Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Will I be happy with 275s???

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2004, 08:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will I be happy with 275s???

I have got the bug and am trying to determine what I want to do and how far I want to go.

I have an '02 Auto w/ 4.10s. I currently only have an EZ and a K&N FIPK.

I am thinking of putting on a magnaflow 4" exhaust and just 275s. This should jump me up another 30-40hp for around $700.00

I would ultimately like to go to an Edge Comp and DD2s, but I am not looking to forward to spending the 5K on the tranny and dealing with upgrading the LP right now.

Am I just throwing my money away by buying the 275s? How long should my stock tranny last with the EZ and 275s? I only pull my race trailer (approx 7k lbs) about once a month.

Is swapping out the EZ for a Comp and neglecting the injectors till later an option?

I think I know the answers to my questions, but I would like some opinions to help out.

Thanks,
Shawn
Old 08-01-2004, 10:45 AM

I had the 275s for 180k and loved them.Truck ran great iy was a 98 24v auto 3500. It had 292920 on the clock when I traded for the 03 with the original trans so if you're careful you're trans should last. I didn't tow that with that much weight not much over 10k.

Jim
Old 08-01-2004, 04:46 PM

I have them and am satisfied. It's a matter of choice. Some guys need more juice.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:04 PM

I had them for about a year. The 275s really woke up my HO. They will put a smile on your face.

"I have got the bug" That is the only problem with the 275s!
Old 08-01-2004, 09:53 PM

I put them on a year ago. It woke it up a bit. But I am very bored of them now. I wish I had gone larger. I will NOW!!!!!

My opinion, dont wast your time or money. Put in a set of EDM mach 1.5 or 2.0's

Zino
Old 08-01-2004, 09:56 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
FOURWHEELS, at the very least before you spend any more engine money, go ahead & get you a valve body job done to your tranny. I think that would be money spent on the wiser side. The CHRYSLER TC will hold up a surprising long time with a better valve body. Otherwise, you are gonna tear up that TC adding more power & pulling with it. I am not sure where you are from, but you may be able to check around & get your valve body pulled out & spring kit added in the 300 dollar range, maybe less or a little more, from a local tranny shop. It will be worth checking in to.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:44 AM

On the 275's --

They'll wake up the CTD in combo with a timing box. And they will give you slightly better mileage and driveability on an HO. Any larger injector will have the opposite effect on mileage.

So, if you want more power and better mileage, the 275's will do it. If you want -more- power, go with the EDM's.
Old 08-02-2004, 11:27 AM

I love my 275's. If I calculated right, I picked up almost 2 mpg with city driving. I'm usually pretty light on the right foot which will definatley determine your mileage gain.

craig
Old 08-02-2004, 11:55 AM

Bighead,
Is it recommended for a tranny shop to change out the valve body or is this something I can do in the driveway?

Any recomendations on valve bodies?

Jeeepxj.
Noticed you are in Virginia Beach also...Interested in supervising bombing in the near future?
Old 08-02-2004, 02:14 PM

I was begining to wonder if there were any other diesel heads here at the Beach. I'm definately a novice with the CTD's, but I'm not definately not against gettin dirty trying. What kind of bombs do you have coming up ? I was informed that Timinva was a good person here to make friends with. He is also at the Beach somewhere.

craig
Old 08-02-2004, 02:30 PM

I have updated my personal/truck info...hopefully it will show up.

I have a few bombs in the works right now.

I am installing a leveling kit sometime this week. I have a set of Hummer H2 wheels at the machine shop right now getting the inner bores enlarged.

4" magnaflow exhaust is in the near future.

A little power pump up in the form of injectors or swapping the ez for a comp.

and it looks like valve body upgrade will be on the list.

I was told of TiminVa from one of the TDR members. After reading Tim's truck description, he seems like somebody that will have me draining the bank account. We will have to find him and all get together. I live in Kempsville across from Tallwood High School.
Old 08-02-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is a review wrote by Ted Jannetty of Jannety Racing about injectors.Injectors: The device that delivers the fuel to the cylinder under high pressure and breaks the fuel in to the finest mist possible, it also determines spray pattern and has a very strong effect on emissions, power and fuel economy.

To explain in simple terms is not easy but here goes:
There is a spray nozzle with several holes, usually 4 to 6, inside this nozzle there is a pintle that covers these holes and is held down with a heavy spring. The opening pressures on average are around 4000 psi to lift the pintle off of the seat and allow fuel to pass through the injector. The high pressure, very precise holes and sharp edges are what atomizes the fuel, so it can mix with the air.

These are next on my list for many reasons. We do not like to push more fuel through a small injector because it retards timing, puts undue stress on the injection pump, and limits performance. The bigger injectors will allow more fuel flow delivered in shorter duration, effectively advancing timing, cleaner combustion, less stress on the injector pump, and usually better fuel economy.

There are several to choose from:

New Bosch 275 hp RV Injectors: These are my favorites they give a very noticeable increase in power without smoke, emissions, or economy concerns, in fact most will notice a slight increase in economy. I call these my Stage 1 injectors. You can expect a 40 to 60 hp increase in power depending on factory hp level you start with. We have made up to 485 hp with these injectors so don’t be fooled by there size.

Extrude honed nozzles will come in different stages of increase in fuel delivery. Diesel Dynamics seems to be the leader in this field and offers two levels above the 275 RV injectors to the public. DD-ISB002, I call these JRE Stage 2 injectors. These are new injectors that are tested and if they pass are disassembled extrude honed for a very specific time to increase the size of the holes in the nozzle. You can expect a 60 to 80 hp increase in power depending on factory hp level you start with. These seem to be as big as you can go without what I see as excessive smoke. A light gray haze on acceleration that you can see in bright day light, is acceptable.

Hope you enjoyed the reading. I've had rv275 for about a year and 1/2 now and they are great. Hope this helps you decide!
Old 08-04-2004, 02:49 AM
Banned

you'll be happy w/ the 275's...

but you'll want more!

go for it
Old 08-04-2004, 04:03 PM

I had 275s first then went to dd2's and now 2.2 edms which are a hot injector even with my b1-2. So if you don't want to buy a bigger turbo and watch your pyro i think you can get plenty of power from275's and a nice fueling box on a stock turbo. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-04-2004, 06:52 PM

More Power,
I think you have hit the nail on the head. I think I am going with the 275s and an Edge comp.

I am going to upgrade the TC and VB and leave it at that. I talked to a few tranny vendors today and they agreed that the upgraded TC and VB would hold the comp and 275s just fine.