Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Trans rebuild receipt, what do you think?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 10:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trans rebuild receipt, what do you think?

The previous owner of my truck had the trans rebuilt right before he sold it (I think he bought it with a bad trans) he had it done a shop in Colorado Springs. The important stuff on the receipt says this exactly...

-Custom Build 618 4x4 trans H. duty with all updates
-custom build H. duty torq conv. (medium)
-1 VB update valve & calib. pkg

How much better than a stock trans do you think this is? I have the mods listed in my sig and have never felt the trans slip..it shifts firmly under power. any opinions?
Old 03-05-2007, 11:13 PM

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
I would imagine each transmission builder has his own little "tricks" for transmission improvement, and his own favorite brands of torque converter and such. It may be worth a call to the rebuilder to see how close to stock this rebuild was.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:16 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are pulling a trailer, going up a grade, and lean into the pedal and with the mods you're running the torque converter doesn't "shudder" I'd say "yes", you are better than stock. Give the builder a call and quiz them.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:34 PM

How expensive was the converter that was installed? That can be a fairly good gauge of what was put in the trans. Of course the converter isn't stock because that would be an expensive replacement part and give no better performance and the valve body adjustment is probably something similar to a transgo kit that changes a few springs and increases line pressure to make shifts firmer. Even with a simple rebuild you probably have a decent enough trans for moderate towing and normal usage. If you get crazy with boosted launches and abuse similar to that I would say you are guaranteed to break it. My .02, Eric
Old 03-06-2007, 01:00 AM

I dont have any plans to tow very much with it as of right now. I was more concerned with it not breaking with power mods.

All of the parts for the trans were $1,367. This included TC, VB, overhaul kit, bearings and whatever else.

I'll be down in the Springs in a week..I think I'll swing by and ask them about it
Old 03-06-2007, 09:11 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by AllonBlack
I dont have any plans to tow very much with it as of right now. I was more concerned with it not breaking with power mods.

All of the parts for the trans were $1,367. This included TC, VB, overhaul kit, bearings and whatever else.

I'll be down in the Springs in a week..I think I'll swing by and ask them about it
sounds like a stock rebuild to me..... a friend of mine is getting a local guy to rebuild his for $1250 and that's new stock converter and all new innards too.... something came apart in the OD unit on his and puked metal everywhere....