Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

are there any mild power UPgrades that do not ....

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2005, 01:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question are there any mild power UPgrades that do not ....

kill mpg ? ...
Old 07-11-2005, 04:27 AM

I haven't found one yet but lots of guys here claim higher mileage with the Quadzilla box and even some others.
On second thought, my mileage went up the day I installed my BHAF and 4" Banks down pipe.....
Old 07-11-2005, 12:14 PM

I have a Dr Performance level 2....It increased the milage about 10% hand calculated. I'm sure if you are always testing the newely discovered power it will be a decrease! I love it so far. It has been installed for 6 mounths now. Much more power when you need it!!
Old 07-11-2005, 02:42 PM

Installed an Edge EZ to help with towing power for my 30' 5th wheel. My mileage stayed about the same, but the truck pulls ALOT better.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:37 PM

I've got an Edge COMP and my milage went up 8% hand calculated (that is if you can keep your foot out of it ) I also have a stage 2 AFE intake and 4" exhaust and that may have helped a bit as well. The truck pulls a 6400lb trailer like its not even there, but it does smoke a little more with the trailer. The Edge COMP Race version DID make my milage go down 2% from stock, but I don't run the race version cause it makes the truck run to rich for the mile-high city, I don't know how they do at sea level...

If anything, I would say do an air intake and exhaust and then hand calculate the milage and see if it did anything. You should notice the truck respond a little better and be a bit more peppy. Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2005, 06:55 AM

a BHAF and 4" strieght thru muffler, exhaust up my mgp 2.5- 3.mpg.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Airflow. Improving the airflow in and out of the engine is not likely to hurt your fuel efficiency, but will help performance - although by themselves, horespower gains will be minor.

Anything that adds fuel to increase power will have mixed results. Some people claim that bigger injectors will improve mileage under normal driving conditions. Others say they will hurt mileage. Some say fueling boxes (Quadzilla, Edge Products, etc.) will help mileage. Others say it will hurt. Too many variables are involved to say what will happen, but it seems more often than not, mileage decreases when fuel is added.

Don't forget two things.

1. Individual mileage reports are usually skewed by factors like favorable rounding and friendly calculations. (Mine has been known to jump a point or two when in the company of loud mouthed Ford or Chevy owners.)

2. Horsepower is addictive. Even if a new upgrade has the potential to improve mileage under mild driving conditions, your right foot may gain significant weight once it gets use to having more power.
Old 07-13-2005, 12:39 PM

Re: are there any mild power UPgrades that do not ....

Originally posted by XXXtremeKingKab
kill mpg ? ...
as far as we know you could be driving a bicycle

fill out your sig and let us know what you have.

Pat
Old 07-13-2005, 02:10 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've found that all hp upgrades increase your mpgs but this only holds true if you have the self-restraint to keep your foot out of the go pedal.
Sure is fun when passing to go from 60 to 90 in a couple of seconds but it definitely doesn't help your mpgs.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:48 PM

I like being able to pull/haul a lot of weight and at least be able to keep up with traffic or even pass them, priceless
Old 07-13-2005, 02:54 PM

i added the Edge EZ and it helped me out by a couple of miles per gallon, of course I do have a 4" exhaust and a BHAF to so with the extra fuel added to the easier in and out of the air I might have the right combo for the extra mileage, but I can make it not get hardly any MPG's either by staying in it hard, so it is up to the right foot od the driver in most cases. Building up a fund for a DTT Tranny now to get the power to the ground instead of parasitic drag throughout the tranny on our stock units. Not sure what that will do for mileage either, but It will be nice to see.
Old 07-13-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally posted by thecatsfan
Airflow. Improving the airflow in and out of the engine is not likely to hurt your fuel efficiency, but will help performance - although by themselves, horespower gains will be minor.

Anything that adds fuel to increase power will have mixed results. Some people claim that bigger injectors will improve mileage under normal driving conditions. Others say they will hurt mileage. Some say fueling boxes (Quadzilla, Edge Products, etc.) will help mileage. Others say it will hurt. Too many variables are involved to say what will happen, but it seems more often than not, mileage decreases when fuel is added.

Don't forget two things.

1. Individual mileage reports are usually skewed by factors like favorable rounding and friendly calculations. (Mine has been known to jump a point or two when in the company of loud mouthed Ford or Chevy owners.)

2. Horsepower is addictive. Even if a new upgrade has the potential to improve mileage under mild driving conditions, your right foot may gain significant weight once it gets use to having more power.
And thats about as honest an answere as your going to get!