Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

triple disk dtt tc

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2006, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
triple disk dtt tc

Is anyone out there running a triple disk dtt torque converter. My builder james was ordering my parts and bill at dtt recommended I go with a triple disk. This is the first time I've really heard them recommend it. Bill recommends it because of my horsepower and the occasional time I tow my backhoe or little dozer. Is anyone running it. Is anyone running a single disk with high horsepower and heavy towing and how is it holding up. There is minimal cost difference, but I don't know the advantages and disadvantage. Will there be a difference in speed or power. Thanks for the help.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:56 PM

Put the triple disk in and you won't be sorry.
Old 12-14-2006, 07:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If Bill recommended you use a triple, then use it. I trust his advice implicitly.

Paul
Old 12-15-2006, 07:56 AM

I put in a chip set to increase my HP and torque to tow with...and....in less than 4 months I blew the torque converter which toasted my tranny. Had the tranny rebuilt with heavier shift bands and put in a Banks TC.

Unfortunately, Banks is/was having problems with their converter locking up (they finally admitted they had a big problem after I pushed them enough - they ended up pulling from the market for a while.). Lucky for me, I didn't have any tranny problems. So....I ended up replacing it with a Suncoast triple disk TC and YEAH....no more problems.

The short of it.......just do it, it will save you many hassles later!
Old 12-15-2006, 08:01 AM

I don't have any issues towing with my single DTT but if Bill recommended it I'd go for it.
Old 12-15-2006, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by mcoleman
I don't have any issues towing with my single DTT but if Bill recommended it I'd go for it.
Yeah, I should clarify too. I have always used a single disk DTT converter, and towing has not been an issue. I don't tow heavy though. If you are honest with Bill on what you are going to use your truck for, then you can't go wrong following his recommendations.
Old 12-16-2006, 07:37 PM

Does anybody know of any disadvantages of a triple disk (power, acceleration, etc)
Old 12-16-2006, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by derceg
Does anybody know of any disadvantages of a triple disk (power, acceleration, etc)
Slightly slower 1/4 mile ETs (I was told tenths of a second). What is your power level?
Old 12-17-2006, 03:34 AM

Kind of funny he now recommends a triple when he fought so hard several years back that to not recommend them.
Old 12-17-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Kind of funny he now recommends a triple when he fought so hard several years back that to not recommend them.
Yeah those tranny war posts were downright brutal (some were even locked up) So now the question, are Bill and Stefan succeeding to marketing pressures or was there a flaw in their theories of disc lock-up that others picked up on.
Old 12-17-2006, 11:32 AM

That was my problem with this whole situation. When I started transmission hunting, narrowing down to dtt and gb, I talked to stefan several times and he told me the triples are overrated, used three thinner disks, so I should go with his single. James, his builder in TX, still doesn't think it is completely necessary but believes it may be a good idea. James also said Bill has been doing lots of r&d on triple disks and has exposed the weaknesses and fixed the problems. The more people I talk to and the more I read, the more I get confused.

I really couldn't tell you what my power level is, my transmission doesn't hold up to the power to know. I would hope I am at least 500 hp
Old 12-17-2006, 12:55 PM

I also think that is kind of funny. DTT said the triple was a weak design, but now they are building them? Ill just tell you, there is nothing weak about my GB triple disk, and I love it. Honestly i dont know if you would be better off with DTT's single or triple. I guess just go with what they reccomend even though it is the opposite of what they said a few years ago.

Eric
Old 12-17-2006, 01:07 PM

I run a DTT triple and the lockup seem to be more solid. As far as slowing you down in the 1/4, I don't know. It make sense that you would though. I was a little shocked when Bill/Stephan recommended triple over a single but it all depends on what you plan on doing with it and how much power you plan to eventually have.

I told them I was looking to be at 700+ hp later down the road and plan on taking her to the track once or twice . At that power level they recommended I go with a triple because I'll run right through a single.

Originally Posted by cumminsdriver635
I also think that is kind of funny. DTT said the triple was a weak design, but now they are building them? Ill just tell you, there is nothing weak about my GB triple disk, and I love it. Honestly i dont know if you would be better off with DTT's single or triple. I guess just go with what they reccomend even though it is the opposite of what they said a few years ago.

Eric

Last edited by J Double; 12-17-2006 at 05:07 PM. Reason: drinkng and typing don't mix
Old 12-17-2006, 04:08 PM
Banned

I'd trust what bill recommends. He set me straight on my tranny with what I need and you'll love the way it runs after James gets done with it. I had him build mine over a month ago and I've been smiles ever since.
Old 12-17-2006, 09:59 PM

whats the reason that i would lose in the 1/4.

Quick Reply: triple disk dtt tc