Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

So will my tranny hold up or no?

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:So will my tranny hold up or no?

Edge makes the ez as well as the comp. The comp is in cab adjustable and will deliver twice the HP on level 5x5 as an ez.
The tst powermax 3 is very similar to a comp and has 9 in cab adjustable levels. Each level is good for about 15ish hp.
I run mine on level 4 as my trans is stock and it works great.
The ez is a good box, I had one- got bored with it and bought an adjustable one. Seems to be pretty common amongst diesel performance seekers ;D
Old 04-22-2003, 08:55 PM

&quot;The ez is a good box, I had one- got bored with it and bought an adjustable one. Seems to be pretty common amongst diesel performance seekers&quot;<br><br>Sorry to ask so many questions, but what does the TST offer that the edge doesn't or vice versa? In your experience.
Old 04-22-2003, 09:15 PM

I have no experience with the Edge Comp, but from what I have gathered is this:<br>Both boxes will add roughly 130 hp and the comp uses more timing advance to do it while the TST uses less timing but quite a bit more fuel.<br>I chose the TST box on my favorite vendors recommendation (brownie points :-*) that I would like to be a bit over 450 hp when all is said and done. Remember though, with all these add ons you must do other things as well. <br>Gauges- fuel pressure, boost and pyrometer<br>trans mods to allow you to use the power<br>new air induction system<br>4&quot; exhaust<br>big injectors<br>bigger turbo to keep egts in check<br>etc.... It's not a cheap hobby. My only advice regarding boxes is do do your homework, get others opinions and get an adjustable one instead of the EZ- you'll be happier in the end
Old 04-22-2003, 09:35 PM

Sounds good! Thanks so much. Scott
Old 04-22-2003, 11:24 PM
Banned

I'll second what Spark Chaser said. Skip the EZ and go for a COMP. I've got the Comp but it's in EZ mode. The way the Comp becomes the COMP is by hooking up an extra wire to your injection pump. By doing that, you get the increased fuel and timing curves and the extra hp. If you leave the pump wire unhooked (like me) all you get is the power of the EZ, with the in cab adjustability of the Comp.
Old 04-23-2003, 04:47 AM

OK, I got the 47RE in mine. I'm planning on drop in filter, 4&quot; exhaust and Edge EZ. How's that sound? Pull 9K 1-200 miles every other month. How will it hold up?
Old 04-23-2003, 06:54 AM

It will hold just fine BUT, like everyone has said you WILL want more trust me. If you are truely happy with that setup once you run it you are a stong man but I doubt you will be happy well don't get me worng you will be happy buy you won't be happy till you get more then more then more. Thats how it works. By this time next year you will have a full on street race truck! Serously though if you think you will want more get the COMP or the TST powermax.
Old 04-26-2003, 12:09 PM

[quote author=Bull Dog link=board=7;threadid=13883;start=15#132177 date=1051370638]<br><br>but just 30 or 40 more ponies would be perfect. <br><br>Bulldog<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>That is funny. I have been to the well 3 times for just 30 or 40 more ponies and keep telling myself that it is good now for pulling the fifth wheel. Then I start thinking about an ATS manifold and tweaked turbo and full 4 inch exhaust for just 30 or 40 more ponies. Then it will be another injector upgrade or pump tweaking for another 30 or 40 ponies.....
Old 04-26-2003, 06:40 PM

well, i should be at around 300hp, 715 foot pounds of torque right now through a stock transmission. up the line pressures to hold the internals. then run a stock/unlock switch to keep from slipping the converter clutch. use lockup only under light throttle conditions and to help keep the temps down. (unlock for the hills, ormedium/hard acceleration, etc). that's what i'm running and still going strong. however, once you start slipping the internal clutch packs, then things usually start going downhill fast...<br><br>Tom
Old 04-27-2003, 08:21 AM

Tom,<br> A couple of quick questions, what is needed to up the line pressures and second where can I obtain a lock/unlock switch. Scott
Old 04-27-2003, 11:56 AM

Line pressures:
take off your transmission pan. you'll need a 3/16 allen wrench to adjust the pressures. you'll have to probably shorten the short end of the allen wrench with a grinder so you can gain clearance. http://www.dieseltrans.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=68 i turned the pressure screw up 3 turns and the later light throttle shifting screw about 1 1/2 turns. i didn't pressure check it (you should), but i've had no problems since. bill k says that you can't go more than 3 1/2 turns safely. bill says that a 24v must have the pressures checked before and after due to the clearances/pressures being very different stock. throw a new filter and gasket on, and put the pan back on.

Stock/Unlock Switch:
http://www.tstproducts.com/tranny_install.html do the jumper wire. now, don't do step 2 the same way it says. instead of grounding it (locking), you want to keep it from grounding (no ground=no lock). so, cut the B11 wire and install a switch in between the wires. obviously you'll have to extend the wires about 5 feet on both ends so you can run them into the cab and to a switch. when done, you'll be able to keep the converter from locking up, or flip the switch and let the pcm ground when it wants to for torque converter clutch lockup (stock programming).

Tom