Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Straight pipe or new muff?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2006, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Straight pipe or new muff?

My truck has a stock exhaust, and today I noticed that the muffler outlet pipe was broken/rusted off. Got an app't at the muff shop tomorrow a.m. and am planning to replace the muff with a straight pipe, and leave on the resonator. I used to drive truck, and don't need this rig to sound like one...just perform like one...but a little increase in exhaust sound is ok. Anybody done this, and if so, what I am going to get?
Old 03-28-2006, 09:12 PM

Thumbs up No Muffler

Your gonna get a Bad soundin CUMMINS
Old 03-28-2006, 09:29 PM

I would suggest a free flowing muffler, you can sometimes get a drone with just the resonator and most of the time it won't show itself until you pull a load. Goodluck,,Rick
Old 03-28-2006, 09:32 PM

my 2001 is straight piped and i love it. its louder than stock but its a great sound.
Old 03-28-2006, 10:05 PM

My 95 is straight piped. No drone at all and really isnt that loud. Wife drove us back this weekend 400 miles while I was running a good fever and it didnt bother me. I was miserable but the truck wasnt. I would just drop the muffler and see if you like the sound before having them fix it right.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:00 PM

go straight all the way. i'ts worth seeing everybody look when you go by.[smile]. GO BIG OR GO HOME!
Old 03-28-2006, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by robert chilton
I would just drop the muffler and see if you like the sound before having them fix it right.
I did that for a week. Left the resignator and at 2150RPM I could not stand it. It made one heck of a drone. I replaced the section and it was all good. It is louder from the outside but I can't tell a difference inside. It dropped my post turbo temps 100-150 degrees.

Randy
Old 03-29-2006, 09:37 AM

I like the idea of cooler turbo temps...thanks to all for the replies!
Old 03-29-2006, 09:57 AM

You guys running straight pipes.

Do you think the turbo spools faster?

BTW I skipped the muffler elimination and went 4"
Old 03-29-2006, 10:01 AM

To me, the straight pipes sounds fine with the windows up and cruising (no drone to me ... with the radio on anyway). The only downfall is I think I am too loud in my neighborhood - always "wonder" what the neighbors think of me as I come home.

I am going with an exhaust now - will see if that makes me more popular
Old 03-29-2006, 11:03 AM

Put the straight pipe in there. It's not going to be near as loud as a fully straight pipe exhaust. I think you'll like it alot. OR take the reasonator off and put in a free flowing muffler.

My vote is for the straight pipe with the reasonator.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:12 AM

Caffcapri, Do what I do and leave at the same time as the school buses run in the morning. My neighbor thought my truck was loud till we figured out it was a Harrley that woke him up in the morning. I also go easy on the throttle till I leave my neighborhood. I cant say the same for the Dmax and power stroke around the corner though.
Old 03-29-2006, 11:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I've got my truck straight piped....and would do it again in a heartbeat. There is barely any drone....what drone there is, is drowned out by road noise. I get compliments all of the time on how good my truck sounds and how LOUD it is. Go for the straight pipe!
Old 03-29-2006, 11:44 AM
Banned

One way to eliminate a lot of the drone is to get the exhaust out from under the bed. A lot of times the exhaust tip is somewhat tucked under the bed and causes a really bad drone.........not that I would know from experience

I have my exhaust tip tucked up tight to the bottom of my bed and a little bit under for a nice clean look.......but it does drone a tad bit.......ok well a lot!! But I don't mind it, I actually prefer it cuz I love to hear my truck.

I'd say throw in the straight pipe, and if it's to loud for you, you can always throw on a muffler

~Nick
Old 03-29-2006, 02:28 PM

Wow! What a difference! We eliminated both the resonator and the muff. I think the turbo does spool up faster! It just gets up and goes! Everything everybody said was true: a bit more drone for sure, and I'll see if it drives us out of the truck at WOT in 4th with fiver on. And it will be interesting to see what happens to EGT, as I know exactly where it runs on straight and level when loaded.

Quick Reply: Straight pipe or new muff?