Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Tow Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2006, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tow Hooks

I did a search and came up blank, so..... I want to put tow hooks on the front of my '02 2500 CTD, but I'm unsure if they'll work with the air dam under the front bumper. Last summer I got stuck in soft ground and it took a tractor to pull me out. Wrapped a 3" tow strap around the ends of the front axle and *gently* eased it on out, with help from my 4WD/granny gear. I'm going to order a 3"x30' strap, but what about the hooks ?? I see some universal ones for about $25.00, but after looking under the truck, see nowhere to mount them. Dodge wants $135.00 for a pair, and that seems awful high. Then, too, can I use them with that air dam ?? Do you think it would be better to get a couple of axle straps to hook to that tow strap, and just use the axle again if the need arises ?? Thanks. Lar.
Old 02-04-2006, 11:07 PM

I should add to that - if I go with using the 4WD front axle as a tow point, what's the best way to hook to it ?? I'm thinking of something like a tree saver strap on each side to even out the load, and shackle one end of the tow strap to each one. My only experience with this in the past was a lot of pulling people out of snow banks with a '72 Bronco and a 1"x20' poly rope with a hook on each end. It worked very well, but this is a lot heavier rig, and I'd appreciate some input. Thanks.

Lar.

Lar.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:17 AM

Tow Hooks

That 138 dollars will be well spent. Most "store" hooks you bolt on. Two bolts hold those things in. What will happen when they sheer off, break something, damage your truck?

The dodge ones come with bolts, brackets for the frame, and the hooks. They are much better quality than the store ones. Plus if something happens at least it's a dodge part, it was made to be used on the truck, pull the weight of the truck (store ones no)

It will work with your air-dam. If you look very close you'll see oval holes kinda outlined, this is where you cut. We cut my fathers with a jig saw, came out really nice. If you want you can E-mail me, and I'll send you some pictures of how they mount. His is a 99 but I think the 02 is the same.

Tom
Old 02-05-2006, 12:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dont waste the money on cheap 20 dollar hooks. All you'd be doing is endangering your life and everyone around you when you using them. I have seen these hooks break and go flying. If anyone would have been in the way they would have been dead. Spend the money on the dodge hooks. I have had to pick the front of my pickup up by them before to get it unstuck. They bent upward maybe .5". You'll be happy you spent the money on the dodge hooks.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:54 AM

I saw a set of factory ones on Ebay last night. They were way less than $135.00.
Old 02-05-2006, 07:02 AM

Not sure if I am supposed to post links so if not I am sure a Mod will take care of it for me.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-05...spagenameZWDVW
There are others on there as well.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:36 PM

BAD idea getting towed out by the front axle.
Can you guarranty the towee will always "gently ease it on out"?

I was driving/hauling out of a sand pit one time. A guy with a Mack dump trailer rig got stuck fully loaded. He hooked up a tow chain by wrapping it around the front axle and had the loader operator "ease it out'. The loader (988B CAT) pulled that front axle completely out from underneath the front of the truck leaving the whole truck laying on the ground on it's front bumper.
Big fist fight ensued right after that one!

Get the Dodge hooks- best $138 you'll ever spend.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:47 PM

Most generic hooks are rated for 5000 pounds - good quality hooks will bend instead of breaking. A front reciever is a better choice, IMHO:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...ont%20receiver

$120
Old 02-05-2006, 04:03 PM

i put the mopar hooks on...the ideal of the mopar hooks is that under super loads, they will bend or flex instead of snapping right off like those 40 dollar , aftermarket hooks. Ive seen those cheapies on a jeep, snap off and launch through windshields!...and they are no match for the human head...
Old 02-05-2006, 07:57 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Beware with the OEM hooks if you ever want to install the DSS steering stabilizer.
You only have the choice of one or the other as they get in each others way.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Beware with the OEM hooks if you ever want to install the DSS steering stabilizer.
The DSS would probably be in the way of a front receiver as well??
Old 02-05-2006, 08:33 PM

Further on this subject, if you were to use a front reciever, say even one built into a ranch hand bumper, how do you properly attach a towstrap or something similar?

I know the "sling it around the ball" is a HUGE no no.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by Timmay2
Further on this subject, if you were to use a front reciever, say even one built into a ranch hand bumper, how do you properly attach a towstrap or something similar?

I know the "sling it around the ball" is a HUGE no no.
Yup a strap on the ball is a big no-no

You can just put a strap into the receiver opening and put your pin through it loop in the strap or get one of these (or something like it):

http://www.warn.com/truck/accessories/shackle.shtml
Old 02-06-2006, 02:42 PM

Not sure why you say that. I have both and they do not interfere with each other in any way.

Jim
Old 02-06-2006, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by infidel
Hello
I have 2001 2500 with the tow hooks and the DSS, not a problem. My son has a 1999 2500 and I bought him the tow hooks for Christmas and we have the DSS on that truck to. I figured that was alot cheaper than to have the front end ripped out from a BOYS will be BOYS event. We thought about putting a front reciever up there but he has plans of lifting the truck and we figured that would get in the way.

The tow hooks are pretty stout, they have (2) 1/2 bolts holding the tow hook to the bracket and (6)1/2 bolts holding the bracket to the frame.

See Ya
Chris

Quick Reply: Tow Hooks