Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Ram Engineers (Live) Q&A session here on DTR!

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AH64ID
Some of these are repeats, but I want to emphasize the importance.

Q4: Whats with the grill not lifting with the hood on the 2010's? That is one of the best thing about the older dodges, under-hood access on the 2010's is greatly reduced.

This is an AWESOME improvement. Tell me how access is REDUCED because of it?
Old 06-23-2010, 09:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I would think the locking axles off the Power wagon should be available

we lived in Nebraska, and had a little ferd 4wd with open diffs. one front and one rear tire would spin if you high centered it. just useless. we drove our heavy FWD Olds Cutlass more in the snow, it went better.

we had a Rubicon jeep with the locking axles, with just those and no other mods, it was almost unstoppable.

i got my 04 4x4 CTD stuck, and it just spun one tire on each axle (it was high centered and laying on the right side, and the two left tires were off the ground, and they were spinning, NOT the tires on the ground)
I never had faith in the 4x4 CTD again, and just bought a 4x2 next time to save on weight/maint/mpg, since it's only 2wd when you REALLY need it.

if i had to go back to NE or anywhere snowy, i would at least want a locking axle on the front, where the weight is.

i don't see why the power wagon is not available as a "work truck" 4x4 CTD for snow plowing in northern climates.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:33 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jurish
This is an AWESOME improvement. Tell me how access is REDUCED because of it?
Because now there is a grill where there used to be nothing. My 05 has plenty of room to stably stand on the bumper to access the engine, not on the 2010's. It also means the winter front must be installed outside the grill, which is UGLY! The hidden winter front on the 3rd gen is great.
Old 06-23-2010, 12:35 PM

My #1 question:

Q: What are the power numbers going to be for the 2011 Ram Heavy Duty? Ford is 390hp/735tq and rumoured to be increasing to better the new Duramax's 397hp/765tq. Then we have the Ram Heavy Duty in last place at 350hp/650tq. That is not acceptable. All the durability and dependablity reputation points that the Cummins turbo diesel has over the competition, and the fact that it does not need urea are good, but I don't think even that can overcome the power deficit to many buyers.

CAN I GET A "HECK YA!" FOR A 400HP/800TQ 6.7L CUMMINS?????
Old 06-23-2010, 03:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are my 3 questions.

1. Why is the rear bumper metal rolled so thin? I drive on some (not much) gravel roads at 40 mph and there are LOTS of stone dent marks from the inside of the bumper to the outside. It does not look impressive on such a nice truck.

2. U-joints. I know better ones HAVE to be out there. 2500 miles past my drive train warranty and 2 are shot. Not happy about that.

3. Front end parts. Why does Ford, who have a live axle front end as well, seem to not have the premature wear issues that we have?

For the record, I LOVE the 6.7 with the 6 speed auto and the engine brake. Good Job!!!
Old 06-23-2010, 04:38 PM
PCM

PLEASE, reintroduce an extended cab in a long bed DRW. It would be nice to make a spray-in bed liner standard, too.
Include better guages such as turbo boost and trans temp guage would be nice. Thanks. pcm
Old 06-23-2010, 07:32 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Also for those of who tow frequently as above a trans temp gauge & an EGT gauge would be great. I have installed a set on my own but wish I had factory gauges instead. Also a retro fit for the turbo based exhaust brake to install on the 5.9's like the one on the 6.7 would be nice but probably not fully feasible.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:17 PM

It would be nice to have an answer on weather an egt gauge is even needed on a stock truck. stock boost gauge would be nice to.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 PM

Questions

1) A BIG "Second-the-motion" to front locking hubs (preferably automatic - like I used to have on my IH Scout and Bronco)!
2) A real overdrive - one that will let you turn 1600-1800 RPM at 70 MPH...
3) Better access to computer info and the ability to set your own parameters, like fast idle and tire size.
4) How about a "real truck" with real gauges, switches, etc.
My two cents worth!

Oh yes - How about putting in a radio 'bay ' in the center of the dash, like airplanes have, where your CB, Ham, custom audio, computer, etc. can be mounted without having to cut up plastic?

Now I'll go away!
Old 06-23-2010, 09:33 PM

I was wondering if Chrysler, with help with their new Italian friends(Fiat) might get together and start bringing other products to America. Fiat makes alot of diesel commercial trucks.
Old 06-23-2010, 09:52 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1.) Has anything been done to address the very poor A/C systems on the new trucks. All of the 03 to 09 trucks have the same poor sorry design. I haven't even went and looked at the new trucks due to this reason. If you don't know what I am talking about, it is the blowing hot on the passenger side vents and cold on the drivers side due to low refrigerant. The reason it has low refrigerant is because the high side spikes to 450-500 psi on the first crank of the day in hot South Ga. humid heat and pushes the refrigerant right out. I'm not paying $40,000 for a new truck to go through this crap again.

2.) When are you going to get a marine type fuel filter setup. Warranties are being denied left and right due to bad fuel (water in the fuel). No water in fuel light has came on at all to indicate such. I feel an attempt was made with the new fuel filter but it is extremely lacking in my book. The only way to really do a good job is to place an Fleetguard FS1000 on the vaccum side of the fuel pump and then a good 2 micron filter at the engine. So, an external fuel pump will be needed. This is another reason I have no new truck and don't want one. With the one I have now, I figured what the heck, your gonna try to deny any warranty anyway, so the heck with it, I'll do what I want, have fun, and fix the junky crap on my current truck.

All I have to say is this, until these issues are fixed, I am not buying squat....
Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 PM

look in 4wheeler mag

Originally Posted by lil dennis
Here is mine , Could they design and build a Cummins powered Power Wagon with solid axels,5 or 6 speed stick,heavy duty clutch,reg cab no frills truck,leaf springs,again,lock out hubs. With the ablity to take the pounding snow plowing gives out. Basicly an actual Power Wagon rough sevice one ton or ton an a half with an old Power Wagon look, that I is what I would like to know
look in 4wheeler mag, august, not diesels but really kool power wagons on page 40.
Old 06-23-2010, 10:19 PM

1-I feel to as stated A/C being well sup par. Every GM truck I've owned would freeze you out.

2- why have you gone away from grease able frontends?

3- I read the the new 6.7 was rated at 400 hp why was it so detuned?

4- this was said previously why are we getting less mpgs for cleaner emissions but it uses more fuel to go the same distance, how is that helping?It's only consuming more resources. Will You try to improve on mpgs as well as saving our natural resources?

5th and final - Will you try to make improvements for those of us that have 5.9 trucks 09 and older that have real issue that well are fixable like the wind noise caused by poor quality rubber molding?( look at a Ford or GM the rubber vinyl is a much better density and holds up for years)Mine has collapsed as ever ones else it just doesn't hold up. Ball joints that fail at 50k.
I like others plan on keeping these things for a little while you know. Isee now why the new cab design as it fixes this issue.

Last edited by quadman20; 06-23-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: forgot things
Old 06-23-2010, 10:48 PM
PCM

I sure hope Dodge will listen to these concerns and suggestions. If they don't, I think they are going to loose a lot of buyers in the next few years. I believe their market share is reduced right up front by the limited cab/bed configurations. If they address some of the things, match or exceed the HP/torque of the other 2, and improve the tranny, it would be a big improvement. Hopefully they will be able to read this thread. pcm
Old 06-23-2010, 11:36 PM

No one else asked it so I will

When will there be a automatic transmission put behind the Cummins that can actually handle the power. I'm not talking aftermarket power either, the factory trans cannot handle the stock output of the motor. This is my second Ram 2500 with a Cummins and I've had 5 transmissions total between the two trucks with only a combined mileage of 170,000. That's pathetic. This was before any mods as well. If you cannot design something pass the buck to someone who can

+1 on manual locking hubs

+1 on a better A/C

+1 on a re-designed interior

+1 on greasable front ends & U-Joints

Face it boys the motor is the only thing you got

Quick Reply: Ram Engineers (Live) Q&A session here on DTR!