Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stock Lights To LED

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 11:11 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock Lights To LED

Hey guys check out this link. i have been wanting brighter back up lights and i happend across this sight and the apear to just plug right in. Please take a look and let me know what you all think

http://www.2kracing.com/product_info...oducts_id/1763
Old 01-18-2004, 11:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would like to know also. That sure would be slick!

Old 01-18-2004, 11:37 PM
DTR's Cow Boss

if you look at it they have the one in both the red and the clear for our trucks. only thing is with the blinker it would blink like a ****** dream but if you can live with it tell you get the higher flasher then so be it but if i can take my weanie little lights and make them run cooler last longer and be brighter then count me in the boat.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:43 PM

The extra blinking power is always welcome. It might make some tailgaiting Audi driver realize there is a 3/4 ton truck stopped in front of them before I have to get out of of my cab and get "Aquainted" with them.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by MoreSmoke
The extra blinking power is always welcome. It might make some tailgaiting Audi driver realize there is a 3/4 ton truck stopped in front of them before I have to get out of of my cab and get "Aquainted" with them.
yeah what he said
Old 01-19-2004, 01:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think that is what he meant. With the led there is not enough resistance to make the system blink properly and will blink as if the bulb is burned out. You would either have to come up with a flasher that does not have the burned out bulb feature or add resistance to reclaim the blinking ratio.
Old 01-19-2004, 08:59 AM

I personally think these LED replacement bulbs aren't such a great idea. They look cool, but the stock light works by lighting a reflector and sending light in all directions. LEDs are fairly directional. With LED bulbs that I've seen demonstrated in stores, they basically light up a 1.5" round spot on the back of the lens and reduce the viewing area of the light. They also destroy the angle viewing because the ones I saw only shine straight back.

Having said all of this, I must say that I have LED stop-tail-turn lights and LED third brake light. However, I built my own 4x3" LED panels and used a commercially available LED panel. You can see them if you want to. I used specialty flashers from Hotronics and they worked well. My suggestion? Visit your local truck supply store, grab your dremel and do it right.

Whatever you end up doing, please consider the safety impact.

brandon.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:18 AM
DTR's Cow Boss

Lifetime Limited Warranty*
More Reliable 5,000% **
Faster 98%**
Cooler 96.54%**
More Energy Efficient 96.54%**
More Focused 91-98%**
Water Safe (Boat trailers) 100% even powered up.
Brightness control circuitry for maximum brightness and reliability over 11-14 Vdc operating range.
Total current is 90mA at 13.8 Vdc -Verses- 2.6A for incandescent.
2X oversize metal oxide resistors.
Response is near instantaneous -Verses- 200 milliseconds for incandescent.
Installs in existing OEM socket like the existing incandescent bulb it replaces.
No lamp modifications are required in most applications.
Also available in green and blue for off-road use only.
30 degree beam.
Bulbs require an inexpensive variable load flasher for turn signal use.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:34 PM

Originally posted by DodgeCowboy83
......only thing is with the blinker it would blink like a ****** dream ........
When you replace incandescent bulbs with LED's, you need to install a load equalizer module. I would suspect it's nothing more than a big resistor to load the circuit down. One is required for each circuit, and run about six buck each.
Old 01-20-2004, 07:45 PM
Banned

What's so wrong with the bulb blinking extra fast?
Old 01-20-2004, 07:54 PM
Adminstrator-ess

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you get an electronic flasher (uses a timer and a relay) intead of a thermal one (bimetallic strip), the load makes no difference. Any auto parts store has 'em, they're usually about triple the cost of the thermal units. They last nearly forever, the one in my truck has been in three vehicles over 10 years. The only bad thing about them is that they don't care what the load is, so you don't notice a burned out buld from inside the truck.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:10 PM

I had LED's on my current 2nd Gen gasser. I just used the stock replacements as seen on that website. IMHO they're not worth it.
I think LED's are great, but the problem is our tail lights weren't designed for them. LED's at least the the simple replacement type as seen in the link have to narrow output. What I mean is that if you are directly behing my truck they are awesome quick, bright, low amp draw etc. The problem lies if you're at an odd angle. For example if you were in my blind spot and I put on my turn signal there is a severe lack of brightness to the bulb.

Normal bulbs have a 360 degree light output. The LED's I had were probably closer to 120 degrees. Don't get me wrong the replacement panels that are being used by alot of the OTR trucks are great. But the stock replacements don't come even close to measuring up.

If you really want LED's you'll need to make your own like one of the other posters mentioned. If you're still curious you can get them at most auto parts stores in the Ricer section for 10-15 bucks.
Old 01-20-2004, 09:29 PM
Banned

I think some of you need to stand up and get the wrinkle out of your panties. If you would take half the time you spend complaining* and educate yourself on the subject you would have a much better night. I have been running 100% LED's is all of our vehicles for a while now, and my Dodge doesn't blink any different with LED's then it did without them. Some vehicles, Dodge included, need to run load equalizer which will restore the blinker, or replace it with a different one. Not a big deal either way you go. And the brightness of the LED's is up to you, I say the brighter the better (safer), so I get the most LED's offered per lamp type. Just research the subject, there are many people selling LED's no-days. In 5 years you will not see anything with lamps being sold without LED's.

*Edited by Moderator
Old 01-20-2004, 09:58 PM

Another advantage to LED's is their nearly instant on characteristic as opposed to standard tungsten filaments. That time lag equates to about a 50 foot reaction difference at 65 mph. Has anyone has seen the tail lights on the new Caddy's? IMO, GM got it right; big, bright, wide angle, and beautiful cherry red. I'm sold. And coming soon, LED headlights which follow the steering.
Old 01-21-2004, 12:11 AM

200 milliseconds is < 20 ft. @ 60 mph, but 20' can make a difference. I'd be concerned about the omnidirectional vs. directional aspect though.

Quick Reply: Stock Lights To LED