1st Gen. Ram - All Topics Discussion for all Dodge Rams prior to 1994. This includes engine, drivetrain and non-drivetrain discussions. Anything prior to 1994 should go in here.

Why remove the RWAL?

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2015, 08:21 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
My ABS felt quite dangerous on my truck. I admit I didn't spend time to fix or find the problem with it, I just spent 5 dollars and removed it. In a panic stop it would dump all the brake pressure and the pedal would hit the floor, and it would take a lot longer to stop than it does now.

I can panic stop now and feel that I will stop in time in any situation. And for when my rears lock up on an icy mountain going down hill, I've just lifted the pedal until they aren't sliding any more, instead of holding the pedal down like a lot of people would do.

However, it would be nice to have a system that worked IF someone else was driving my truck.
Old 03-19-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MrFusion
My problem with RWAL is that ABS isn't meant to be a split system. Pumping brakes "confuses" the ABS module and it quits working. With a split system you HAVE to pump brakes in low traction conditions. Panic stops are another thing.
To me the brake system is like a carry gun: if doesn't work EVERY time you pull the trigger its a paper weight. ABS is the same: if it doesn't work EVERY time it is useless and/or dangerous.
I had a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (XJ) with ABS that worked. I could nail the brakes on packed snow with just OK tires, it would modulate 20x per second and I could steer around obstacles. That's how it should be.
I can't speak to how the 1st Gen ABS works b/c my rear cylinders shoot fluid like an SOB and don't work worth a squat. I can only speak to the efficiency (or lack there of) of a 1995 CTD truck.
Certainly sound like those wheels cylinders need to be fixed!
Old 03-19-2015, 04:02 PM
BHD

Received 389 Likes on 259 Posts
Originally Posted by Jim Lane
Also if you are involved in an accident where there is a fatal, investigators will tear your truck apart and find part of the safety equipment has been disabled.

Jim
Maybe in the most lawsuit happy state in the Union they do, but not here in Pennsyltucky. I carry the scars on my face from a windshield I ate, due to some redneck disabling the airbag and then taking the bulb out of the dash.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've had no problem with the RWAL on my 1991, even during a panic stop from 75 mph.
I'm not impressed with the feel of it, but not swapping ends when i slam on the brakes sure is nice.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:22 AM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
It seems that the ones that work work good enough for the people that own the trucks. So naturally they don't understand why people remove them. But those of us that have had problems with them know that "big eyes and brown shorts" feeling every time some clown cuts us off.
For those that did have serious problems. Repairing and trusting them is a kin to going back to a spouse that has cheated multiple times.

For me I am accustomed to old vehicles and feel more comfortable without them.
Old 03-28-2015, 09:04 AM

Received 2,429 Likes on 1,601 Posts
That is my take as well.
Most of my Mopars DON'T have any ABS.
Heck two of them came with drum brakes all the way around from the factory. Swapped out to front disks now.
So in a panic stop I have to think about which rig I am in and then decide how to use the pedal…Mash it and let it do its weird ABS pulsing, or pump it like I have for years?
Not the kinda of thing to think about in a panic stop.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:29 PM

Received 600 Likes on 437 Posts
Originally Posted by oliver foster
That is my take as well.
Most of my Mopars DON'T have any ABS.
Heck two of them came with drum brakes all the way around from the factory. Swapped out to front disks now.
So in a panic stop I have to think about which rig I am in and then decide how to use the pedal…Mash it and let it do its weird ABS pulsing, or pump it like I have for years?
Not the kinda of thing to think about in a panic stop.
The less thinking you have to do when you have to stop fast the better.

When I got my 1942Willys jeep it had anti lock brakes it was a 4 X 9X1..5" drums. In a panic stop(what's that?). lets just say I got pretty good at steering around But that was 30years ago and people didn't drive like they are playing a video game and they have a pocket full of quarters.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:58 PM
Dam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need help to reattach the Rwal

Originally Posted by OVERTORQUED
I keep reading all these posts about people removing the RWAL modules on their trucks. This is a bit disturbing to me because I know first hand what happens when you need it and it doesn't work. In this case the truck spun because all 4 wheels locked up and sent the truck off the side of a mountain highway rolling 6 times until it hit a tree.
It isn't that hard to figure out why it's not working through process of elimination, but for gods sake don't remove it all together. How are you going to stop that much weight without locking those 4 wheels up? The RWAL is there for a reason and it works **** well. My truck fortunately lived to roll down the road again and still does today and you best believe my antilock works perfect.
I just hope people will think twice about it - I know it's a pain in the *** trying to troubleshoot it but please don't remove it.
I was tring to do a bypass with the fittings from Napa ,to see if that was the problem, but the line was too rusty and took it to my local shop.they didn't listen to my instructions and just did a big loop past the rwal.I don't know which is in and which is out to the rear brake.I took it back to the shop and they pointed to the smaller fitting as going in from the front of the truck, seemed like the guy was not sure. Does anybody know which is which? Please help me

1993 Dodge w250
Old 04-18-2016, 04:13 PM

Received 126 Likes on 70 Posts
Mine sets the RWAL light right after startup. Nixon said it could be a vacuum issue, but I haven't found one. I replaced the sending unit, didn't help.
Now that I have rear disc's I would really like to have them working.
Old 04-18-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts

The brake line into the RWAL is the rearward ftting.
The fitting near the center of the RWAL goes to the rubber brake hose.
Is that what you were asking?

-Niemand