Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Wish me luck!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2005, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish me luck!!

Well guys. As some of you know; my turbo bit the dust a while back. It still works but at shutdown it makes a noise like the shaft is rubbing the bushings, and sometimes it act a little wierd, and has to much play in the shaft. Well, I ordered the rebuild kit($100.25 shipped) from HTT, and they sent it out last Thursday, and i recieved it today. I have the instructions downloaded. Im going to rebuild it myself PROBABLY Saturday. It doesent look like it will be to bad. Im nervous, but i think i will be fine. How hard can it be? Anyways. I will let you guys know how it goes, and hopefully it will fix all my problems. Wish me luck, and if anyone has done this before, feel free to give suggestions. I will TRY to get pictures, but cant promise anything.

Eric
Old 04-27-2005, 08:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good Luck! I hope it works out for you.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First look up Holset on Google and download the complete manual on your turbo. I have built severl on big trucks, but not this one. They are simple if you know what to look for. Just remember the nut on the turbine wheel is left handed, don't screw it up. Spotless clean like an automatic trans and make sure it has oil in it before it is started.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:34 PM

Thanks guys! Appreciate it. Yes. I have the complete teardown of the turbo downloaded from holsets site. Yes. I knew that was left handed, but thanks for reminding me. Overall i dont think it will be a problem. Thanks again!

Eric
Old 04-27-2005, 10:57 PM

make sure that you get the pinwheel in time with the shaft. i know that some turbos are core balanced and it throws the turbo off balance if you don't get it back exactly like it was, i would say mark it on the exhaust side and then mark it on the intake side from the blades to the turbo housing. if you just try to mark from the shaft to the pinwheel, it will be way too easy to get it mis-aligned and out of tune. also make sure to mark the 2 housings to the center section and DONT WASH YOUR MARKS OFF lol. another thing to make sure of is to get the break in the oil rings to the top of the turbocharger.trust me, i have learned the hard way about how to do things. do not force the shaft into the housing or the aluminum housing over the oil ring on the intake side, it is a tapered housing and it will go easy with a little wiggle here and there. just trying to make it as easy for you as possible. it should work fine with new bushings in it. let the truck warm up and cool down for a few minutes and try not to start it and turn it off every time you get in and out of the truck like my buddies do, it will save wear and tear on your turbo. engine, and starter.
Old 04-28-2005, 06:32 PM

I posted tips and tricks on this rebuild a few months ago, do a search and check it out.
Old 04-29-2005, 11:47 PM

Thanks guys. Ill probably tear into it tomorrow, but i couldnt find your rebuild post. If anyone could locate it for me i would be thankful. Overall i think ill be fine. Ill just make sure i know how everything came out, and be clean. Shouldnt be to bad. Thanks guys!

Eric
Old 04-30-2005, 12:19 AM

hmmm... it's probably so old it rolled off the board. Well the biggest thing I can tell you
is to read the holset manual all the way through before you start the rebuild. This is not a hard job but it requires extream attention to detail. Make careful notes on exactly how your turbo was assembled. Take pics of every step. The manulal covers several models and you can get yourself into trouble if you don't know how your turbo came apart. For example I didn't pay attention to how my compressor housing came apart. When I reassembled the kit included a rubber o ring to seal the compressor housing to the center section. I placed the rubber o ring on and the housing didn't seem to seat right and the retainer ring didn't seat well either. I assumed that the kit wouldn't have one in there if I didn't need it and it made sense to have one, sooooo up cajone pass I went at 80 mph and just about at the summit I hear POP zinnnnnng. The compressor housing had blown off the center section and the compressor wheel was all scarfed up. Now I am on the side of the road with a HOT turbo at 9pm and it's dark I managed to get the turbo back together enough to get home(sans the oring) and I called HTT. They said Oh no, no oring on that model. ahhhhhhhhh So learn from me, read first, take notes and stay away from the beer! Oh and the e clips that hold the bearnings in the center section are chamfered and it matters which way they go. I had to get a magnifying glass to see the chamfers and how to install them right. Harbor freight has a set of snap ring pliers big enough to get the compressor housing snap ring on and off. Hmm, that's all I can think of.
Old 04-30-2005, 09:58 AM

Thanks guys! I appreciate it. Still debating on whether or not to do it today.

Eric
Old 05-01-2005, 06:44 PM

Well. To make a very long story short. I need a turbo. First of all the intake housing and wheel were ate up from the in/out play i guess. Figured id rebuild it, and just drive it till i could get a new intake housing/wheel. Rebuilt it, put it on. Started the truck with no air filter, and watched it. Spun freely with no problems. Shut it off; it spooled down. Put ont he filter. Took off down the road, and after driving down my road easy, and only ghetting to 10psi, I mashed it. Shot to 30psi, and i heard a really fast sssshhhhhhhhhtttttttttttttttt. Just threw it in neutral shut off the truck, and coasted off the side of the road. Needless to say for some reason my turbo was locked up tight. Buddy pulled me home backwards with his chevy(nowhere good to hook on the front), since i was only a mile from home, and i took it off, and pulled it back apart. Its pretty well done for. So anyone got a turbo?? Do all the Hy-35's have the 9cm exhaust housing, or how does that go? I might know where i can get one off a 24v that was wrecked, but not sure if its an auto or manual. Im beat

Eric
Old 05-01-2005, 07:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
oh man, total bummer! wish I had a spare hangin around for ya. Good luck in your search.
g
Old 05-02-2005, 11:27 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. With a few phone calls i rounded up a nice used HX35 today, and got it bolted on. All is weel now, so im all . Its aggrovating that it went bad, but life goes on. Its just one of those things. Thanks again

Eric