Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Dodge Vs Ford Vs Chevy Towing on the IKE

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 10:49 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dodge Vs Ford Vs Chevy Towing on the IKE

If you don't know, there is a You Tube Channel Called TFLTruck. There are long videos of the 2015 and older Ram Trucks pulling the grade to the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado for time. The 2015 Ram Truck won their award for best in tow even thought the Ford was quicker up the hill.

Ram was running 4:10's and the Ford 3:73's with the same load.

You gotta watch the 2015 Ford F450 running 4:30's vs last years Ram 3500. The Ford Driver makes some really stupid statements about equality in the two trucks. Dodge Objected to the contest.

Also a good one to watch is the all Black 2015 Ram 2500 with 3:42 gears that really hauled up the hill.

There are may other Video's there as well.

The one Video that has a towing contest in West Va on I-64 and that 7% grade is good. Its Chevy, Ram, and Ford pulling Fifth Wheels. Problem is they did not pull the same rig. The producers indicated the rigs weighed 12,000+lbs as taken off the tag on the side of the trailer. That was GVW (loaded weight) Those trailers could have been more than a 1,000 lbs different in actual weight.

I pull that hill in 3rd at 45 mph EGT's around 1130 degrees with more get up and go till the EGT's get me. Black Mountain on I-40 in NC is about the same pull but not quite as long.

Also in the timed runs on the IKE, at the starting point, they push the go pedal to the floor and leave it there. No info on EGT's or other temps. I really would like to hear some of that. I'm sure the computer controls that, I
guess. MPG down to 3.

Each video is about 20 minutes, so, its some good stuff there.

Dave
Old 04-23-2015, 10:50 AM

Received 141 Likes on 107 Posts
Its too bad that these comparison efforts cant be done more systematically accurate since some people actually consider the data a worthy variable when shopping for a truck.

And I could probably safely say that most people would agree with me in that there is no need to turn these manufacture battles into "wars". All of these trucks are simply amazing tow rigs and.....will generally tow more weight faster and easier than most people are even legally allowed to tow. There's SOOOOO much more to towing a trailer than simply blasting up the hill as fast as possible.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:17 PM

Agree !

I sent them a email about the Fifth Wheel Weights (GVW) and the Full Throttle Testing Method both on the IKE and in West Va. I guess the Engine is good at full throttle. Computer must be turning everything back to keep the EGT's down with all that fuel and load. I really would like to see the engine data on that run.

Dave
Old 06-20-2015, 10:25 PM

The SAE tow testing I believe uses the IKE, and they have to maintain something like 40 or 45 MPH without the computer de-rating for heating issues. That's why they have the flapper door to draw air from in front of the radiator when under heavy load.