Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

triple disk dtt tc

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 03:02 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think if you are throwing down that much power, 2 extra discs in the T/C ain't gonna make a dang bit of difference in 1/4 mile times. Maybe if you were comparing a stock truck running a single disc and then swapped in a triple disc......then yeah maybe it would make a slight difference. I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

~Nick
Old 12-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Banned

http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/vie...t=12&start=165

That is some interesting stuff.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Stefan
So thanks a lot guys now I have to go back to work and put them on the website and advertise we do build them.
It's about time you do something Stefan.
Old 12-18-2006, 06:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
converter

I read a post that a fellow had a tripple disc and it was DTT a few months ago. I wondered if anyone else saw the post. I searched the DTT web sight and found no information on it. It was more of a wont to know and was it possible. Is it out of line to ask about the warrenty of the tripple converter. Same as the single? thanks Jim
Old 12-18-2006, 09:14 PM

I really wasn't trying to start any arguments. I am just trying to get the best thing for me. I know dtt single disks are strong and the only real reason I can see to buy the triple is because it is billet and the single is in the stock shell (as I understand it.) Hey stefan, since I sold some of your product, can I get a discount on my parts or maybe some freebies.
Old 12-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Stefan
This has been a very interesting thread to say the least as the feedback we have been getting today is unreal. The general consensus today has been as we can build a single disc that will hold over 1000 HP then with our fluid coupling and our TC technology we will also build the best 3 disc out there.

We sold 5 of these just today and we don’t even advertise them.
So thanks a lot guys now I have to go back to work and put them on the website and advertise we do build them. Most guys think that a converter is a tranny and it is an external component. As long as you have a TC you can hold 1000 hp is what a large % of the public thinks as proven by this thread.
Peter from Southbend said it best, if it is what the market wants build it. We just never advertised we did it obviously we were wrong not to do so .
Okay, so do they (3 disk) rob power? or make for longer ET's? In the thread posted on the DTT forum, it seems the arguement Bill makes is heavily favoring the single over the 3 disk. Keep in mind, I'm not doubting the quality of your product. I have seen the 1020 sheet, and have the video on Dunbar's dyno. It is Obvious that the single can handle the power, but I am curious as to why you would build the 3 disk just because the public wants it if there is no real advantage to having it.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:50 AM
Banned

Very simple. The public demands a triple disk because everyone says that they are the best thing. DTT is in business to make money and sell their products. If the market demands a triple disk then make a triple disk and sell it. Simple supply and demand.
Old 12-19-2006, 08:32 AM
Banned

Yeah, but I remember them saying they (3discs) were inferior and could actually cause harm to the rest of the trans. (as stated in the link to the DTT forum above) So why the change of heart? Why produce and sell something that is inferior just because the tranny buying public wants it, when you sold your converter on the opinion that it is superior to a multiple disk for years? And you are right Blue, this is a case of supply and demand, just not in the traditional sense.

I still wanna know if it(multiple disc) robs power or slows down times.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:22 AM
Banned

Times have changed. People change. Things that were once though inferior are now proven to work reliably. I still remember when everyone thought that a wire tap was guaranteed to kill your VP44 and that a 600hp daily driver was absolutely unheard of and undoable and that you couldn't daily drive a big single turbo. I remember when the FASS first came to market and people were doubting it because it was an electric pump but now it's been proven and is out there on thousands and trucks and is pumping away reliably day in and day out.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by timbeaux38
Yeah, but I remember them saying they (3discs) were inferior and could actually cause harm to the rest of the trans.
I remember that as well... or at least the concept was unnecessary and 3 disks were not better than one high quality, stout disk.
Knowing DTT and their way of doing things, I assume they designed a triple that works well and will hold up!

My question is, under what conditions do they recommend a triple over a single??

RJ
Old 12-19-2006, 10:56 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by rjohnson
Knowing DTT and their way of doing things, I assume they designed a triple that works well and will hold up!

My question is, under what conditions do they recommend a triple over a single??

RJ
I would be interested in knowing this too. There may be folks that have spent $$ they did not need to.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:05 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Times have changed. People change. Things that were once though inferior are now proven to work reliably. I still remember when everyone thought that a wire tap was guaranteed to kill your VP44 and that a 600hp daily driver was absolutely unheard of and undoable and that you couldn't daily drive a big single turbo. I remember when the FASS first came to market and people were doubting it because it was an electric pump but now it's been proven and is out there on thousands and trucks and is pumping away reliably day in and day out.

Yes, I remember those days as well, they dont have much to do with the issue at hand, but eloquently put nontheless. Funny that everyone seems to be tap-dancing around the "3 disk=slower ET's " Question, and a straight answer as to wether 3 disk is or is not inferior to a single disk design in High HP applications.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:08 AM
Banned

I was only referring to
Yeah, but I remember them saying they (3discs) were inferior and could actually cause harm to the rest of the trans. (as stated in the link to the DTT forum above) So why the change of heart? Why produce and sell something that is inferior just because the tranny buying public wants it, when you sold your converter on the opinion that it is superior to a multiple disk for years? And you are right Blue, this is a case of supply and demand, just not in the traditional sense.

And it would probably be very hard to measure just how much if any the triple disk is slower than a single disk cause I don't know anyone who's run both on the track back to back in a consistant enough manner to get a good idea on the time. Way to many variables to figure into it.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:16 AM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tim,

Maybe the statement Augusta posted was for her truck alone? The triple from DTT she had installed after her single was slower, but this could have been mearly from stator design/stall speed and nothing more. Since stall speeds really can have an effect on turbo performance, this could very well be the reason that statement was made.

Rotational weight can change ET slightly as well. I know there are countless accounts of lighter reciprocating weights helping ET. Lighter flywheels on gassers made from aluminum VS iron, or lighter pistons and rods in a gasser, etc have shown in some cases to help lower ET.

Perhpas a lighter single disk VS the heavier triple is having some effect on that for Augusta?
Old 12-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Don M
Tim,

Maybe the statement Augusta posted was for her truck alone? The triple from DTT she had installed after her single was slower, but this could have been mearly from stator design/stall speed and nothing more. Since stall speeds really can have an effect on turbo performance, this could very well be the reason that statement was made.

Rotational weight can change ET slightly as well. I know there are countless accounts of lighter reciprocating weights helping ET. Lighter flywheels on gassers made from aluminum VS iron, or lighter pistons and rods in a gasser, etc have shown in some cases to help lower ET.

Perhpas a lighter single disk VS the heavier triple is having some effect on that for Augusta?
Thank you Don. It is nice to get a reply with facts instead of plattitude speak. I can see the stall speed arguement, and was thinking along those lines. I'm surprised no one has mentioned it.

Quick Reply: triple disk dtt tc