Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Diamond Hitch gooseneck hitch

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 07:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diamond Hitch gooseneck hitch

Hi all. My new truck should be arriving soon and so, I've got things that I have to buy for it. I'm looking at the Diamond Hitch from Renegade Manufacturing based in Cody, WY. Here's their website:

http://www.diamondhitchinc.com

Does anyone have any experience with this hitch, particularly how the ball is locked into place and then unlocked for removal? Thanks.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:33 PM

Nice looking hitch, might want to check out B&W at thier web site, if you ever entertain pulling a fith wheel. I am impressed with thiers as they offer a fith wheel adapter that uses the same hookup as the goose ball and looks sharp as your bed is clean when not in use. Goodluck,,,, Rick
Old 03-26-2004, 12:01 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I have the B&W, which I haven't used (shopping for toy hauler) but I'm impressed with it.

It locks the ball in place with a spring loaded shaft through the sides of the socket and a hole in the base of the ball. To release it, a lever mounts in the driver rear wheel well, which you pull, then turn to lock in the retracted positon. I had installed rear wheel well liners, and just cut a hole in the driver's side one for access to the lever. (Note to self: Next time install the hitch before the wheel well liners)

I also have the 5th wheel Companion that goes with it. Mounts in the same socket, though you have to torque a bolt which pulls the hitch base tight into the bottom of the bed, then tighten 2 U bolts. Pivots 4 ways.

http://www.turnoverball.com/turnover/

I don't know anything about the diamond hitch, though.
Old 03-26-2004, 05:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I lived there for years, but I never heard of them, must be new. Call Fremont Motors the largest dealer in the State and ask them who they recommend. Ask for Patrick in service dept. They used to supply me with B&W hitches.
1-800-733-3174 or 1-307-587-6206
Old 03-26-2004, 09:03 PM

I am wondering about the B&W fith wheel companion to the goose hitch, from what I can tell from the photos all that holds it is the same area that the goose ball goes into??? Am I assuming correctly?? Any one here have one?? What keeps the complete hitch from spining in the bed?? I have not found a dealer localy to look them over, if anyone knows of dealer around Central Oklahoma let me know. Goodluck,,, Rick
Old 03-27-2004, 01:53 AM

The socket for the goose neck ball is the only thing that holds the 5th wheel in the bed. It doesn't spin because the socket is square, and has a shaft that goes through cross wise.
Old 03-27-2004, 01:32 PM

Don"t mean to pirate the thread! Thanks Jeff for the info. Got a couple of more ?? Have you used yours for awhile? Does it seem to twist your bed more than the normal bolt thru to the frame ones?? I noticed that the web site shows it to have some more support that rest's on the bed,does this scratch or create wear spots?? Thanks I am supposed to have some info coming in next week just curious now. Goodluck,,, Rick
Old 03-27-2004, 04:00 PM

kandgo,

I think I mentioned somewhere up there that I haven't had a chance to use mine yet, but I do think it is pretty sturdy. I did read somewhere (irv2?) about someone who commented about the hitch moving front to back when braking over rough roads, but the vast majority of opinions I have heard from owners have been totally positive.

The thing has rubberized feet, and I also have a bedliner, so I don't think scratches would be much of an issue.

If posting photos of a particular area would be helpful, let me know.
Old 03-27-2004, 04:31 PM

Thanks for the info,,,,
Old 03-28-2004, 08:28 AM

JLASICH,

I've got the diamond hitch installed. It is extremely stout, and the ball is very easy to insert and remove. When it is flipped, there are no protusions in the bed. The only problem I've had is this: In the winter, I usually leave the ball sticking up, because the little cavity to grasp it in the "stowed" position becomes filled with ice and snow, requiring vice grips, or chiseling it out to remove it. That is something I can live with overall, considering the value and performance of the system. Oh yeah, I pull extreme loads with mine.

Keith
Old 03-31-2004, 11:08 PM

Thanks everyone for your input. I'll also research B&W and one other one that I've heard about - Unagoose. Thanks again.