Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

stay with '02 or new one

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Red face stay with '02 or new one

My transmission is failing. After considering the $6500 cost of a built replacement I am wondering if I may be better off in upgrading to a newer truck. Some of the other things I am considering in the new models are better steering, quite idleing and reduced cab noise on those long trips. I like the stronger frame since I tow heavy. I also like the rear seat and rear storage area design. Besides the cost what are the drawbacks? It goes without saying Chevy and Ford are not a consideration . Should I sink more money in my 2002 or upgrade to a new one? Thanks for any input.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:24 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You can get a nice transmission & TC set up for about $4000.00 no problem.
As far as the other laundry list of things, that is up to the individual. I myself am moving on, out of an 01 and into an 06.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:37 PM

I think you should stick with the 02 thats like the best year out of them all in my opinion, their simple, proven, everything is already figured out on them and they can make great power, I got a full billet DTT tranny, everthing except the billet intermediate installed for like $6000 all said and done,with a billet flex plate. If it's in good shape keep it.
Old 07-12-2006, 08:53 PM

If your truck is in decent shape other than the tranny, I would say keep it. While it is a matter of personal preference, I like the '02 better than the '05 I previously had. With the extra cost of a new truck, you could easily make your truck as comfortable and quiet as a 3rd gen truck, and possibly have some change to spare at that.
Mishkaya
Old 07-12-2006, 08:55 PM
Chapter President

You won't get the fuel mileage out of a 3rd gen that you're getting out of your 2nd gen. If you tow a lot, find a wrecked truck, get the pedal setup out of it, buy a NV4500 or NV5600 and put something in it that won't come out.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:43 AM

Another thing to consider (that matters to me alot), is the sound of the exhaust. I don't know if that matters to you at all but the 3rd gens do not sound good at all straight piped. The 24v and 12v trucks are the best sounding trucks.
Old 07-13-2006, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on total miles...I would keep the 02!
-Better mileage
-Cheaper & more power options available
-Bigger front door... if you ride with seat all the way back, like I do - post won't be in your line of sight
-Megacabs have shorter bed, too ....(and are ugly, IMO)
-All areas regarding design/longevity problems on the 02 are well known and have been addressed.
-NOTHING tows, or just drives, like a fully rebuilt DTT tranny... incl the latest and greatest from Dodge.

Even with an expensive tranny and a Smarty (to go with your TST), I believe your total cost would be less than taking the hit on a trade in..... AND you would have a truck that was a lot more fun to drive!

JMO - RJ
Old 07-13-2006, 11:38 AM

I would say do the DTT tranny IMO. This is assuming you have under say 80 or 90k and the truck is in good shape.

I like the 3rd Gens, and my buddy has an 06. But, as mentioned, they don't sound as good and don't get the mileage.

Just my 2 cents
Old 07-13-2006, 02:45 PM

Keep what you've got. You can get a built tranny for yours without billet parts for probably just a tick over 3k.

Eric
Old 07-13-2006, 03:03 PM

If cost is an issue, don't forget higher ad valorem taxes and insurance that will be on a newer truck. I debated getting an older truck or a newer truck last January (05). The older truck won hands down and I have never regretted it. I had to build my tranny, strip and paint the truck, take the interior apart and clean everything, fix the dash that cracked once I thought I was finished, and tune it like I wanted it. But, it already had every accessory I wanted, including the exact gauges, TST kit, and side steps and tool box that I would have to install on a new truck. My insurance is 276/6 months compared to 895 on an 05. The tag is 150 compared to approx. 385/yr. Plus, when I want to throw something in the back, I don't cringe like I would if I was driving a 40K+ vehicle. The only downside I have come up with is the absence of the rear doors. I think I can live with that.
Chris
Old 07-14-2006, 06:56 PM

Question

Thanks for all of your thoughts. They have kept me on track rather than give in to the desire for a new vehicle when I don't really need one, just a new tranny instead. The truck is in very good condition with 45000 well cared for miles. I will replace the tranny with a fully built unit including flex plate. I guess the hard part now is to decide which builder to go with. Research so far leads me to Dave Goerands, Suncoast and DTT.
Also Mishkaya, how do I quite the truck to the level of a 3rd. generation. Running down the road is fine. It's the idle I'd like to tame.
Old 07-14-2006, 09:18 PM

jrsgrounded
PM sent.
mishkaya
Old 07-14-2006, 09:41 PM

Too bad you can't keep it and get a new 06.

My 99 is now my work truck. The 02 I got for my wife.

Tried to get her to drive the 06, but she won't part with her Black Sport 02 ............ Darnnit!

I wish I could drive my 06 everyday, it shifts so smooth and is so quiet, not to mention better brakes, steering, seats,and creature comforts.

I'm not helping to bulid up your case for saving the 02 am I?

I'll shut-up now.................Jim
Old 07-14-2006, 10:01 PM

i had a similar dilema. new truck or the 3,000 i spent upgrading and replacing parts on my front end. i'ved owned 5 different ctd and know that my current truck is the best one i'ved owned. my truck now drives better than new and is good for alot more miles. besides, my truck plus 17,000 for a new truck did not seem like a good deal. thats the bonus for keeping a ctd for more than 5 years. you probably owe zero and have a truck far from warn out. i am glad i kept mine.
Old 07-17-2006, 10:37 AM

One thing you may do to quite the truck at idle is to check your hood mat. Some trucks have them, others don't. If you do have one, you may benefit from using some thicker material or modifying it some. If you don't have one at all, well, it would definitely help. Also, you can add some insulation on the floor board at the firewall that will help absorb some sound or use some Dynamat, it is a material used in stereo installations to absorb resonance in a vehicle.

Quick Reply: stay with '02 or new one