Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

Adjusting trailer brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2003, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adjusting trailer brakes

Okay gang, how does one go about adjusting electric trailer brakes? Searched the archives with no results.<br>Is there a clearance measurement you are shooting for?<br>My brakes have a definite pull when applied but will not stop the trailer. I figure I need a way to get all six wheels adjusted for the same stopping power. Is this a correct assumption (That word again)?
Old 04-09-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re:Adjusting trailer brakes

Let me ask first off, when you say pull, do you mean that you can feel the trailer pull to one side when you aply your brakes.<br>Second, When you say that it doesnt stop, are you wanting the trailer brakes to stopped itself plus the truck ?<br>When you say that it has six wheels, that tells me that it must be a 37ft or bigger, and that it is a heavy one at that.<br>Please give me more info so as i can help you with your problem.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:53 PM

Adjusting brakes is adjusting brakes, regardless of what it is on. Jack up the wheel, adjust the star wheel (adjuster) untill there is heavy drag on the wheel when trying to turn it and then back off the adjuster until the wheel turns free. Do that to all the wheels and then try it. If there is pull or other problems start pulling wheels to find out why, they are adjusted right.
Old 04-10-2003, 12:04 AM

If your brakes are badly out of adjustment, get someone to apply the actuator while you try to turn the drum a little to center the shoes to make sure you get proper adjustment. Other wise you may turn the starwheel and one shoe will move out until it contacts the drum and the other may hang up, not moving. You might think you have proper adjustment but after using the brakes a couple times the shoes center in the drum again and will not be adjusted properly.<br><br>If it is really pulling to one side badly you may have one or more brakes that aren't working.<br><br>ie. 2 brakes work on one side of the trailer, 3 on the other.
Old 04-10-2003, 03:13 AM

Oh yeah and the fast way to check them to see if they are operational is to use a cheap compass. Have someone hold the controller on and walk around running the compass past each wheel, it should follow the wheel, if not the brake is not working on that wheel.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:55 AM

Thanks gang!<br>&quot;Pull&quot; meaning they are working, just not enough.<br>Haulin, thanks for the procedure. That's how I've always done brakes. I've just never had six of them that were supposed to work together.<br>Yes, it is a &quot;Big one&quot;. Follow the link in my signature.<br>http://www.swampfoxcustoms.com/hot_shot.htm<br>This forum is great!!<br>Keep up the good work/support.<br>
Old 04-10-2003, 06:27 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

[quote author=Haulin in Dixie link=board=11;threadid=13412;start=0#126360 date=1049962437]
Oh yeah and the fast way to check them to see if they are operational is to use a cheap compass. Have someone hold the controller on and walk around running the compass past each wheel, it should follow the wheel, if not the brake is not working on that wheel.
[/quote]

AND, if you are using a Jordan controller, you can monitor the current being drawn by the braking circuit to determine that all the magnets are at least pulling current. 2 1/2 - 3 amps per wheel, times 6 wheels means it should read between 15 and 18 amps. Pretty neat.
Old 04-10-2003, 07:11 PM

When ever mine pulls one way it is usually a broken wire and I also use a compass to find it. the slush an snow usually adds a couple of pounds pull on the wire and it breaks. My magnets are 5 amps at full power my brakes are 12&quot; by 3&quot; drums with 8 stud wheels. I must say that Jordan brake controler sounds like the way to go. I will sure look into it if my prodigy ever fails.<br>Jim O
Old 04-10-2003, 08:20 PM

I never purchase the shoes or magnets seperately. I purchase the whole assembly cheaper and five bolts puts it on then all is new. I always have extra stuff around if a magnet should go out along the way. Also I have never been a lover of the wet bearings. I have over 100,000 on the current grease packed bearings and have not lost one yet. I do repack whenever I pull a wheel off the trailer. I carry an extra set of bearings just in case.... along with an extra U joint, fuel filter, jordan controller, rear truck axle seals and bearings, and a bunch of tools to handle it on the road. Just good insurance.
Old 04-10-2003, 09:03 PM

If you change to the Jordan now you will not be sorry, it is that much better. Sure does save the truck brakes.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:49 AM

Who has the best deal on Jordan controllers and what makes them so special?<br>The Amp draw of the brakes would be nice.<br>The one I'm running now is tied into the hydraulic brakes on the truck and has a separate bias controler. I guess I'll have to look for a name on it somewhere.