Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Ram Engineers (Live) Q&A session here on DTR!

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when dodge did this with turbo diesel register your repeated answer was we can not comment on future changes, which left a lot hanging. is this going to be the case again, if so what's the purpose?
Old 06-24-2010, 07:19 AM

I'd just outright tell them,the only reason we buy Dodge is for the Cummins engine ,witout that engine Dodge would worthless.The rest of the truck was obviously built for shareholder profit and not for a rock solid product,just look at all the above complaints and all the inferior designs and they dont seem to learn from these bad designs/weaknesses.How about some quality seats so at least I can enjoy driving it without getting a sore ***.
Old 06-24-2010, 08:50 AM

Ford turned up the power and is getting better MPG. Chevy also turned up the power and i'm not sure about MPG only cuz i didnt look it up. These two things are great selling points and dodge needs to greatly catch up in this game but the major problem in the way is your junk trannys. Cummins has the knowledge and tech. to catch up but dodge trannys are in the way. Built better auto and stick trannys. This is your biggest problem with these trucks for years I'm tired of being a proud dodge owner and having Ford and Chevy guys talk smack about my tranny. I stick up for my dodge and i always will but the sad thing is they are right.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by 07BigHornRam
Ford turned up the power and is getting better MPG. Chevy also turned up the power and i'm not sure about MPG only cuz i didnt look it up. These two things are great selling points and dodge needs to greatly catch up in this game but the major problem in the way is your junk trannys. Cummins has the knowledge and tech. to catch up but dodge trannys are in the way. Built better auto and stick trannys. This is your biggest problem with these trucks for years I'm tired of being a proud dodge owner and having Ford and Chevy guys talk smack about my tranny. I stick up for my dodge and i always will but the sad thing is they are right.
More mileage = SCR (Urea)

IT IS NOT A BAD THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It lets the engine make power, efficiently (well, at least more efficiently than without it) and THEN you treat the exhaust to clean up the emissions.

My 2010 is a HUGE step up from the past trucks I've had...are there things I don't like, yep...are they major, NOPE. 16mpg STOCK, and enough power to tow what I need is good enough for me for a while.

Sorry for the derail

Although here's one thing I HATE!!!!! 3500 SRW that squats when I hook anything to it. My Brother has a 2009 Chevy 3500 SRW that NEVER squats...NEVER. Put the same load on mine and it's riding on the bump stops. Now, my truck does ride better than his, which is nice...but I'd give up some ride for better weight carrying...without me having to put air bags on my $54K truck

Chris
Old 06-24-2010, 11:03 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
This is not engineering related and will probably be dismissed and I understand that but maybe...just maybe someone at RAM can give me an answer as to why they think its good business to restrict a warranty because I imported to Canada from the USA. The other guys do not do this. Just the facts.

For a technical question...why do the 6.7 injectors cost so much more then the 5.9 common rail injectors? I need to know the technical answers to justify the $1200.00 per injector [or more]. Just the facts.

I should be in fine shape at that time and date to participate. Lary may have to mute me since it will be a few hours post-op.

Old 06-24-2010, 12:18 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Some great questions already.

+5000 on the Locking Hubs.

My only real further question revolves around a 1/2 ton ( or lets think about it, a 3/4 ton reduced capacity truck to get around emissions ) with a stupid, simple freaking 4 cylinder Cummins diesel.

We keep hearing how customers will not buy one, yet people all over are going out of their way to stuff them in themselves. Most get really close to 30 MPG, and while they don't pull 18,000, what is the market for a useful 30 plus MPG truck?

Really, how much would it cost to build 5 of them and let them out to get real world data?

Oh yea, the idea of a double overdrive is fantastic. These things don't need to turn a bazillion RPM and we all see the MPG improvements when we keep the RPM's down.
Old 06-24-2010, 12:40 PM

I understand we get diesels for the heaving pulling capability. I don't see anything on the diesel market to fit the mid-range person. Someone that pull 4-10,000#, uses the truck bed more than the hitch and that gets good mileage. Most of of the people I know don't need a factory race diesel engine that can get a 15,000# load up to 60mph in under 8 seconds.

I don't need a monster Hp machine. A 4 cylinder +/-250Hp 600+Ft# 6 speed would fit my needs greatly. Something that would get mid to upper 20mpgs when empty with locking hubs and a bed that I can carry 3,000# in it stock trim (or as upgrade/dealer offered option). I feel it would be a good combination.

Additional option that would be nice to have either from the factor or dealer instealed would ber helper air bags/auto bed leveling systems.

I so I like alot of the features of the 2010 1500 specially the side-panel storage compartments and redesigned rear suspension. Now if that could be offered in a diesel and have more bed carrying capability (as discribed above), I seriously consider buying a new truck.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by KWKING
I'd just outright tell them,the only reason we buy Dodge is for the Cummins engine ,witout that engine Dodge would worthless.The rest of the truck was obviously built for shareholder profit and not for a rock solid product,just look at all the above complaints and all the inferior designs and they dont seem to learn from these bad designs/weaknesses.How about some quality seats so at least I can enjoy driving it without getting a sore ***.
I dont agree with you at all. I as well as many others like our dodges i would have my dodge weather gas or diesel over any ford or chevy and i'm sure there are lots of others that feel the same way.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by KWKING

This is the truth. Why should we ever trust Dodge again? They didn't support their customers when their design decisions and Engineering failed and left us with problems to solve on our own (fuel system, front end, AC, etc) . Edited Long live Cummins!

Last edited by madhat; 06-24-2010 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Language
Old 06-24-2010, 05:12 PM

Dodge should have done a proper recall and fix for the lift pump, Injection Pump, AC, ball joints - all have failed early due to bad engineering. Why should we trust Dodge again?
Old 06-24-2010, 05:34 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Maybe we should take a more mature approach to this, following the rules of the forum at the same time.

How about listing:

Problem:

Discussion:

Solution:

Nothing is perfect. Everyone has their likes and dis-likes. Keep it clean and constructive.
Old 06-24-2010, 06:14 PM

I'm on my fourth dodge 3500. I get a new one every two years so I have a little to compare to. I've noticed on my current truck the bed is much flimsier than any previous truck. I had a empty propane tank bounce a few inches in the bed and it left a few really big dents. Is it just thinner or weaker material?
Old 06-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I grad-u-ated frum Claudes skool of tpying....

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by johnjudge
look in 4wheeler mag, august, not diesels but really kool power wagons on page 40.
I have'nt seen the ones in 4wheeler mag. I was thinking of a Power Wagon along the lines of the first Wagons. If I had the means I would build one like Mc Mopars 68 Wagon, it may not be the fastest,most powerfull truck ,but it would get the work I need done,done. A work truck that can take getting loaded with 5-6 tons of wood,week in and out during the summer, and then hauling it up hills and steep grades at a decent pace. A truck that can plow the snow that we get all winter long,without a wimper. Now I don't know too much about the 3ed and 4th gen Dodges, not saying they could'nt do it,but if they made a Power Wagon with some of specs I put up,and with the 50s look. Iwould get one. Thats just my 3 1/2 cents worth.

Last edited by twichit; 06-24-2010 at 08:08 PM. Reason: Forgot a name
Old 06-24-2010, 08:48 PM

Did someone mention putting a decent rear sway bar back on. The word I always hear from people that dont own or know anything about Dodge Ram trucks is, "Dodge is not known for quality,they are cheap."There are always thing most guys want right away,if you are making a towing machine ,how about a trans. temp gauge and a egt gauge and might as well throw in boost too.Gear it and sell it with at least 285 tires so it looks good and has a bit more height,beefier springs,front lockable hubs so it can run in 2 low,fix the AC issues,,make the tranny a little stronger.Even if your truck was not the least expensive,if it was rock solid with things truck guys want,the word would get out that Dodge and Cummins rock,and are they way to go,but with some of the current unresolved issues I am still not sure about that.
Old 06-24-2010, 09:01 PM

dodge needs to over come the bad tranny thing like ford needs to over come the bad motor thing, Everyone associates bad trannies with dodge trucks .

Quick Reply: Ram Engineers (Live) Q&A session here on DTR!