you will probably see a big difference. Matt<br>[/quote]<br><br>I agree with Matt!
Old 03-23-2003, 04:47 AM
Chapter President

I agree with more HP/Torque his truck will also be able to pull very well....we both pull trailers from the same places....and I know his stock HP hurts his MPG since loaded he only gets 9.5 MPG and I average 14.3 MPG :-*
Old 03-23-2003, 09:58 AM

Well, I can't help but agree with Pappyman about the 354's. I think that diesels should pull with torque, not horsepower.<br><br>The advantage of the 410 is in saving the transmission, IMHO.
Old 03-23-2003, 10:43 AM

You might also do a once-over on your buddy's truck. 9.5 mpg sounds low, even with a heavy load. <br><br>Check his fuel filter, air pressure in his tires, clamps on his turbo boots, might even try a boost leak check.<br>Bone stock, pulling 13000 lbs of trailer, I got 13.58mpg. (summer fuel)<br>Does he have a good synthetic in his rear diff?<br><br>I am sure I am forgetting some things to check.<br><br>If you do not have access to a boost leak checker, try Rip. He used to sell them pretty cheaply.<br>www.sourceautomotive.biz
Old 03-25-2003, 07:11 AM

I didn't try overdrive on this trip, because it was my last trip coming out of Ocala on State Road 27 that I had the problem with the grades in OD. If I remember correctly trying to stay in overdrive at 60 I was about 2000 RPM's. She was still hunting. <br><br>Another time I towed in ovedrive on straight flat stretch of 27 coming out of Miami. She cruised at 65 at about 2200 RPM's but the water temp (idiot gauge) and my Pyro started to climb, not much but enough to cause me concern.<br><br>I guess I'll have to try both ways on my next trip and hopefully have more accurate information.
Old 03-25-2003, 09:34 AM
Chapter President

ladyram
You say &quot;She was still hunting&quot; does that mean it was shifting out of OD (not staying in OD lockup) if thats the case you may have a problem with the tranny....have you tryed a lockup switch this will keep your torque converter locked in OD until you turn it off

http://www.tstproducts.com/tranny_install.html

Old 04-03-2003, 08:15 AM

pappyman,<br><br>Sorry for the delayed response. <br><br>No. When I put her in lockup she stays in lockoup. The hunting was when in OD and going up slight grades. I just read about everyone pulling in OD all the time. I probably being too cautious. I think I need to learn that just because the gauges start to move it doesn't mean something is wrong. <br><br><br><br> :
Old 04-04-2003, 09:05 AM

Gentelmen &amp; Ladyram,<br> Sorry guys, I agree with Ladyram. :'( When I go up &quot;Little Bitty&quot; (as Ladyram calls them ) grades mine does the same thing. When I pull my 7000lb camper at 70mph/1900rpm with overdrive ON, it gears down at the slightest grade. &gt; Do I need to BOMB it some? ??? Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. 8)
Old 04-04-2003, 06:25 PM
Chapter President

Just got parts for my buddys truck and put them in today.....a #4 plate and 3 GSK springs we also put a BHAF on then took a test drive....This man's smile was so big I thought his face would break ;D in his words its like driving a jet plane now.....need to fine tune the plate a little bit more and do some throttle adjustments<br><br>I think he caught the bombing bug now...he's checkin prices on a 4&quot; exhaust now

Quick Reply: Interesting comparison