Towing and Hauling / RV Discuss towing and hauling here. Share your tips and tricks. RV and camping discussion welcome.

5th wheel wiring

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 06:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5th wheel wiring

???Just a question to you guys that have your 5th wheel hitch installed.How did you or the rv place hook the plug in your truck bed? Did you / they splice the wires, or is there another way to do it.I read some where someone made up a long wire to plug into the plug on the bumper then run it under the bed up through the stake hole.I don't want to go that route. Thanks for any answers you can give me.
Old 01-27-2003, 07:10 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Re:5th wheel wiring

My last truck had a seven pin on the driver's side of the bed about midships and midway up the side. I had a 4 pin at the bumper hitch. My new truck came prewired with the 7 at the bumper. I have not messed with it yet. Trying to tow with it a few times and see if I can live with it. It not, I will remove it from the bumper and move it to the bed after splicing a 4 pin onto it and putting it on the bumper. Time will tell.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:18 PM

Just run the plug over the tailgate and plug it in. If you want, you can put a bracket on the underside of the fiver to hold the wire so it doesn't rub on the tailgate. I have seen a couple people with them mounted in the bed, seems like more trouble than it's worth... <br><br><br>Tony
Old 01-27-2003, 08:30 PM

Hello<br>I installed a plug in the side of the bed forward of the rear tire. If I did it over I would have installed the plug back between the tail gate and the tire. The reason I say this is that way I would not have to reach over the bed of the truck to plug it in. <br><br> I do not care for the run the wire over the tail gate thing, But that is just me. With it in the bed either I or who ever is riding with me can look and see that the plug is connected.<br><br>See Ya<br>Chris
Old 01-27-2003, 08:37 PM

I have always had a plug in the bed behind the rear wheel. The only way I know of is to splice it in. I have a fifth wheel tail gate so it is simple to plug it in.<br> I don't think plugging it into the factory plug on the bumper would work as well on my set up.
Old 01-27-2003, 08:43 PM
Chapter President

I have both a in bed forward of the wheel well and one on the tag hitch...my in bed one is used the most.
Old 01-27-2003, 09:39 PM

I used Scotch Locs for my hookup. I also have mine behind the rear wheel well. It's easier to reach and no cord rubbing on my tailgate. ;D
Old 01-28-2003, 07:57 AM

My 97 came with the Trailer package. 7 way plug by the bumper. I took it to the place that does my RV service and for $75 and 1 hour they put a plug in the bed. They did a battery isolater circuit and did the trailer brake module install at the same time. I had purchased the brake controller some where else. Nice install. It saved me a heck of a headache.<br><br>Thanks!<br>Don Miller<br>97 2500 <br>2001 Tahoe Transport 33TB
Old 01-28-2003, 08:06 AM

Like Don, mine was done by the RV dealership when they installed the 5th wheel hitch rails, and it is on the driver side between the tailgate and rear wheel. I prefer it there for convenience and function, and have never had a problem with it. I left the factory 7 pin in its original place by the bunper because I occasionally pull a tongue pull, and that bumper mounted original position is where it needs to be for the tongue pulls. RV dealership installed the connector, hitch rails, and brake controller in about 1 1/2 hours.
Old 01-28-2003, 05:00 PM

Well while we're telling all, I installed mine on the hump part of the bed at the tail gate. The rear light had to be removed but it can be acessed from the ground to be pluged in. Oh, the light was reinstalled.

..Preston..
Old 01-28-2003, 07:52 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Ya'll got me wondering about this with this question. So, while I was under the beast putting on boards today, I looked over the wiring on the 2003. The seven pin is installed at the rear hitch. There is a plug for a 4 pin sitting right there. You can open up the wiring harness and pull sufficient slack to mount the 7 pin on the rear side of the bed. That is my next project. I really prefer the connector to be in the bed so I can see it. Then, no rubbing on the tailgate either. I will then mount a 4 pin at rear for the boat where the 7 pin was. Does not look like it will be a hard job at all. You can reach way up by the side of the bed from underneath. <br><br>Bob
Old 01-28-2003, 09:15 PM

My 7 pin connector is installed between the tailgate and the fender well on the drivers side. Take a look here.
Old 01-29-2003, 12:32 PM

I moved mine from the rear hitch into the bed. First I need to make the stock harness longer, so I went down to the local RV repair place and lucked into an old wiring harnes with correct colors. Cut old harnes at the connector, spliced, soldered then Heat shrink tubing new extension on (using newly aquired wire). I Located new connector between tailgate and fender well. My old 92 it was up by the cab and I always hated it up there. Hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2003, 03:23 PM

[quote author=Buzz link=board=11;threadid=10161;start=0#97646 date=1043810158]<br>My 7 pin connector is installed between the tailgate and the fender well on the drivers side. Take a look here.<br>[/quote]<br><br>Now that's a sweet install! Got any more pics of that? From the other side maybe? and how the wiring is ran? I would be interested in doing that!<br><br>Also, Do you wax your bed? That's the cleanest truck bed i've ever seen! ;D
Old 01-30-2003, 10:47 PM

The only reason the beds is so shiny is because it's practically new...I bought it the week before Thanksgiving ;D. Plus, I use a trailer to haul sand, gravel etc. for home projects.<br>I had it installed when they installed my hitch. They just tapped into the factory 7 pin harness underneath the rear bumper. I imagine it could have been done cleaner, but it looks okay and there's nothing hanging down... no loose wires, etc.