Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

XZT+ and Adrenaline Guys Look In Here for High Idle and TT options.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 11:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XZT+ and Adrenaline Guys Look In Here for High Idle and TT options.

Ok, there are 2 things I want to go over. The other thread is almost too dang long so I will do this here to keep from muddying the water up.

First there is a lot of talk about a high idle. The high idle part I have done. Works beautiful and holds 1200 rpms until you turn it off!!!!

Now, here is the tough part. How do we make this usable where it is still easy but, does not require me to completely re-invent the wheel. So I am going to tell you what I have right now. You tell me why it won't work or what is wrong with it. I am not saying I can't make it better as we go but, you gotta start somewhere.

First, we have to give a dedicated PL or setting for the high idle. On the XZT+ this could be the off setting or the middle setting. On the Adrenaline it would be easiest if it were PL0 or PL1. I can put it at PL99 on the Adrenaline but that would be a lot more work! The less work I do the more features you guys get!!!!

Ok, so here is how it works. You want high idle, you select your High Idle setting. Bump the throttle and she is activated and idles at 1200rpm or whatever we need to set it at. To deactivate it you hit the brake pedal.

The only problem I see is that you do not want to drive in the high idle setting as it would be easy for you to activate the high idle when you don't want to like in stop and go traffic or something?

Other than that, will that work? Is 1200rpms good?

Now, for the Adrenaline guys. On the Turbo Timer we are going to start deactivating it via the Brake Pedal. I need you guys to tell me on a time scale what time you would prefer and on an egt scale what egt you would prefer? This is for the base box, if you end up with the Commander you can adjust this at your will. I am just not going to do 1000 tuning files. I will be a couple of the most popular choices and go from there.

While I have you. What de-fuel settings do we want for EGT, Boost and Fuel Pressure? Do I need to de-fuel on anything else? Do you want something that will look at all of them at the same time?

Speak up!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quad, I think that theft of egt based turbo timer running truck is an issue. I believe the reason why edge has the accelerator kill the truck is to prevent theft, no go pedal, driving. If it is brake activated, a knowledgeable thief could drive away with your pride and joy.

I think a combo boost and egt based defueling setting would be awesome for guys running stock turbos and too much fuel. I know that the wastegate is supposed to open and solve the overboost problem, but with guys like me, I can still build 40 psi with the wastegate open when I'm racing. I would also at the same time like to limit egt to 1550 or so.

In fact, I wonder if my truck would be faster if it was fueled just enough to make 35 psi but also had a safety feature like 1550 max egt so I can drive instead of watching the pyro. I know that extreme racers don't care about egt, "Lotero", but less aggressive drivers like to have some margin of safety.

Quad, one more think, is there a way to build a super timing file for say just 70 mph highway cruise at 2000 RPM that will deliver even more mileage? Maybe with boost defueling built in so you don't pop the gasket with all of the increased cylinder pressure due to timing. Have you testing how much timing the cummins can take and stay together? Is there a point of no more gain in fuel economy? I'm thinking of just a highway, empty, 700 egt, 3-7 psi boost, long trip mode that could get 20 - 24 mpg.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:20 AM

this is for he XZT+, i like the idea of the high idle in the off position i dont see alot of people useing that on often anyway, i eather want good milage or the extra power so i stick to those 2 that would give me a reason to use the last one. other then that sounds great.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:28 AM

The Smar** enables the high idle to come alive at certain temps, etc... It ramps up all by itself and shuts down when the brake or throttle is applied. Can the adrenaline box do the same without using a certain temp, TPS, etc??? A few other brand trucks ramp up on their own after so many minutes, that would be the ticket???
Old 10-23-2007, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by dodgediesel
The Smar** enables the high idle to come alive at certain temps, etc... It ramps up all by itself and shuts down when the brake or throttle is applied. Can the adrenaline box do the same without using a certain temp, TPS, etc??? A few other brand trucks ramp up on their own after so many minutes, that would be the ticket???
There is a lot of ways to do it. I can and will do something automatic at some point. I am working in baby steps right now. Think immediately available.

To do something automatic a lot of logic is required. You say you want it to happen without looking at temp or anything? Just idle up and stay there forever?

How long do you want to wait?

If that is the case why not just tap the pedal when you get out? I don't see the advantage of waiting 2 minutes and then doing the same thing?

If it is going to be automatic I would think you would want it to keep the engine in a temp range, otherwise I see no difference other than tapping the pedal to start it?

I also like the idea of manual start and a seperate level for those that don't want it all the time. I know in my new dodge trucks it drives me crazy!

I also thought about a TT setting that would leave it running forever and idle it up so you can put your keys in your pocket???
Old 10-23-2007, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by qzilla
On the Adrenaline it would be easiest if it were PL0 or PL1. I can put it at PL99 on the Adrenaline but that would be a lot more work! The less work I do the more features you guys get!!!!

Ok, so here is how it works. You want high idle, you select your High Idle setting. Bump the throttle and she is activated and idles at 1200rpm or whatever we need to set it at. To deactivate it you hit the brake pedal.

The only problem I see is that you do not want to drive in the high idle setting as it would be easy for you to activate the high idle when you don't want to like in stop and go traffic or something?

Other than that, will that work? Is 1200rpms good?

Now, for the Adrenaline guys. On the Turbo Timer we are going to start deactivating it via the Brake Pedal. I need you guys to tell me on a time scale what time you would prefer and on an egt scale what egt you would prefer? This is for the base box, if you end up with the Commander you can adjust this at your will. I am just not going to do 1000 tuning files. I will be a couple of the most popular choices and go from there.

While I have you. What de-fuel settings do we want for EGT, Boost and Fuel Pressure? Do I need to de-fuel on anything else? Do you want something that will look at all of them at the same time?

Speak up!
Ok here it goes:

High Idle- I like where your going with this I only have one thing to offer. I have my truck on a remote start and would love to have the setting on PL0 and work instantly. Other wise might as well just take the extra 50 steps and manually start it and jab the ole broomstick in there. 1200 RPMs is perfect for warm up and for anything I'd need.

Turbo Timer-
I am ok with the deactivate with the brake pedal. My alarm is on as soon as I lock the truck so theft isn't a big deal for me. 3 minutes is a good time frame for me and I'd like to see a 350 to 300 degree cut off on the EGTs.

Defuel Settings-
EGTs I'd like to see 1250 degrees, boost 40psi Max and fuel pressure at anything lower than 5 PSI. As far as looking at them all do you mean all of them would have to be in those ranges for it to defuel or do you mean that if any of them is in that range it will defuel. If the latter is correct, then yes I'd like all of the ranges to be monitored and if anyone of them goes into the spec'ed range then it defuels. Maybe defueling on engine temp as well anything over 250 degrees. Also for us auto tranny guys a temp setting on the tranny might be nice, say if tranny temp is over 290 degrees. Just a thought.

P.S I also posted in the the race box thread in response to torque management.
Old 10-23-2007, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Whatever you come up with do it in the "off" position. I'll never run in "off" otherwise so it would be a nice place for an idle only setting.
Mike
Old 10-23-2007, 09:03 AM

Originally Posted by Big Blue24
I know that extreme racers don't care about egt, "Lotero", but less aggressive drivers like to have some margin of safety.
hey! how did i get thrown into this!?
on the high idle, i would love to have it based on ambient temp and on setting 0, that to me is awesome, unless you can program it in to my remote start controller now THAT would be sweet . i think in most cases ambient temp would be the way to go. as far as turbo timer, my currently installed turbo timer is disabled by the brake pedal and i think that is perfect, i am with chris, once i leave the truck running the alarm is armed. if a thief gets into my truck while its running the keys are out and it cant be shifted into gear anyway, also, first thing a person normally does when trying to shift a vehicle into a gear is put thier foot on the brake.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 AM
Banned

does this mean the adrenaline module is coming soon?
i am about to buy a tst but if the module is a few months away, I WILL WAIT!!!!!!!

i have fast idle enable via smarty and the ecm pin at #22.
as for turbo timer, when i ran tst, i set it for 300* for shutdown.

please tell me the adrenaline is ready.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:56 AM

Chris,

Please step away from the 2nd Gen Site. Move calmly and slowly so we do not have to apprehend you!!

When the 3rd gen stuff comes around, you will know. I promise!!!!!! For now you better buy a TST.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:08 AM

Cspotrun explained it perfectly for the high idle except instantly might not be a good idea. I'm thinking a 1 minute delay to ensure proper idle and oil pressure. When it's cold and I remote start my truck, the Sma*** ramps up automatically to 1200 rpm and that is the sweetest feature for those cold winters. Actually any kind of 1200 rpm high idle will be a sweet option no matter what way you program it. Thanks Quad for giving us all the option to make all kinds of great program suggestions. That makes this box lightyears beyond the rest!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 AM
Banned

I love your humor quad.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:13 AM

Too funny!!!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm all for a high idle control like you're talking about for the XZT+. I never have mine off so the off position would be perfect. My only concern would be a liability to you if for some reason some bonehead doesn't turn it off and has a wreck because the idle was too high and then goes after you. Maybe you could have it turn itself off when it's in gear for us auto guys.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:41 PM

Brake application or above high idle rpm could de-activate it? The only reason a few of us are really pushing the high idle is for the jobsite trucks that idle for extended periods. I just think so many people with remote starters would love a automatic high idle like Smarty has, that all...

Quick Reply: XZT+ and Adrenaline Guys Look In Here for High Idle and TT options.