Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

why

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh believe me, I never said you should learn from them. You can be like an ostrich and keep your head in the ground to the changes around you. But like I said this is your sand box. As the old adage says "sweep around your own backdoor first" But when these other sites are more laid back about how they run it and nobody had been offended or upset yet...then I would think it's time to learn from sombody elses sucess. I can understand if somebody has posted a link to a site with numerous profanities on it...but don't flame the guy if he didn't read the whole thing.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:09 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

there was never any intention of flaming anyone.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:10 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by 01sbc
I can understand if somebody has posted a link to a site with numerous profanities on it...but don't flame the guy if he didn't read the whole thing.
Which is precisely what he did and the reason he only received a warning.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
The best advice I can give you is to make your self aware of the forum rules, that way I don't have to step in because you accidentally violate them.

They can be found here; https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...p?page=privacy
I read the rules and the part you're talking about is extremely vague:

"If you are not a paying advertiser on the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, you may not place advertisements in your signatures or posts for your products or website."

If someone lists a mod and places a URL to the item, why is that construed as adverstising? The link is hidden and not offered in an advertising manner. I thought that posting a URL in a post would be more of a violation. Sorry, a little confused about how an ambiguous rule can be enforced.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:13 PM

I'm just saying if I was in the position of the administrators here then I would kinda say "hey if this is working so great for them...lets try it" but if they like the way they run it then I will stay inactive as will some other members. I'm positive that all the big wigs won't see any difference in the way the site runs. But over time there will be enough disgruntled people...
Old 10-22-2006, 09:13 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by piperca
I read the rules and the part you're talking about is extremely vague:

"If you are not a paying advertiser on the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, you may not place advertisements in your signatures or posts for your products or website."

If someone lists a mod and places a URL to the item, why is that construed as adverstising? The link is hidden and not offered in an advertising manner. I thought that posting a URL in a post would be more of a violation. Sorry, a little confused about how an ambiguous rule can be enforced.
Thats because you are NOT reading the rules, if you are then you missed this little gem

"Members may only advertise for vendors or websites who are paying advertisers of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum."
Old 10-22-2006, 09:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

I'm just saying if I was in the position of the administrators here then I would kinda say "hey if this is working so great for them...lets try it" but if they like the way they run it then I will stay inactive as will some other members. I'm positive that all the big wigs won't see any difference in the way the site runs. But over time there will be enough disgruntled people...
Feel free to find a place that better suits your need

But I am NOT going to slap paying vendors in the face by allowing non paying vendors to advertise for free.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:19 PM
Banned

How can you say that, im not whinning and i did learn if i didnt i would have posted it again after you removed it, i just went and got the pics and posted them, But iam a stand up guy and will admit when im wrong ,just dont talk to me like im a dummy (even though it says it) not angry just frustrated is all but im done now, and if you need to bann me then thats fine, like what was stated by the boss earlier there are other forums to post on, if im so angy which everyone thinks i am then i will go in peace. Im cool with that

Actually you have it backwards, we don't allow the gradeschool antics here, which is exactly what has you upset.

You violated the rules plain and simple regarding profanity by posting a link that contained it. You were sent a WARNING because it was your first time, it was our intent to get your attention and let you know we expect you to post like an adult here.

It obviously worked, but instead of taking it like a stand up guy and saying "Opps I won't do that again", you got angry and thus we have this thread.

I see people deal with issues in two fashions here, 98% of the guys get a warning and learn from it, then move on without another issue. Then I see guys who moan and whine because they simply refuse to admit they made a simple mistake.

It grows on them, they start making senseless posts like in this thread and eventually they can't stand it and get banned all together.

And for what? pride?... ego?... just too dang proud to admit they screwed up?

I have had posts removed here myself, I don't whine about it, I simply try to do better the next time. It doesn't have to be a personal issue, some people just want to make it that way.

I guess the point I am trying to make here is choose your battles wisely, be sure what you are all worked up about is really worth it.

We don't consider ourselves perfect, and we don't expect you to be perfect either. We do however expect you to NOT post links to profanity on this site.

Is that really such an unreasonable request?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:19 PM

So if that is the way you feel then you are free to say what you want. If that is not what I want to say then you edit/delete it. It's a free country when we are face to face. but when I'm in your playpen then you can kick me out if you want. I just think some of your gerrymandering is rather ridiculous. So you do what you need to do.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:20 PM

Thats because you are NOT reading the rules, if you are then you missed this little gem

"Members may only advertise for vendors or websites who are paying advertisers of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum."
No, I didn't miss that. The word "advertise" is used ambiguously in the rules. You said it would have been okay for me to post the URL in a post, but not hidden in my signature?

How about adding something like: "No URL's to products may be posted in or hidden within your signature, this can be construed as advertising, which is not allowable." Now that is certainly not ambiguous!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:23 PM
Admin Team Leader

So if that is the way you feel then you are free to say what you want. If that is not what I want to say then you edit/delete it. It's a free country when we are face to face. but when I'm in your playpen then you can kick me out if you want. I just think some of your gerrymandering is rather ridiculous. So you do what you need to do.
Well I guess we will just have to agree to disagree then.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:25 PM

Sounds good then bossman. You find it in your rules how to work this site the way you want to. Heck if you want to change the rules to exclude people with the sn 01sbc. If thats what you want to do then do it. it's your site to do with as you please
Old 10-22-2006, 09:29 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by piperca
No, I didn't miss that. The word "advertise" is used ambiguously in the rules. You said it would have been okay for me to post the URL in a post, but not hidden in my signature?

How about adding something like: "No URL's to products may be posted in or hidden within your signature, this can be construed as advertising, which is not allowable." Now that is certainly not ambiguous!
You are getting hung up on this because you had a link removed from your signature, that as you can see is not allowed by the rules.

People post links in the forums all the time, we don't have a problem with that..Information is what these forums is all about. But 99% of them don't make a blatant ad for a product in the manner which you did.

If you want to show a product somebody has, go ahead but don't do it in a manner that causes me to receive a complaint that you are advertising in the forums.

Make the distinction between providing information and trying to sell product, that shouldn't be too difficult
Old 10-22-2006, 09:31 PM
Admin Team Leader

Sounds good then bossman. You find it in your rules how to work this site the way you want to. Heck if you want to change the rules to exclude people with the sn 01sbc. If thats what you want to do then do it. it's your site to do with as you please
Just follow the forum rules like everyone else does, and you won't have a problem.
Old 10-22-2006, 09:33 PM

*in a terminator voice* I don't live by rules...until the cops show up

Quick Reply: why