Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Dometic A/C not cooling right

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2012, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dometic A/C not cooling right

Just bought this camper a fue weeks ago an going over it . It has a Onan Gen anyway the compressor kicks in an it will blow cool air but not cold . I pulled the intake grill to check filter an it was just a peace of filter material . While the unit is running it sucks up into the cavity an dozen't keep the hole covered . So I don't know if the condencer has got dirty but I climbed on top an the high press line was hot to the touch but the suction line was just barley cool not even sweating . My guess is its proubly low on freon but I don't find anything about the specs of this machine in the owners manual . I would like to have it it vacumed down checked for leaks an the exact amount of freon an oil put back in . Where is that info under the cover or can you guys think of something else I should do first ? This camper is a 2006 Springdale by KZ .
Old 03-30-2012, 07:57 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Before you open up the system...........

Those symptoms indicate a plugged condenser, the outside coil. Make sure it's clean and re-check.

Once you put fittings in a system, they seem to need service all the time. I've repaired heat pumps where a "certified" AC tech put much too much coolant in by the gauges, and the trouble was a dirty coil. Probably took years off the life of the compressor.
Old 03-30-2012, 08:20 PM

OK J Martin I was thinking that might be the case since that filter material under the return air grill is not staying in position . What do you use to clean those condeners ? From what you said I take it these systems are closed loop ? So if they do need service you actually have to cut the lines an install service ports ? I never seen a system like that are they fairly trouble free if a person cleans them from time to time ? I've got to figure something out about that filter . An I know what you mean usually when you ask someone about A/C trouble first responce is needs Freon. Thats why I ask about the specs I always want a tech to completly evac a system an measure what was in it an put back the correct amount fron an oil . An pull a vacum an do a leak down check . But it sounds like these Dometics are a different animal in some ways . Thanks George
Old 03-31-2012, 07:49 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
First step here is definitely get a new filter medium. Some buy a regular return grille/filter setup and mount it to the ceiling if it is not a dump (meaning it is ducted) system. Then the filter grille can easily be dropped and the filter cleaned or replace, just like at home. If it is a dump unit, then try a good hardware store - - many of them have the foam filter material that can be cut to desired size. Next step is clean the grille - - you have two options: one is clean it from inside or, second: from the roof, remove the cover, remove the inside metal cover over the squirrel cage fan and grille and clean it from up there. The secret here is be creative in stopping overspray going down inside the unit. Put a good chunk of visqueen over the floor and anything close under the hole. You might duct tape a chunk of visqueen over the hole from the roof side to try and stop water going inside. Then, spray that coil, let it sit the required time, then, using a strong but not too large stream of water, wash the coil down. It will amaze you what comes out. You will have to do the rinse in spurts so you don't flood the condensate drain hole. Clean up, put stuff together and try it again. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Bob
Old 03-31-2012, 08:36 AM

FiverBob all of my duct work is in the cieling . But when you say spray that coil an let it sit before sprayingit with water, what kind of cleaner are you useing ? Thanks George
Old 03-31-2012, 08:40 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by FiverBob
First step here is definitely get a new filter medium. Some buy a regular return grille/filter setup and mount it to the ceiling if it is not a dump (meaning it is ducted) system. Then the filter grille can easily be dropped and the filter cleaned or replace, just like at home. If it is a dump unit, then try a good hardware store - - many of them have the foam filter material that can be cut to desired size. Next step is clean the grille - - you have two options: one is clean it from inside or, second: from the roof, remove the cover, remove the inside metal cover over the squirrel cage fan and grille and clean it from up there. The secret here is be creative in stopping overspray going down inside the unit. Put a good chunk of visqueen over the floor and anything close under the hole. You might duct tape a chunk of visqueen over the hole from the roof side to try and stop water going inside. Then, spray that coil, let it sit the required time, then, using a strong but not too large stream of water, wash the coil down. It will amaze you what comes out. You will have to do the rinse in spurts so you don't flood the condensate drain hole. Clean up, put stuff together and try it again. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Bob
It's a closed loop, phase change, compressor driven cooling unit, just like all the rest. I think it uses a little scroll compressor, which is a pretty slick unit.

Check the condenser (hot outside coil) too. Soap, water, tooth picks, compressed air, all in moderation. The fins are soft aluminum and bend easily. If it's been anywhere near a basswood tree in the spring, it's probably plugged up tight.

Cleaning AC coils is messy. You might entertain the idea of pulling the unit to clean it.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:04 AM

Wow! you guys are putting me to work HA! Well the at least the price is right Hu !
Old 04-03-2012, 11:24 AM

How to Clean Roof A/C Heat Exchangers
Old 04-29-2012, 09:15 PM

Well fellows I started tread back in Dec had some health issues come up an just got back to this A/C today . Redmax I looked at your How too sight an the pictures an thats exactly what I did today . But my end result 86deg inside temp an its blowing 73 deg air . My coils were really dirty especially the evaperator the only thing I might question my actions is maybe not letting the cleaner set long enough before rencing . But I even used the air to try an push the cleaner deeper into the coils an all the foam was gone before I reneced . The only thing I noticed was even though the water would go through the coils it wasn't gushing out the other side hope I got it clean enough. I have a infrared gun I was takeing the temp with an really seen no change . I went up on the roof an shot it at the compressor it was 186 deg an the lines to the condensor about 78 . I hear the compressor load the onan an thats about it . Sure was a long day to get no result . Any ideals? Oh an when I said I used the air to force the cleaner into the coils that was on the 2nd or third soaking with the cleaner an again after the rince to blow the water out
Old 04-30-2012, 04:21 PM

Well after some investagation I am surprised at the prices on these units . So if a person is paying someone for repairs it would not take long to pass the price of a new one . An one repair shop said about a hour for them to R&R one . Everything I read says Dometic is a good brand but this camper is a 06 an this one is not working . What do you guys think about one brand verses another an why .
Old 04-30-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Are you running the AC while plugged into a 30 amp outlet? If so check the pins of the plug for ANY burning/overheating.
Old 04-30-2012, 05:26 PM

Bushboy i,m running with the onboard Onan generator.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM

Any of you ever had your system opened an recharged . If so is it basically just a reciept for agravation because it want hold it ? Most everything I read says junk it an get a new one if its lost its charge .
Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by travelingman
Bushboy i,m running with the onboard Onan generator.
Check the output or try running from a land line. One toasty pin was enough of a power loss to make the difference on my last Rv, while everything else seemed OK.
Old 05-04-2012, 06:16 PM

A friend who has owned several RV's (and highly knowledgeable about them) is also a commercial HVAC & Refrigeration engineer.

He says that -- for now -- the COLEMAN units appear best. I went with a 15k on mine. Runs 8-12 hrs/day the past few months. No complaints.