Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Any Car Haulers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Car Haulers out there?

Do I have to have extra springs or support installed to my Dually for the 4 car hauler trailer?
Old 10-20-2003, 05:43 PM
Chapter President

Re:Any Car Haulers out there?

Air bags are the way to go ;D
Old 10-23-2003, 08:01 PM

What do you mean? Or is this a joke?
Old 10-23-2003, 09:47 PM

Airbags are an inflatable suspension that i'm sure someone else can get technical about way better than me. I put them on my last truck...the ones I bought you had to add the air through an air valve at the rear of the truck. Once inflated as stiff as you want they stop your suspension from bottoming out and keep your as_ end as level as it should be.
Old 10-24-2003, 07:31 PM
Banned

Look under any class 8 truck out there. Airbags. No joke dude. Full air ride is the way to go.
Old 10-24-2003, 08:02 PM

With air bags you can level the truck with just about any load you can think of.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:58 AM

Don't know about your '03,but my '02 has a proportioning valve that airbags will defeat and cause some wild rides under slick conditions + extra wear on the front brakes. Some one might know how to get around this. One of the guy's I tow with took his bags back off after an expensive jack knife. But we are always well within the limits on weight.Airbags are great if you can work out the brake thing.
Bet someone on here knows how to do it.
Old 10-25-2003, 06:26 PM
Banned

4 wheel ABS.....
Old 10-25-2003, 07:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Hennie link=board=11;threadid=21199;start=0#msg198980 date=1066682766]
Do I have to have extra springs or support installed to my Dually for the 4 car hauler trailer?
[/quote]

Depends on what your springs are. If you have the camper special setup probably don't need anything. I don't want to break your heart though, four cars do not fit on a 53' trailer unless you have flipouts. Now and then you can get four small cars on it, but you can't quote on it, too iffy. For your local stuff check with Georgia on the trailer length, Alabama has gone to 57'. You are allowed a four foot overhang, they do not usually count the front overhang, BUT THEY CAN. Florida and Tennessee only allow 48 foot trailers on a dually. Florida sells an annual permit for the 53' the fine is bad. Also if you have no pickup body you qualify for the federal 53' and any length tractor. If you go that route best to register as a tractor, mine is. Incidentally, Alabama DOT code is a copy of Georgia code. Georgia trains the Alabama hit squad.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:40 AM

"Florida and Tennessee only allow 48 foot trailers on a dually. Florida sells an annual permit for the 53' the fine is bad."

How can I get that annual permit by the way what is the fine?

I see in the new Truckers map book that Florida requires that the distance form the pin to the centre rear axle is not more than 41' for trailers 48' to 53'. Is this not applicable to duallies?
Please explain to this dummy what this mean: "Also if you have no pickup body you qualify for the federal 53' and any length tractor. If you go that route best to register as a tractor, mine is."
Old 10-26-2003, 12:28 PM

[quote author=Hennie link=board=11;threadid=21199;start=0#msg201572 date=1067179239]
"Florida and Tennessee only allow 48 foot trailers on a dually. Florida sells an annual permit for the 53' the fine is bad."

How can I get that annual permit by the way what is the fine?

I see in the new Truckers map book that Florida requires that the distance form the pin to the centre rear axle is not more than 41' for trailers 48' to 53'. Is this not applicable to duallies?
Please explain to this dummy what this mean: "Also if you have no pickup body you qualify for the federal 53' and any length tractor. If you go that route best to register as a tractor, mine is."
[/quote]

Hennie I had just finished typing this in another thread on doubles and it applies here also.

A little history is in order here to understand the different length limits. Years ago each state had a different length limit. YOu almost had to have a cab over to pull a trailer and be legal in all states. Tennessee was 53' where most states in the east were 55. California had a 65 foot limit making pulling doubles almost impossible and no sleeper. The feds stepped in and determined the length limits minimum which is now 48 foot with any length trailer and all states allow a 53 foot trailer with any length tractor. But this if for interstates and the designated feeder roads and is only for semi trucks. In other than semi "tractors" you are at the mercy of the verious states limits. What are they, every state is different. I got tired of the differing laws and set up as a tractor as mentioned in other posts. Most Rand McNally large maps have.

I can also add this, you will never approach the 41 foot king pin setting with a single axle truck. Also Florida considers a truck with no body to be a tractor for these purposes. You would need to contact Florida for a permit. The fine varies but what will happen is that no one will say anything for a while but one day they will measure you and the fine is up near 800 or 1000 from what I am told. I have never received one.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:17 AM

[quote author=gdh11 link=board=11;threadid=21199;start=0#msg206889 date=1068205121]
I just bought a dually 3500 to haul a goosneck three car trailer. Have not got the trailer yet. I have a stupid question. How can you haul all of that weight and not be over the GCVW for the 3500s? Am I missing something, obviously I am. I was told at the dealer that the most it can haul is 12,900lbs. A trailer like the one I am looking at must weigh at least 5K, then add three cars at 3.5k each = 15.5. How can I tow and not be overweight? Oh, add truck weight of 8500 and bam I am at 24K?? Any help on this would be appreciated.
[/quote]

Well the simple truth is that you can't in anyway stay under the GCVW rating of the truck. And this is a vary gray subject when it comes to the law. Also your trailer I am guessing will be much more then 5000#. I don't know a lot about the Wedge car haulers but I have a 40' flat bed that weighs in the 9000# area. I haul 2 full size trucks on it at a time. The GCVW is 30,000-31,000#'s. BUT......I am not over any axle, tire, or individual vehicle weights. From everything I have read the DOT seems to be most interested in the Axle and tire weights.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:06 AM
Banned

I dodn't believe there is any grey area. With a three or four car wedge trailer there is no way anyone can stay on the right side of the law. On the wedge, that first car or truck sits right over the hitch, so you have the trailers weight and what ever that car or truck weights, on the rear axle. A fifty foot wedge go about 5000 lbs, and in the weight of 3-4 cars trucks and you figure it out. It might work for you, but I would not want anything to do with it. I am not that lucky, and my first time out, some one would cut me off and over I'd go. Don't realy have all that much, but I would like to still keep it, and not loose it to a law suit.
Old 11-07-2003, 11:47 AM

[quote author=gdh11 link=board=11;threadid=21199;start=0#msg206889 date=1068205121]
I just bought a dually 3500 to haul a goosneck three car trailer. Have not got the trailer yet. I have a stupid question. How can you haul all of that weight and not be over the GCVW for the 3500s? Am I missing something, obviously I am. I was told at the dealer that the most it can haul is 12,900lbs. A trailer like the one I am looking at must weigh at least 5K, then add three cars at 3.5k each = 15.5. How can I tow and not be overweight? Oh, add truck weight of 8500 and bam I am at 24K?? Any help on this would be appreciated.
[/quote]

Check with the local state authorities on how they compute GCW. The two ways generally are: federal the GVW of the truck plus the trailer and any load thereon, and most states the truck GVW added to the trailer GVW. If your door sticker does not list GVCW than the factory figures do not apply for DOT purposes. Also check that your state will plate the truck for 30,000 or more. If no you can not do it as the loads will run between 25,000 and 30,000. A wedge weights roughly 7000 pounds. Your hitch weight will be up to 5000 pounds. I will give you one tip that I ran into, make sure that your insurance is for the weight that you are plated for. Agents trying to get lower rates like to use the 20,000 pound figure from the serial number, could cause a problem if you had an accident. I pay more but my insurance is on 33,000 claimed gross weight. You will need a CDL also at these weights, you can't legally keep it under 26,000 with three vehicles.

Quick Reply: Any Car Haulers out there?