Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

Ram Engineers (Live) Q&A session here on DTR!

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How about a larger fuel tank with a least 45 gallons.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
How about a factory aluminum wheel option for a dually.
A BrakeSmart or Maxbrake functioning brake controller.
A bigger fuel tank would be nice.
8-Speed auto tranny for better fuel mileage. Be nice to be in the twenties running empty.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't let existing major issues continue for years.

DEATH WOBBLE. Years of it. Mine did it right from the show room.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Few complaints
1. ball joint failure
2. very few serviceable parts
3. no selectable front hubs
4. poor fit and finish (door seals, ridiculously uncomfortable seats for $45k)
5. no egt gauge, no built in trailer brake
6. two piece rear drive shaft

other than that i love my truck
Old 06-28-2010, 09:24 PM

My wish list:
1. Design the seat to last 200k miles. My foam is just pathetic at 130k
2. Manual Lockable hubs Standard Equipment on 4x4
3. Factory Auxiliary Transmission Option. (IE Gear Vendors).
4. Start from scratch with the electrical system (sensors, TIPM, harness, etc.) I have a 400k mile engine and a 150k electrical system on it. Knock off the splices in the middle of the harness. Warranty the electrical for the same time as the engine.
5. Tune the truck for mileage/power from the factory. Banks just got their tuners a California EO. Look to Gale to see what can be done stock.
6. Factory 5th wheel hitch, auto slider for the short beds.
7.An A/C that works... add in a valve that keeps hot water out of the heater core when the A/C is on. 1930s tech here.
8. Factory front and rear air suspension using air bags only NO SPRINGS (IE Kelderman) Sell it to the soccer moms that want the low ride height when parked, the towers with adequate capacity, and the off roaders with increased clearance.
9. Take the rear window mechanism from a Jeep Cherokee and give us a solid window that retracts down. Toyota has it and it's the best feature on my 4Runner.
10. A gauge cluster that can be programed to show any three parameters on the truck (Boost Pressure, Intake Temp, Rail Fuel Pressire, Lift fuel pressure, etc....)
11. A stock exhaust temperature sensor. This is the single most important sensor on the diesel engine and the ECM doesn't monitor it?
12. A stock cold air intake, maybe with a functioning air scoop on the hood? Not just for looks!!!
11. Ditch the plastic heater doors already, they're a known issue.
13. A 100,000 mile warranty on everything on the truck, with the option to buy 200,000 and 300,000.
14. Un-roll all windows when the key is held in the unlock position in the door. Roll all windows up when key is held in the locked position of the door.
15. Return the option of turning off A/c in the defrost position, have the heater fan ramp up with temperature when the engine is cold. Look to Volkswagen / Toyota and emulate their HVAC.
16. Include a remote lock system that has a reception greater than 20 feet.
17. Factory Remote Start from outside the cab.
18. Factory Delayed Shutdown based on time/exhaust temperature.
19. Properly designed Projector headlights (My 4Runner has 'em)
20. Power all 4 high/low beam bullbs when using Brights if you are going to turn off the Foglamps.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:25 PM

Love the look of the new rams and the full crewcab option. Dodge makes great trucks in my opinion. Love my 2nd gen it has held up well with 450,000 miles. I find the interior to be sufficient with more than comfortable seats. It would be nice if dodge had an answer to the vp44 issues ( I assume they can only be rebuilt so many times, then what?)

On the new trucks I would love to see a durable box, make it indestructable, who cares if it adds a couple hundred pounds the trucks allready weigh alot. The box is the part of the truck that takes alot of abuse, iwould like to be able to put busted concrete in there and not need to gently place each piece in.
Do that and then do your commercial dumping gravel into it, and then a ford, and then a chevy. Then show the aftermath of what the box actually looks like on all 3.

Next thing is fuel effiecincy. These new trucks are soposed to be better for the enviroment, how can burning another 5mpg be good for anything?

Can you find a way to burn diesel efficiently rather than plugging the exhaust so full nothing can escape? How about a supercharger/turbo setup to push air untill the turbo lights to clean up the soot till the turbo is spinning, or maybe a continuosly variable transmission to keep the rpms smoother. Or atleast more gears closer together, with an extra overdive.

Thanks Dodge/cummins for making a great product in my opinion.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:26 PM

I'll put my two cents in here although I have my doubts that the designers and engineers will actually listen or take into consideration our concerns.

-The front end on these trucks is a joke. I don't want to be having to replace ball joints, axle joints and tie rods prematurely and not being able to grease them from the factory.
-Lockable/unlockable hubs would be a nice touch
-How about focusing on fuel economy? Maybe incorporate some sort of cylinder deactivation mode when running empty? Kinda like the 5.7L Hemi has? I don't care if the truck has the most power in its class, if it has consistently the best fuel economy I'm happy as a pig in the mud.
-Make an A/C system that doesn't blow cold on one side and warm on the other
-Some sort of exclusive luxury package like Ford's King Ranch or Cabelas edition (I almost bought a 6.4 PSD Cabelas edition this spring)
-Prewired auxiliary switches like Ford has
- Easy to access fuel filters and oil filters. Is this too much to ask for?
-Magnetic drain plugs on the bottom of the differentials and transmission pan so I don't have to pop the cover off to change the oil
-More solid tie down points in the bed or a full on tie down system (See Nissan's utilitrack system in the Titan). The current setup is good enough to tie down a grocery bag...
-More gauges: EGT, Boost, Transmission temp. With actual numbers and not some green/yellow/red crap
-Power folding and sliding mirrors like Ford has
-Lockable tailgate
-Better headlights would be nice. HID option please?
Old 06-28-2010, 09:28 PM

It would be nice for the engineers at Cummins to give us a flash to engage the fan anytime the a/c is on at idle and low speed (bumper to bumper traffic) for the 03 and up trucks. Its not a cure all for the a/c problems but it would help. It would also show us that can't afford new trucks every couple of years that your listening and still want to help.

For those that tow, Reyco has a rear air ride conversion for the 4500/5500 trucks. What about a factory option? If Reyco see's enough interest, they might build one or adapt the one they have for the 3500.

How about spin on fuel filters and water separators like on class 8 trucks. Spin of filters like that are much easier to find if your stuck out on the road than those cartridge and safer.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by KWKING
I'd just outright tell them,the only reason we buy Dodge is for the Cummins engine ,witout that engine Dodge would worthless.The rest of the truck was obviously built for shareholder profit and not for a rock solid product,just look at all the above complaints and all the inferior designs and they dont seem to learn from these bad designs/weaknesses.How about some quality seats so at least I can enjoy driving it without getting a sore ***.
2nd that...if it were in anything else i would have bought that truck...
Old 06-28-2010, 09:32 PM

Hear is my gripe.
1. Cost me almost 1000.00 to have a lift pump put on my 2004 3500.
2. I have a low Beam headlight out ,bulb good ,dealer said it is the FCM and Fuse Block. Cost 800 to 900 dollars. I have read where I am not the only one having these problem. Love the Dodge but for a person on a fix income retired from the Navy it hard to come by that kind of money.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:35 PM

a front diff that is easier to change the fluid in. it's difficult to get one or two of the bolts out because of the steering linkage and almost impossible to get fluid back in from the bottle without some doing.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:37 PM

1/2 ton with a Cummins.

A more gentle ride than a 3/4 and 1 ton, and preferable geared for big mileage like high 20's,, or low 30's.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:52 PM

I'll just keep my 2nd Gen going for a bunch more years. I've gotten most of the bugs worked out or identified.

The 50+ grand I would have spent for a new truck with the same basic motor will buy me a whole lot of replacement parts to keep it going.

I'll build the truck that Ram should be building. Ball joints that last, proper filtering systems, and electrical system that works, A/C that really cools, a fuel system that doesn't die and still have a bunch left over after new sheet metal to do most of it all over again down the road.

I totally respect the engineers coming on here and to at least listen to all the concerns and questions, I applaud that tremendously. Unfortunately, as we know, it's the suits upstairs that build the trucks, not the engineers.

Jeff
Old 06-28-2010, 09:53 PM

I have plenty of power , but I'm sure disappointed in the mileage. My 97 12valve would get 20-22mpg

My 2010 gets 14mpg.

EGT should be in the dash. or at least put the pipe thread in the manifold at a minimum.

Other than these few things I really enjoy my truck
Old 06-28-2010, 10:05 PM

-Magnetic drain plugs on the bottom of the differentials and transmission pan so I don't have to pop the cover off to change the oil
This is a GREAT suggestion!

Quick Reply: Ram Engineers (Live) Q&A session here on DTR!