Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

truck takes along time to crank up. Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 10:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
truck takes along time to crank up. Need Help.

the truck takes 2 good long cranks to get it started, this can happen even if the truck is shut off for 30 minutes or over night. we put stock injectors back in and the problem started a few days later. It still has the holly blue pump up by the stock lift pump I don't know if this could cause any problems. the truck runs fine once started. we have already pulled the injectors and put them back in to eliminate it being from an air leak. my only other question is could it be bad or dirty injectors i got them from a buddy and they were out of a truck for 6 months before going back into mine. I'm open to any suggestions because i already have a buyer for the truck and i need to have it running asap. and it does not have a box on it anymore.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:21 AM

You are just losing prime. I had a hard start that took a while to find, and I would suspect the O-rings on the delivery tubes may have gotten wrecked from the injector change. Or you could have just nicked the end of a tube that you may not have gotten out of the way when you put the the injectors in. I would start there............good luck.
Old 10-13-2005, 05:36 AM

lot of people with starting problems has to do with the connection of the prongs in the starter... you may be getting enough connection to trip the starter relay but is it hot enough to have max preassure on the plunge?...... my hard start was fixed by just rebuilding the starter with a rebuild kit on ebay... its 2 copper prongs and a new heavy duty plunger... takes about an hour to drop the starter and rebuild it.....its really really really easy to do and cheap... 19.00 dollars on ebay...