Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Took the PE pump apart

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 08:22 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Took the PE pump apart

And I found some things that to me, seem interesting. I took it completely apart. The pump motor is sitting on my work bench. The bypass and all look fine. No noticeable wear. The interesting part is in the motor and brushes. When I took the motor out, it was covered in grease and grime. I'm talking some nasty stuff. The brushes weren't worn smooth or flat either. They were worn real jagged. One wasn't even completely seated on the motor I don't think. You can look at where they rode on the motor and see that the center is much higher than the upper and bottom edges and it to, is worn real rough and jagged. I also noticed some scorch marks on the bearings. Almost like they seized up a couple of times. I'm in the process of cleaning the pump housing inside and out and I've cleaned all the crud out of the pump motor itself. I'm putting some pics up in my gallery if yall want to see them. Might be a day or two before they are approved though. Just thought I'd let yall know what I found.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:08 PM
Banned

Ok. The pics have been approved so you can see them now.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:10 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by BigBlue
Ok. The pics have been approved so you can see them now.
Kinda, they seem to be a wee bit out of focus.

phox
Old 11-01-2004, 10:11 PM
Banned

It was taken with a camera phone. I'm to cheap to spend the money on a digital camera and my parents won't get me one for my birthday or christmas.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:07 PM
Banned

Well, I cleaned it up real good. Come to find out, the top half that houses the motor is just slid on to the lower half. No o-ring to seal it up or anything. Anyways. I got it together and I've got it plugged directly into the battery. For a minute, it was spinning real hard and fast, and then it suddenly slowed down a little. You can feel it sucking air in. I also noticed a little bit of smoke coming from the housing. After loosening the brushes about a 1/4 turn, the smoke went away and the pump is still running. I'm tempted to put it on the truck and see what happens. I've gotta move the holley anyways (got it mounted on the outside of the frame cause the bolts hit the inside of the frame ). I'll keep yall up to date on what I find.
Old 11-03-2004, 10:36 AM

I have a brand new Holley Blue still for sal if you want it.....Store wont take it back