Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Goose Neck or 5th Wheel Hitch?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Goose Neck or 5th Wheel Hitch?

Hi Everyone,<br>I have a 25' TT now, but plan on upgrading to a 30-32' 5ver in the near future. Probably will gross around 13-14k. I am getting my want list in order and I am asking for advice on hitch styles. I plan on installing 2 toolboxes in the bed for maximum storage. I don't need the gooseneck (I don't have horse trailers) but I am considering for space saving reasons. I have looked at the Cody Hitch and other brands that make the unit for the bed. I notice that the Cody Hitch has a disclaimer about possible problems because of the extra leverage for the adapter for the trailer. Give me some feed back...Which way is the best? Thanks in advance, Ken
Old 01-08-2003, 09:49 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:Goose Neck or 5th Wheel Hitch?

Ken,<br><br>Why don't you wade thru this link first. Then, if you have more questions come back to here. A lot of good information has all ready been posted on this subject.<br><br>http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/i...;threadid=5514<br><br>Happy Kampin<br><br>Bob
Old 01-08-2003, 11:37 PM

Get the 5er with a gooseneck hitch from the factory (most do). That way you get a factory install and warrenty on the 5er with no extra stress on the connection. <br><br>You can get a flat bed with a popup or flip over ball and higher towing rating for the hitch in the truck of 25k to 30K.
Old 01-14-2003, 12:25 AM

Hi Everyone,<br>Well I have done some checking with the local Jayco dealer...He says that Jayco has sent out bulletines stating that they will not cover warranty issues if it is caused by a goose neck adapter. Also he stated that Jayco doesn't offer building their 5vers with a goose neck hitch. So I guess I will look for a 5th wheel platform hitch....Just an update. Ken
Old 01-14-2003, 10:38 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=kamper link=board=11;threadid=9407;start=0#91795 date=1042525502]<br>Hi Everyone,<br>Well I have done some checking with the local Jayco dealer...He says that Jayco has sent out bulletines stating that they will not cover warranty issues if it is caused by a goose neck adapter. Also he stated that Jayco doesn't offer building their 5vers with a goose neck hitch. So I guess I will look for a 5th wheel platform hitch....Just an update. Ken<br>[/quote]<br><br>You find most RV Fivers will void the warranty with a gooseneck setup. Too much strain on the frame. It is a simple matter of leverage. Stick with the standard box.
Old 03-25-2003, 12:37 PM

[quote author=FiverBob link=board=11;threadid=9407;start=0#90109 date=1042084195]<br>Ken,<br><br>Why don't you wade thru this link first. Then, if you have more questions come back to here. A lot of good information has all ready been posted on this subject.<br><br>http://www.dodge-diesel.org/yabbse/i...;threadid=5514<br><br>Happy Kampin<br><br>Bob<br>[/quote]<br><br>Tried that link and got an error - &quot;...topic doesn't exist...&quot; I'm interested in reading it - do you have another link?<br>Thanks.<br>Greg
Old 03-25-2003, 10:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I remember right, that one is where this discussion came up and I had posted about the strain the GN would put on the 5'er frame. I showed Rattlinram how much my heavy duty GN frame flexed and he couldn't believe it and said that he would never hook up a 5'er on that hitch. The GN is made to flex a little where the 5'er frame is not intended to flex at all through the use of the fifth wheel. I have never pulled a 5'er, maybe someday, but I pull a 30 foot GN sometimes loaded to 26,000 gross and it still flexes, you can see it in the mirror. The point of contact surface area on the GN ball offers no lateral support whatsoever compared to the fifth wheel.<br><br>Do yourself a favor and eliminate future headaches, buy the fifth wheel and do it right. Leave that adapter in the magazine.
Old 03-25-2003, 11:24 PM

The adaptor for the 5er trailer is never a good idea. Have a trailer made with the gooseneck hitch connector would work perfectly. Or now use a converter so your gooseneck hitch you can drop a 5er connection on to them. B&amp;W and Putnum both have them.<br><br>Best of both world plus a stronger connection to the frame of the truck.
Old 03-29-2003, 03:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Kamper if you are looking for a double duty hitch that will work for both a goose neck and 5th wheel and use minimum space with maximum capacity look at the FW001 Binkly sold under the Holland Hitch name. The unit can easily be adapted to a slide rail type hitch mount using a 12&quot; plate surface area like the RV 5th wheel and has a 32000lb capacity with jaws like a big truck fifth wheel. Check out the price at any heavy truck jobber and you will probably find that it is cheaper than any RV 5th wheel, 4 times the quality in construction and easier to use. I have run a commercial Holland FW6200 18&quot; 5th wheel for the last 12 years on both gooseneck and RV 5th wheels that I move from truck to truck still using the original jaws. Presently is mounted in a flip up design on a flatdeck I built so we dont have to pack the pig in and out of the truck. I also use a permanently mounted high density plastic lube (or lack there of) slider to eliminate grease except in the jaws so it doesn't matter who's trailer I pull. Unless you are pulling a trailer on extremely uneven ground continously the standard 5th wheel ball is my very last choice for hitches even on stock trailers. The wider the 5th wheel the more stability and support for your trailer even though at times it will be binding slightly on uneven ground. Many people have bought double oscillating RV hitches to prevent this but personally have never had any problem with a good hitch even in oilfield driving in some pretty scary conditions that on your worst RV trip would never encounter. PK
Old 03-29-2003, 10:13 PM

Here is an option for you made by Putnum in Michigan.<br><br>http://www.putnamhitch.com/Fifth%20Family/hawkover.htm<br><br>I already have the Lock n Load gooseneck hitch!