Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Do I need a dually?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do I need a dually?

Ok, I'm going to buy a new truck. The shortbox is killing me and I'm not sure if I need a dually or not. Time to get rid of the old Dodge with 57k on it. lol

Three things I'm comptemplating are:

1. I need to put two four wheelers on a sledbed type of unit over the box. Each wheeler will weigh on average of 600 lbs. each and the sled bed itself probably about 200-350 lbs. for the aluminum one. Next, the tongue weight goes on the hitch at around 700 lbs. as well. So, do I need the payload of a dually?

2. Aside from the payload I'm wondering about sway control with the above said weight especially because it's pretty high being over the box rails. Even though I may be ok on payload alone is a dually ging to be a lot safer?

3. I love the look of the 2010-11 trucks but I do not like the dually fenders on the new trucks at all. I'm stuck now and am considering a different truck make if I need a dually. I hate to leave my beloved Cummins power but if the shoe fits I may have to wear it.

Thanks for the comments.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1) Your payload of 2200lb alone strongly suggests a dually application. If you are loading the quads sideways, you would appreciate the added width of the dually, as well.

2) The dually will give plenty of safety factor; the extra tires and width.

3) From what I have read, the new Ford and Chevy trucks seem to have the capability, but with Ford's new motor and my general dislike of Chevy products, I would stay with the Cummins. The 6.7 has a LOT of support on this site, other sites, and aftermarket parts.

Tony
Old 02-19-2011, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by TonyB
1) Your payload of 2200lb alone strongly suggests a dually application. If you are loading the quads sideways, you would appreciate the added width of the dually, as well.

2) The dually will give plenty of safety factor; the extra tires and width.

3) From what I have read, the new Ford and Chevy trucks seem to have the capability, but with Ford's new motor and my general dislike of Chevy products, I would stay with the Cummins. The 6.7 has a LOT of support on this site, other sites, and aftermarket parts.

Tony
I agree, once I started adding up the payload the writing was kind of on the wall.

I really dislike the looks of the new dually fenders though. I'm in quite a quandry.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:46 PM

Have you considered a toy hauler?
Old 02-19-2011, 08:20 PM

Quad weights might be low also.
Grizzly 700 wet is around 640.
Sportsman 800 wet nearly 750.
Any cargo boxes w gear?

I like the new Dually fenders' looks, but you cannot hardly reach over them to get something from the bed.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:28 PM

You've said a couple times how much you dislike the new dual fenders - if you feel that you have to repeat the idea so much, I'd never buy one. Why not find a used 08 with very low miles? Don't buy what you don't like - you'll never keep it.

Larry

Last edited by Stargeezer; 02-19-2011 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-19-2011, 11:47 PM

How about a flatbed? If you are looking to carry ATV's on the truck a flatbed would lower the centre of gravity giving you a more stable ride and the ATV's are easier to load.
I use to have a 1500 and climbing into the box to retrieve items was just a pain now with a flat bed I have to strap everything down and I mean everything, but I think it's good tradeoff for what I use the truck for.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:30 AM

Forgot to mention that the trailer tongue weight is from a toy hauler. The problem is once the Rhino is in there nothing else fits. The 10 year old wants to start bringing his own wheeler and the 7 year old will be right behind him. I've got a couple years before the 5 year old wants to bring his own.

I've had flatbeds but use my box too much to have one. That's out.

I hate buying used because you never know what's been done to them. The new dually may just have to grow on me.

It's sounding more and more like I need a dually. Thanks for the replies so far.
Old 02-20-2011, 01:05 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Keep in mind that duallies suck big time in the mud and on ice, if you're breaking trail they are ok in the snow..

Edit:

Go with a 4500, put singles on the rear and an 8' box over the frame rails.. The 19.5's will give you the weight rating you need.. Do a search, I have seen both of these options listed on the site..
Old 02-20-2011, 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by Yeti41
How about a flatbed? If you are looking to carry ATV's on the truck a flatbed would lower the centre of gravity giving you a more stable ride and the ATV's are easier to load.
I use to have a 1500 and climbing into the box to retrieve items was just a pain now with a flat bed I have to strap everything down and I mean everything, but I think it's good tradeoff for what I use the truck for.
I used http://www.grizzlygrip.com/boats.asp on my bed. Now, the only thing I tie down is round or oversize stuff
Old 02-20-2011, 01:34 PM

This winter I put a 2500 pound block of concrete in the bed of my dually. Got it from the retaining wall co. next door. It did wonders for traction all winter long. 24 in snow and chains and I just drove around in it all day. Rear drive only too.

Otherwise I love my dually. Pulls my GN like it isn't there. I can haul about anything that will fit in the bed.

Costs me $105 for license. I still get 19-20 but the ULSD has cut into mpg about 2 in the summer and 3-4 in the winter.

It soes take up a lot of room inthe parking lots. I just park at the outer edges of the lots anyway. It is just easier to get around. It also doesn't hurt me to walk a little extra distance.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:04 PM

I have a dd and our population where I live is only about 8k. I only put about 5k on my truck this last calender year.
Old 02-20-2011, 05:05 PM

Location: This Nazi state of California 2nd home Gilbert AZ under God
Originally Posted by staarma
Forgot to mention that the trailer tongue weight is from a toy hauler. The problem is once the Rhino is in there nothing else fits. The 10 year old wants to start bringing his own wheeler and the 7 year old will be right behind him. I've got a couple years before the 5 year old wants to bring his own.

I've had flatbeds but use my box too much to have one. That's out.

I hate buying used because you never know what's been done to them. The new dually may just have to grow on me.

It's sounding more and more like I need a dually. Thanks for the replies so far.
How about a C&C with a flat bed with the openings for stakes. You could then have the best of both worlds with a larger box when needed and a flat bed when you want to go play.
Old 02-20-2011, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You dont need a dualy for what you have described but it would be safer. that would be abough the only pluss for a dualy in my book. They suck on anything but dry pavment and you have to buy 6 tires instead of 4. If you are like me it HAS to go in the garage and a dually wont fit or may JUST fit if you dont have big garage doors. I did exactly what you are wanting to do with 2 ATVs on teh box and a 30 foot camer on the hitch. I rented the camper before I bought my TH and there was no WD, it just sat on the ball. I had 2 4x4s on the home made steel rack and a generator and coolers and such under the rack. I drove 2000 miles round trip to Colorado like this. We drove around Colorado for 4 days after we were done ATVing out there with the ATVs on the back and even went up Pikes Peak with them on with no problem. In the tight twistys out there I never wished i had unloaded them. There was almost no body roll at all. A dualy will do nothing to prevent body roll in a situation like this. A 3500 SRW has the same suspension a dualy does and that is what controles body roll not the extra tire out there. I would not hesitate to do it agian.

Name:  rack2.jpg
Views: 173
Size:  125.9 KB
Name:  rack3.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  109.6 KB
Old 02-20-2011, 09:13 PM

If you have ever driven a dually and felt the stability, you KNOW it's better with a load. Logicly you are spreading the rear load across twice the contact surface, twice the tires, wheels and across a wider stance.

Yes, the spring packs are the same, but the tire sidewalls are only carrying half the load as a SRW tire, as are the wheel rims. Frankly, the tires will fail much sooner than the springs.

I've changed SRW tires that had sidewalls completely broken down after towing a max load for just 10,000 miles. The tires were rated high enough, and never went flat but the sidewall failed and the truck was almost uncontrolable in a curve.

I just built a bigger garage.

I'm buying a new DRW for these reasons and more.

Quick Reply: Do I need a dually?