Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Did I just blow $2500?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2010, 09:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies concerning the laws in Alberta. I was a little concerned though we went through Alberta last year. I got plenty of tire capacity for the axle rating.

I love Alberta, at least the western end of it I have seen. The only way I would skip it is if they gave me trouble coming in about my tires. Gonna fish the Bow while we are in Calgary, I hope.
Old 01-03-2010, 12:20 AM

i dumped the 16E 3520 wheight rating ST china tires on my 14k bumper pull dump trailer had some 17.5" steel rims punched for 8 lug and have gone to Kelly Armorsteel KSR 1 215/75R17.5H tires. they track perfect. they have a weight rating of 4805lbs, 125psi, and are about the same diameter as the 16's i tossed. very reasonaly priced. (they are common 0n equipment trailers for18 wheelers)
Old 01-04-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by diesel96
I don`t have any personal experience myself, but I have heard from a few sources that British Columbia does not allow any tire on a trailer that is not ST rated.
I don't think so. My Citation fifth wheel was built in Oliver British Columbia and it came with 235-85-16 E rated LT tires. They were Goodyears and they were good for about a year, since then I have installed Toyo tires same spec as the before and they are standing up real well.
Jim O
Old 01-05-2010, 12:20 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
My Citation fifth wheel was built in Oliver British Columbia
I might add that if you are in Oliver, doing the wine tour or whatever, that you go take a FREE factory tour. They are very friendly and build a "different" trailer. It's well worth seeing the factory.
Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Busboy
I might add that if you are in Oliver, doing the wine tour or whatever, that you go take a FREE factory tour. They are very friendly and build a "different" trailer. It's well worth seeing the factory.
I have toured the factory. But it is more of a screwdriver plant the chassis is built off site the cupboards are built off site etc. but I will say we are very happy with the trailer and we have stayed in it at -24 degrees F and we were quite comfortable.
Jim O
Old 01-19-2010, 02:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If COstco put them on, can't be that bad. They wouldn't even put 285's on my pickup "liability, not OEM size."
265s on your truck is no problem. Still small tires. Most 01's came with 265s from the factory.
Regarding the LT tires on the trailer. Yes, typically it's not reccomended to put automobile tires on a trailer, but I think that pertains more to P rated tires. Ran LT tires on all our landscape trailers for years. Typically old wore out takeoffs from the trucks. They held up remarkably well to the abuse.
If you have adequate capacity on a stiff set of LT tires, you shouldn't have a problem. I've had the same set of LT tires on one of my trailers for 10years now. No problems, and I'd get another set if I could find 14" LT tires.
GY Marathons are positively the worst trailer tire I've ever had. 2 tandem axle boat trailers now with Marathons, tread separating sob's. Just read up on them. I'd run a trailer on 4 donut spares before Marathons.
They probably do scrub more than the old tires. MS compound is prob a bit softer. I wouldn't get too worried about the rims/hubs flexing in tight turns. That's real common. Should see my boat trailer. Looks like the rims are going to pop off every time I put it in or out of the garage. Have to jack-knife it about 120deg off the front bumper hitch on my old Jeep to get it parked.
Old 01-19-2010, 05:34 PM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
If COstco put them on, can't be that bad. They wouldn't even put 285's on my pickup "liability, not OEM size."
265s on your truck is no problem. Still small tires. Most 01's came with 265s from the factory.
A little more follow up. At the same time I did these tires I did a Jeep for my kid. The jeep had 30,000km on it but nails through tires. Costco installed the same tires just different size on his Jeep. He has since decided to sell it and a few of the people that came to drive it have commented that it feels funny compared to others they have driven. One guy even jacked it up in my shop to inspect the front end because of the way it handled. We recently installed some on a Ford truck... NO problems but it's a good few months since. I replaced the wheels and tires on the truck with some spare and the handling was immediately corrected. It's strange that all 3 sets of tires bought at the same time have given problems, yet ones bought before and after have been OK. I have talked to Costco and they checked a little but found nothing. I am supposed to talk to a manager next time I'm in the store. I'll keep you posted.
Old 01-21-2010, 11:14 AM

One important thing not mentioned is the load range of your tires. When I bought my 5er it came with D's. My trailer was horrible to pull. Wind pushed it all over. Bounced like crazy. Bounced side to side. Just horrible to pull. I since have changed the tires to E's and it pulls like a dream now. I also changed the size but the E's really did the trick I think. My brother went to E's on his but kept the same size. he noticed the trailer pulls much better now. You can do a search on my user name to find what tires I did.