Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Stacks

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 08:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stacks

The guys at the fire station are dying for me to put stacks on my truck. So I need a little help from you all. Look at my sig to see the current mods. I tow alot and I wont be able to put up with the noise towing. Are there any stacks out there that you can buy with mufflers, or is there a way to put a muffler in line somewhere. Also I have a 98 transflow fuel tank in the bed. Can I move the tank foward and 5" pipes fit between there. I have a long bed truck.

Thanks

Kimrey
Old 10-16-2004, 09:26 AM
Banned

Kimray, you can do this 2 different ways, first you can put a muffler underneith, I have the biggest Magnaflow there, secont you could put a smaller muffler on the verticle piping inside the bed before the stacks , I ordered all the parts from Walker and did it all is just a few hours, I have an inbed tank/toolbox combo too, I mounted it about 8" away from the front of the bed to accomidate room for the stacks, then I built a cover plate for between so junk wouldnt fall down there.

Cheers, Kevin
Old 10-16-2004, 09:33 AM

Where can I find this Walker at? Did you get all the parts from there, muffler included. Also how quiet is it? Stock quiet or can you here some nice sound that's not a headake?

Thanks

Kimrey
Old 10-16-2004, 10:38 AM

IM afraid that you're probably going to find that stacks are too loud. Id try and find someone that has stacks and check them out before you start drilling 5 inch holes in your bed.
Old 10-16-2004, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is my set up. A little noisy but you can put a muffler in below the bed.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1
Old 10-16-2004, 10:46 PM

There's plenty of room for a muffler. If you can find a semi junkyard, you can take one off them. Otherwise, Berubes (www.berubes.com) is a great place, I ordered all of my stuff from them. They also have silencers that go inside the stacks. They are the friendliest people I have ever talked to! And I am not lying, either Only thing is they talk funny up there (N.H.)
Old 10-17-2004, 12:33 AM

The only trucks in my area that have stacks are gasser Fords, and one 7.3PSD pre-superduty (old bodystyle, 1996 I think??) I really like the look of stacks, but CANNOT have my truck much louder than it is stock. I live by a church which amplifies and echos the sound of my idling truck. The neighbors have complained once already. Since I have all kinds of "illegal" auto aprts strewn behind my garage in the alley, I prefer not to be hassled for noise, or I will have pay for a bunch of extra storage I can't afford. When my current muffler gives up the ghost, I am seriously considering a stack or two but I want to hear just how loud they really are first.
Old 10-17-2004, 12:54 AM

Here's a pict of what I have on mine also:

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat/500/page/1

I didn't have the stock muffler and resignator reinstalled, but there is 2 baffles in the uprights on the back - and yes, the ARE loud on the freeway, and about the same as the engine idle when I start it up. IF you have the stock muffler and resignator kept on, then you won't need to worry about noise.

I got my pipe setup at at StylinConcepts.com - go to the EXAUST section and you'll see a small pict. There's 2 types - 4" and 5"...

The kits are a complete setup from the turbo back - have all the clamps and all that you need - except for the 5 or 6" hole saw for the bed and the extra long extention for your ratchet set..
Old 10-17-2004, 07:14 AM

WWWhhheeeewwwww, at Stylinconcepts that set-up is expensive. Thanks yall for the links. I think I will get a muffler and mount it underneath and do the stacks that way. Crimedog, I will follow up on that link that you gave me as well. It's hard finding that perfect sound thats not obnoxious. Anyone els with ideas chim in .

Thanks

Kimrey
Old 10-17-2004, 05:13 PM
Administrator

The only thing I ordered from Berubes was the two stacks and the four inch splitter. All the rest of the hardware is just off the shelf NAPA parts.
My stacks stick up above the cab about a foot and are turned to the rear. They have a lower throaty kinda sound to them with no muffler and a four inch down pipe. My sons stacks are shorter turned to the side and are very obnoxiuos. It about drove me crazy while we were hauling mine out to Indiana.

Word to the wise, be ready to do a lot of cleaning, especially if you still have that white truck I saw at Deep River that year. Mine looks like you hit it with buck shot every time I start it up, little black spots everywhere.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:34 PM
Banned

I had mine turned back and had the soot on the paint problem, I turned them at a 45 pointing to the corners of the bed, this pretty much solved the problem, then I raised them about 30" above the cab.........................problem gone all together

Cheers, Kevin
Old 10-18-2004, 05:24 AM

You still remember me. How is everything? Good I hope! Yea I can't decide on wheather or not to put on stacks. If I can quiet it down a bit then I will. Dieseldude and everyone els thanks.

Kimrey