Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Any Car Haulers out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 11:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:Any Car Haulers out there?

With a wedge trailer you are right that you are going to be over your GVW on the truck no mater what.

I think you miss understood what I meant by the gray area, what I was refering to is if you can actually get ticketed for being over the GCVW rating. I have never gotten a staight answer on this from any goverment agency, the most common responce I have gotten is that as long as you are licensed for enough and are not exceding the weight rating of the tires or GVW of truck or trailer you are OK. But of course no one will put it in wrighting. CA is the only one I have heard of that will actually check the GCVW, also you will notice that Dodge doesn't put the GCVW on the door sticker.

Also you will need a Class "A" CDL like mensioned before.

Here is another thing that burns me up, every state license vehicles different. What I mean is that in some state you have to license the truck for the combined weight of truck and trailer. Here in Wisconsin you can only license the truck for the GVW of the truck and then you license the trailer for the GVW of the trailer. So I have my truck regitered at 12,000# and the trailer at 26,000#, even though the trailers GVW is 24,000 but they don't offer a 24,000 plate, go figure.

Now I have heard of people getting ticketed in other states because their truck is not licensed for the GCVW, I don't see how that can be, they would have to go off from the laws of the state you are registered in.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote author=Mopar_Mudder link=board=11;threadid=21199;start=15#msg207025 date=1068227528]
Here is another thing that burns me up, every state license vehicles different. What I mean is that in some state you have to license the truck for the combined weight of truck and trailer. Here in Wisconsin you can only license the truck for the GVW of the truck and then you license the trailer for the GVW of the trailer. So I have my truck regitered at 12,000# and the trailer at 26,000#, even though the trailers GVW is 24,000 but they don't offer a 24,000 plate, go figure.

Now I have heard of people getting ticketed in other states because their truck is not licensed for the GCVW, I don't see how that can be, they would have to go off from the laws of the state you are registered in.
[/quote]

Something that you might check is if you can license it as a "tractor" as mine is. That would open it up to GCW instead of GVW. That might be the missing link.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:24 PM

I think you have to remove the bed to do that, which really isn't an option for me.

What I do is strickly personal use and I don't really leave the state very often with a heavy load so I am not too concerened about it. I just tried to do all my homework ahead of time before I got the trailer to see what the laws are and try to stay with them.

I am under the truck GVW at 11,860 last time I scaled it with 7,140 on the rear axle. And the trailer was 18,120 with a 24,000 rating.

Oh ya and a Class "A" CDL so I can't get nailed for that.
Old 11-07-2003, 12:41 PM

I don't understand why I can own a Dual tandem trailer and not be able to pullit even if I'm not hauling anything or if the load I'm going to haul is nothing more than a small tractor. I don't have air brakes so what gives? I mean If the weight of the loand and my truck get close to 20,000 It would only be once in a blue moon. I wanted to use the trailer to go pick up a truck of my firends one day and found out the hard way I could not pull a tri axle or dual tandem w/o a Class A CDL :'(
DM01
Old 11-07-2003, 12:47 PM

[quote author=dodgeman01 link=board=11;threadid=21199;start=15#msg207043 date=1068230475]
I don't understand why I can own a Dual tandem trailer and not be able to pullit even if I'm not hauling anything or if the load I'm going to haul is nothing more than a small tractor. I don't have air brakes so what gives? I mean If the weight of the loand and my truck get close to 20,000 It would only be once in a blue moon. I wanted to use the trailer to go pick up a truck of my firends one day and found out the hard way I could not pull a tri axle or dual tandem w/o a Class A CDL :'(
DM01
[/quote]

Some states require a CDL with a trailer over 10,000 GVW. Ohio does not have a reputation for being easy on trucks
Old 11-07-2003, 12:57 PM

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=11;threadid=21199;start=15#msg207048 date=1068230858]
[quote author=dodgeman01 link=board=11;threadid=21199;start=15#msg207043 date=1068230475]
DM01
[/quote]

Some states require a CDL with a trailer over 10,000 GVW. Ohio does not have a reputation for being easy on trucks
[/quote]
I could choke the ODOT guys AHHH.
So how hard it the CDL test? I guess I need to get mine next year. I just hate test. Its not like I have not hauled heavy or large loades Just not in anything bigger than a Dodge 600 dumptruck. any tips or sugestions?
Thanks
DM01
Old 11-07-2003, 01:10 PM

Each state is different, have no idea of the Ohio setup. Most schools have a deal to test on their truck with minumal training. Costs. In New York, years ago, you could not take the test on anything but a school vehicle. If you ask a school they will want to do their thing, ask a DMV and they will make it sound worse. Grab a hot shot or construction worker and ask how they did it. Like Alabama it may not be near as difficult as it is made out to be. I would get the physical and then attempt to take the test on your vehicle. I am sure that it will cost a hundred or two. The pretrip will be much easier on your vehicle than an air brake larger vehicle.
Old 11-07-2003, 02:24 PM

The CDL stuff is pretty much the same arcoss the states now, or it is suppose to be I guess each state can make it more stringent.

In WI if you are over 26,000# you have to have a CDL, that is national law. If you are over the 26,000# and your trailer is over 10,000 then you need a class "A". If the trailer is under 10,000# you need a class "B".

That said a dually is rated for 12,000# so you have have up to a 13,999# rated trailer before you need the CDL at all. But once you get a trailer rated 14,000 or more you need a class "A".

For the test you can do the writen test and take the road test in your truck with a trailer that puts you in the class you are going for. You will not get the air brake endorcment though because you pick-up doesn't have air brakes.

Oh buy the way some one mesioned how much they could haul in their trialer before needing the CDL. It doesn't mater what you have on the trailer or if it is empty. They go by the rated or registered weight, which ever of the 2 is greater. In my case the truck is registered at 12,000 which is what it is rated for, my trailer is registered at 26,000 but is only rated for 24,000. So my combined total weight is 12,000+26,000=38,000# even though I am only about 17,500 empty you still need the CDL to drive it because the registered weight is over the 26,000# mark.

Clear as mud right........ ???
Old 11-07-2003, 02:50 PM
Banned

Sorry I miss understood you. I run a 14,000lb plate on the truck. It weights in at around 8400lbs by itself, and when I pull my gooseneck the tongue weight is another 3600 lbs. I see guys all the time with 3-car wedges, running up and down the interstate. Looks like alot of them are comming or going to auctions? I love pulling my trailer, but can't imagine doing it every day. Around here it seems the Fords out number the Dodges by a pretty large margine, but I have noticed, I haven't seen any new 6.0L Fords pulling large loads.
Old 11-07-2003, 03:12 PM

[quote author=y-knot link=board=11;threadid=21199;start=15#msg207085 date=1068238250]
Sorry I miss understood you. I run a 14,000lb plate on the truck. It weights in at around 8400lbs by itself, and when I pull my gooseneck the tongue weight is another 3600 lbs. I see guys all the time with 3-car wedges, running up and down the interstate. Looks like alot of them are comming or going to auctions? I love pulling my trailer, but can't imagine doing it every day. Around here it seems the Fords out number the Dodges by a pretty large margine, but I have noticed, I haven't seen any new 6.0L Fords pulling large loads.
[/quote]

Just curious as to why the 14,000# plate? I belive that your truck is rated for 10,000# if I recall, and the DOT will go buy the truck GVW reguardless of the plate.
Old 11-07-2003, 05:41 PM

[quote author=Mopar_Mudder link=board=11;threadid=21199;start=15#msg207078 date=1068236661]
The CDL stuff is pretty much the same arcoss the states now, or it is suppose to be I guess each state can make it more stringent.

In WI if you are over 26,000# you have to have a CDL, that is national law. If you are over the 26,000# and your trailer is over 10,000 then you need a class "A". If the trailer is under 10,000# you need a class "B".

That said a dually is rated for 12,000# so you have have up to a 13,999# rated trailer before you need the CDL at all. But once you get a trailer rated 14,000 or more you need a class "A".

Oh buy the way some one mesioned how much they could haul in their trialer before needing the CDL. It doesn't mater what you have on the trailer or if it is empty. They go by the rated or registered weight, which ever of the 2 is greater. In my case the truck is registered at 12,000 which is what it is rated for, my trailer is registered at 26,000 but is only rated for 24,000. So my combined total weight is 12,000+26,000=38,000# even though I am only about 17,500 empty you still need the CDL to drive it because the registered weight is over the 26,000# mark.

Clear as mud right........ ???
[/quote]

The federal FMCSA code says that you need a CDL if the GVW of the truck, plus the weight of the trailer and any load thereon exceeds 26,000. Most states have modified this to the GVW of the truck plus the GVW of the trailer. You are right, if the trailer is under 10,000 it is class B if it is over 10,000 a class A.

Most states have no weight rating on the tags for a trailer, my 16 foot utility trailer costs the same as my 50 foot car hauler. Since California finally did away with apportioned tags for trailers, there is no necessity for apportioned trailer tags. Now and then I see some but they are not necessary in any state. Those that supply them do it complementary. Commercial tags run interstate pay the tag on the truck for the combination weight of the truck and trailer. A non-apportioned Wisconson commercial tag is not valid in any other state, so how they charge is not material interstate. Some states recognise the adjoining states commercial tags, such as Alabama and Georgia. Without an apportioned tag you would have to permit through each state thereby paying the tag fee in each through the permit. If you have an apportioned tag, the allowed weight for each state paid is listed on the registration. Mine is 18 states at 33,000. Some of the differences discussed here and disagred on are simply the difference between an instate private or commercial tag verses and interstate IRP tag or apportioned tag. They do in some cases have completely different proceedures.

The only gray area is California and I think one other state. I doubt that even California would ticket an IRP tag for running over the manufacturers combination weight rating, they will ticket a personal or RV tag for the same weight, because he is not registered for that weight. Some of it is simply "if you want to play, you have to pay" California has pickups pulling wedge car haulers all over, all of them exceed the manufacturers GCW.

If I apportion for Wisconson, I will be completely legal to run through Wisconson even though a Wisconson truck may not due to his local registration. All states have agreed legally to accept the International Registration Plan. From what I understand the only state that gives car haulers fits is Michigan where the three axle trailer is not legal without a permit. Tandem duals would be legal.

Hope this may clear up some questions. The one thing that you cannot exceed in any state is the tire ratings and axle ratings, although I have never had an axle rating checked. Suspension is simple, it either holds the load up or it does not. As far as handling, if a driver is out there with a rig of any type that does not handle properly, he will probably wreck it. I won't drive a truck that does not handle properly. With a car hauler a lot of this has to do with how it is loaded. I generally accept a rougher ride to load the drive axle heavy enough to handle properly.