Suggestions, Comments and Site Questions Post your comments and suggestions here. We always want to improve the site.

New Infraction System

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2006, 02:18 AM
Administrator

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts
Exclamation New Infraction System

A lot of you may not know this, and there are a few of you who already know about this. With the recent forum upgrade we got a few of vBulletins new moderator toys . One of them is called the Infraction System.

The Infraction System is a points based system. If you are caught breaking the rules then you will get points. If you rack up enough points, you either get Muted or Banned, depending on how many points you have racked up. The site will still be the same as it has always been, just with a better system of keeping track of rules violations, which with over 27,000 members (at the time I wrote this), and only 11 Admin and Moderators, helps us keep track of rule violations.

Here are the point scales:

10 points = 7 day (1 week) Mute (you can read the forums, but you cannot post)
15 points = 21 day (3 week) Mute
20 points = Permanently Banned

Here are some of the common infractions with their associated point values. Some violations will get a warning for the 1st offense.

Foul Language = 2 points (1st offense is a warning, no further warnings are issued)
Inappropriate Links = 2 points (1st offense is a warning, no further warnings are issued)
Signature Violations = 2 points (1st offense is a warning, no further warnings are issued)
Insulting another Member = 2 points (no warnings are issued)
Distasteful Avatar = 3 points (1st offense is a warning, no further warnings are issued)
Inappropriate Post = 3 points (1st offense is a warning, no further warnings issued)
Flaming/Arguing = 3 points (no warnings issued)
Advertising in forums (non-vendor) = 3 points (1st offense is a warning, no further warnings are issued)
Advertising in forums (vendor) = 4 points (no warnings issued)
Unsolicited advertising using the PM system = 4 points (no warnings issued)
Severe inappropriate Links (direct links to **** sites, etc) = 5 points (no warnings issued)

The points are permanent, they do not expire.

Even though some offenses can get a warning, we can bypass the warning and go straight to infraction. This is for repeat offenders, users who have been notified of or shown the rules already, etc.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Forum Rules

Here are the Forum Rules. Most people only see these when they initially register. These rules are on the same page as the DTR Privacy Statement (link is at the bottom of every page).

Forum Rules

You agree, through your use of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, racially based or biased, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. Legal actions can be taken against you. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you and you show proof of ownership or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material and you can show proof of consent. In addition, for the use of this forum, profane posts should be considered those completely spelled words, or partially spelled words with use of keyboard symbols that suggest a profane meaning. We repeat, profane posts will absolutely not be tolerated on this website and its forums.

Spam, flooding, advertisements, group buys, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also inappropriate on DieselTruckResource.Com. If you are a vendor, and use our private messaging system to Spam other users with your products, you will be banned immediately, no questions asked. Do not send private messages to users trying to sell your product unless the user sends you an inquiry message first. If you purposely register more than one username, all of your usernames will be banned and removed until verbal or written explanation is given to the webmaster.

Note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on this DieselTruckResource.Com forum. Please remember that we may not actively monitor all posted messages and are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of DieselTruckResource.Com.

Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator or moderator of this forum immediately. We have the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. We also reserve the right to ban you and remove you from this forum at any time, for any reason. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy is valid for member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, and any related websites to this forum. DieselTruckResource.Com also reserves the right to reveal your identity and your public and private forum message content to appropriate legal authorities (or any information we have about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by you. Please note that no message is truly private on this forum, and all messages posted on this forum automatically become the property of the owner of this forum.

You may not participate in our forums if you are a child 13 or under. Federal law prohibits you from accessing this website. If you are a child 13 or younger, you are not to participate on this forum in any way.

You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep your username appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password out to another member, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another member's account to post messages or browse this forum. You must use a valid e-mail address when registering on this forum. If you do not use a valid e-mail address, DieselTruckResource.Com reserves the right to remove your account, or ban you from the forum completely. You also have the option of hiding your email address from other users. You can choose this option during the registration process, or in your profile once you're registered. For better security, DieselTruckResource.Com recommends you hide your email address when registering.

If you're here to start "flame wars", or intentionally incite arguments and inappropriate discussion, don't register on this forum.

After you register and log into DieselTruckResource.Com, you may fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information we deem inaccurate, inappropriate or vulgar will be removed.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded in the event that you are banned from DieselTruckResource.Com or your ISP contacted.

We reserve the right to change the rules of this forum at any time. You should check this registration agreement periodically to verify your compliance with our forum rules.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:21 AM
Administrator

Advertising Rules

If you are not a paying advertiser on the DieselTruckResource.Com forum, you may not place advertisements in your signatures or posts for your products or website. Paid site advertisers may post information on special deals or sales in the public forum ONCE PER MONTH. Pricing may not be given in the post. The post shall not contain full details of the sale or special. The post must contain a link to the vendor website that better explains the special or sale. Again, you may never publicly post pricing on your products. If someone asks, you may answer them privately. Members may only advertise for vendors or websites who are paying advertisers of the DieselTruckResource.Com forum. You may become an advertiser by visiting our Advertise with us page for more information.

You have the ability as a Registered User here at DTR to have an avatar. An avatar is a small image that appears next to your username in a post. You can choose to use or not use an avatar in the User CP (Control Panel). If you choose to use an avatar you may choose any from the avatar library we have here at DTR or you may upload your own.

If you choose to upload your own avatar there are some rules you will have to follow. First is image size, the avatar is limited to 65 X 65 pixels. The second is file size, the maximum file size for an avatar is 19.5 KB (kilobytes). GIF and JPEG (or JPG) files are acceptable. The third and most important rule is that there are NO INAPROPRIATE AVATARS ARE ALLOWED! This includes, sexual, insulting, deregatory, or anything otherwise in poor taste. If you think an avatar image may be questionable DO NOT POST IT!. Contact an Administrator or Moderator first for avatar approval.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:38 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is there a way to see how many we have? no excuses but sometimes things slip.
Old 09-12-2006, 10:37 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jrs_dodge_diesel

Here are the point scales:

10 points = 7 day (1 week) Mute (you can read the forums, but you cannot post)
15 points = 21 (3 week) Mute
20 points = Permanantly Banned

[snip]

The points are permanant, they do not expire.
Do I correctly assume that the point scale is a lifetime total {i.e. 20 points in my lifetime gets me banned?} or is there a certain number of good posts that will counterbalance a point?
Old 09-12-2006, 10:43 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
They are permanent, we expect members to be liable for they're own actions when posting on this site.

Most of you will never even see an infraction placed on you, the ones who do are the the ones who continue to disregard the rules even after being warned.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:06 PM

Hi JRS
What you are saying then is that 11 admin and moderators,act as both judge and jury with no appeal or reprieve.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:40 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
As long as you follow the rules, you don't have anything to worry about. We will not set an infraction because we don't like someone or because we have a beef with someone. It doesn't work that way around here even though a small group of some might believe that. We enforce the rules equally and it doesn't matter who you are. Again, as long as you post within the rules, and you're respectful to the other members of our community, then you will never have a problem.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
is there a way to see how many we have?
Good question--is there?
Old 09-12-2006, 04:03 PM
Banned

"New Posts" link

I have been clicking on the "New Posts" link at the top the last few days and have noticed none of the threads I've started or none of the threads that I have posted in show up when I do the "New Posts" search. I was wondering if I somehow got slammed with a fine! I sure hope not, but was curious.

Thanks to you guys that keep the site up. I've learned more from the folks here than anywhere else.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
I have been clicking on the "New Posts" link at the top the last few days and have noticed none of the threads I've started or none of the threads that I have posted in show up when I do the "New Posts" search. I was wondering if I somehow got slammed with a fine! I sure hope not, but was curious.

Thanks to you guys that keep the site up. I've learned more from the folks here than anywhere else.
From what I have seen your posts you reply to or new threads no longer show up until someone else responds to them in the "new posts" section. if you go in the "forums" link and go to the section they were submitted in you will see it there. I thought the same thing intially, but I beleive it is their new software.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:15 PM

As we say in England if your in a hole stop digging.But a couple of points come to mind.The written word is expressionless and I for one would never wish to insult anybody but if anyone in admin misconstrued what was being said I could be given 2 points without warning.Not sure what flaming is but when does discussion become an argument,again you could attract 2 points without notice.The only reason I posted was that insults and arguing were the two things that carried no warning but immediate penalty points.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jezzhuntin
From what I have seen your posts you reply to or new threads no longer show up until someone else responds to them in the "new posts" section. if you go in the "forums" link and go to the section they were submitted in you will see it there. I thought the same thing intially, but I beleive it is their new software.
Thanks. I just wondered if I had been a bad, bad boy. I thought I might have gotten slapped for putting smoke, a silver dodge, and aluminum diamond plate around the outside in my avater in the DTR sticker! Opps. The gig is up! I got really bored the other day. Forgive me? I mean no harm!!!

I do like the new software. Thanks for upgrading it!!!! Many more useful features.
Old 09-12-2006, 04:58 PM
Banned

flaming is the same as slamming someone or something.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:03 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by yamroamer
As we say in England if your in a hole stop digging.But a couple of points come to mind.The written word is expressionless and I for one would never wish to insult anybody but if anyone in admin misconstrued what was being said I could be given 2 points without warning.Not sure what flaming is but when does discussion become an argument,again you could attract 2 points without notice.The only reason I posted was that insults and arguing were the two things that carried no warning but immediate penalty points.
I see your point and yes I did take what you said earlier in a different light than apparently you meant it and because of that I removed it. We don't mind people having a spirited discussion, in fact some of the best information comes forth in those types of threads.

When it becomes a problem is when somebody takes a personal shot at someone, in the form of an obvious insult, rather than just trying to make a point.

Like Jack said here, most people will never have to even be concerned with this system. We have been enforcing the rules in the same manner for years we just didn't have a point system in place.

All this does is make it easier for us to keep track of habitual offenders, those guys who just don't care and thrive on getting shock value out of they're posts.

Even though we have the point system in place, that does not mean we can't discuss a situation among the Admins and reverse a decision we make. This actually happens more than one would think.

We are not perfect and we don't expect anyone else to be perfect, but if a member continues to post profanity even after being warned numerous times, then they can expect one day to be removed from the site.

I hope this helps to better clarify what we are trying to do here and I will be happy to answer any questions that I can if you still have some.

Quick Reply: New Infraction System