Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

New Infraction System

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Thanks, Dewey - I did not know that would show up for regular members.

If you have to get "creative" with your spelling, it's better to just use a different word.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:35 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by CSAGrey1
Did I miss the part where we were told how or if we could check our own status?
I haven't been around long; but long enough to realize it isn't a democracy and that sometimes the perception by a mod or admin may be differnt than your own.
That is a common misperception that things might be decided here by member vote or democratic process. This site is privately owned, all of the bills are paid with a check that has my signature on it. The rules are meant to guide the site in the direction Jack and I choose it to go.

That may sound harsh in it's simplicity, but it isn't meant to be. Simply put when you spend your own money making something you expect to run it the way YOU see best. You have to set boundary's and guidlines and try to stick to them in order to meet a perceived goal.

Our goal here is to provide a place for people to get information and for it to be comfortable for ALL our members. We have grandparents, parents, female and minor members all reading these threads everyday, so we try to keep it a family atmosphere.

Our perception may differ from your own but in the end it will be done our way. We may not always get it right, but we try really hard to do so. If it were your site you could run it as you see fit and rightfully so, I would certainly have no problem with that.

I got dinged for a pic post in the Dodge Dogs thread that I didn't personally find any more outlandish than many of the other pics posted on here and soon came to find that arguing until I was blue in the face was going to get me no where fast. Heck I probably could have been dinged multiple times under the new system. Once for the pic, once for flamming Ford, and once for arguing. Oh well you live you learn.
No that isn't really the case, we have ALWAYS had the option to warn or edit minor problems and that is still true today. That is why the system is set for warning only if it is a minor violation.

We don't want to stand over you guys and police you all the time, we want to read and post just like the rest of you. We are hoping this will help you police yourselves by giving you a visual benchmark to look at from time to time.

The point system really comes into effect for the blatant violations that 99% of you wouldn't even think of doing anyway. This just gives us a better way to keep track of things and let you know if you need to change your posting habits a little to avoid any problems.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woooo!

I'm at 8 because I posted an altered image of Steve Irwin...

It was funny too!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:32 PM

Did not read the whole thread, forgive me if this has been asked:

Are you familiar with any other professionally run forums that employ such a system? I am not. A good example of the right way to run a website is www.thehighroad.org - everyone could learn from the way things are done there.

I guess I negatively associate points with PennDOT's driving points system.
Old 09-14-2006, 07:52 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Never heard of it but anything that can be gained from information on other forums is a good thing. Either way though, like we said, it's all about following the rules of the site and being respectful to the other members here. As long as you do that, you just won't have an issue.

We're not changing the rules. We're not changing our moderating philosophy, we're not doing anything but adding a little bit more technology in order to track what we have already done for the first 5 years this forum has been online. It's merely a tool to help us do our job a bit easier, and to keep the site on the track we want it to take.

Nothing has changed here, and you guys really have nothing to worry about.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Banned

Rules? All I got is rules. I gotta do this this way and be here and there at this time. Don't give me any more rules. Rules are made to be broken.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Chapter President

Is it ever possible for a banned member to be allowed back in? The only prob I've had with the administration here is when I just happened to mention and give credit to a former member about something and was practicly bullwhipped for it and the the post was severly edited out. No profanity, nothing. Just a few words about a banned member. Still kinda erks me a bit.

Other than that, I think this is the best site simply cause you don't have to pay $35 just to post and ask questions. Only downside to this is that we here tend to have many amatures who don't really know a whole lot about what they post about. Only reposting something they read or heard.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:30 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Their "Code of Conduct" sounds a lot like what we do here.

http://www.thehighroad.org/code-of-conduct.html
Old 09-14-2006, 08:40 PM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by streetsmoker
Is it ever possible for a banned member to be allowed back in? The only prob I've had with the administration here is when I just happened to mention and give credit to a former member about something and was practicly bullwhipped for it and the the post was severly edited out. No profanity, nothing. Just a few words about a banned member. Still kinda erks me a bit.
It doesn't happen often but yes, there have been banned members who have been reinstated. We don't necessarily have a policy on that so I guess we would consider it on a case by case basis.

Other than that, I think this is the best site simply cause you don't have to pay $35 just to post and ask questions. Only downside to this is that we here tend to have many amatures who don't really know a whole lot about what they post about. Only reposting something they read or heard.
Regardless of whether you pay or not, you'll have that on every site. I see it on all of them. Paying $35.00 isn't going to weed that out. The whole point of a forum like this is to post questions. Yes, the search functionality is there and it's great that we can use it. However, I would never get on anyone for posting a question that may have been answered before. That is why we're all here. Anyone who gets angry at the newbies for that in my opinion probably needs to spend some time away from the computer and get outside a bit.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:42 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Anyone who gets angry at the newbies for that in my opinion probably needs to spend some time away from the computer and get outside a bit.
Hear, hear!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:44 PM
DTR Founder

Originally Posted by Digital Bullet
Woooo!

I'm at 8 because I posted an altered image of Steve Irwin...

It was funny too!
Oh yeah, hilarious. The complaints we received on it would say otherwise. That's neither here nor there, since this was dealt with days ago. Time to move on...
Old 09-14-2006, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Thorpe
Oh yeah, hilarious. The complaints we received on it would say otherwise. That's neither here nor there, since this was dealt with days ago. Time to move on...
3 less points please...

Old 09-15-2006, 01:51 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Did I miss the part where we were told how or if we could check our own status?
I haven't been around long; but long enough to realize it isn't a democracy and that sometimes the perception by a mod or admin may be differnt than your own. I got dinged for a pic post in the Dodge Dogs thread that I didn't personally find any more outlandish than many of the other pics posted on here and soon came to find that arguing until I was blue in the face was going to get me no where fast. Heck I probably could have been dinged multiple times under the new system. Once for the pic, once for flamming Ford, and once for arguing. Oh well you live you learn.
I believe when you go into the User CP you can see if you have any infractions, the same way you can see your reputation points.
Old 09-15-2006, 08:39 AM
Banned

When I first got on this site, Larry had sent me a PM warning me about my posts....I tried to be clever about using cuss words....but he sent me a message and told me that he was getting a little irritated and I changed my ways. Granted I didn't think they were that bad, but I completely understood his point!! I don't think we've had a problem since.....have we Larry?

They are just trying to keep this place as clean as possible....not making us kiss butt, but just keeping us as mature adults instead of whining little kids. I had never posted on any type of forum before, and I had no clue that it was taken that seriously......but it is and I respect that.

I am on another forum for Jeeps and I quit viewing that site completely, everytime someone posts on there it starts a free session to BASH on the guy who posted!! I for one can't stand reading posts that have maybe one good answer to the topic and 6 pages of people bashing the poster for being stupid or what not, and it's not like it's just a little teasing here and there, those guys just get down right MEAN!!

I don't have any complaints with this site, you guys do one heck of a job making it a very friendly place and that is why I spend so much time on here. Granted sometimes rules suck, but when it comes to having something completely free and friendly to visit..........follow the rules or leave!!

Thanks guys

~Nick
Old 09-15-2006, 08:48 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Gotlift01
When I first got on this site, Larry had sent me a PM warning me about my posts....I tried to be clever about using cuss words....but he sent me a message and told me that he was getting a little irritated and I changed my ways. Granted I didn't think they were that bad, but I completely understood his point!! I don't think we've had a problem since.....have we Larry?
No Nick we have not You did what I asked you to do and you have become a very valuable member here on DTR.

Originally Posted by Gotlift01
They are just trying to keep this place as clean as possible....not making us kiss butt, but just keeping us as mature adults instead of whining little kids. I had never posted on any type of forum before, and I had no clue that it was taken that seriously......but it is and I respect that.

I am on another forum for Jeeps and I quit viewing that site completely, everytime someone posts on there it starts a free session to BASH on the guy who posted!! I for one can't stand reading posts that have maybe one good answer to the topic and 6 pages of people bashing the poster for being stupid or what not, and it's not like it's just a little teasing here and there, those guys just get down right MEAN!!

I don't have any complaints with this site, you guys do one heck of a job making it a very friendly place and that is why I spend so much time on here. Granted sometimes rules suck, but when it comes to having something completely free and friendly to visit..........follow the rules or leave!!

Thanks guys

~Nick
Thank you Nick!

Quick Reply: New Infraction System