Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Update On PE Pump

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update On PE Pump

Got some good news. I went and hooked a mechanical FP gauge (0-100 psi) up to the schrader valve (had to go back to the stock fuel line) and it read 22 psi at idle. Cool. So I drove around with it hooked up and checked the readings at various points along the way (the hose on it wasn't long enough to strap to the windshield). It still read 22 psi. Sweet. Went home and hooked up my digital FP gauge to the same line and went for a drive on the same trip. It started off at 17.6, but by the end of the drive, it was flashing EEE (meaning the pressure was to high). Phew. At least now I know my pressures aren't off the chart. I'm going to get a longer hose and strap the gauge to my windshield and drive around and see if the needle even moves (hopefully it's not a bad gauge). Now the only problem I have is this fuel leak (which I can't get sealed so I'm gonna have to buy a new fitting) and the problem with the trigger wire. Could I just wire it to a switch in the cab so when I get in the truck, I can turn it on and off?
Old 09-01-2003, 05:59 PM

Re:Update On PE Pump

Woudnt it also be a anti theft deal?
Old 09-01-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Blue,
Tell me again why you aren't using the factory fuel pump hot wire to trigger the PE.
I thought you got the fuel pressure down to 13 psi by cutting the spring. ???

Chris
Old 09-02-2003, 12:11 AM
Banned

It went down to 13 on the digital gauge, but it shot back up to over 30. After discussing it with PE, they said there is absolutely no way the pump can do over 25. The motor just physically can't pump that much pressure. It's to small. The most they got out of it was 25 and that was with the bypass completely shut. That's why I installed the mechanical gauge. Just to see if the sender was shot. Turns out it was.

The reason I'm not using the trigger wire from the stock lift pump is cause the ECM for the pump is dead. It died while I was trying to prime the truck. Yall think that maybe after being primed so much, the lift pump relay quits working for a period of time to allow the pump time to cool off or something? Kind of like a fail safe mode or something?
Old 09-02-2003, 07:19 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You may have blown a fuse, but should not have burnt anything out. How were you priming the system?
The lift pump wire is hot when you turn the key on, for about 15 seconds, then only gets hot when the engine is turning or is bumped and stays on for about 20-25 seconds. I suggest you at least hook up a test light and observe when the wire is hot. If it is not hot, check fuses.

You still looking for the regulator?

Chris
Old 09-02-2003, 03:21 PM
Banned

Maybe on the regulator. I was priming it by bumping the starter. It was working fine till I went to start it one time and it quit working. Hooked a test light up to it and bumped the starter again, still no power to the wire. I was wondering if maybe I overheated the relay and it quit working to protect itself. The only thing I could find in the under hood fuse block that relates to the fuel pump is the fuel pump relay. That's it.