Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

smarty???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 05:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
smarty???

ok i would like opinions from all of THOSE WHO HAVE A SMARTY. i have been keeping an eye on the classifieds here and on the tdr. i have been looking at the smarty or a tst pm3. my trans is stock and i am not ready to get a new one that is built for more power, so i am going to hold on on the tst i believe. i am looking for something that will out do my ez. i towed about 10k this weekend with about 1.5k in the bed as well. and my truck with original trans and 230k miles did awesome. never came out of od pulling hills. anyway, i want something that won't kill my tranny. and i have heard this smarty is awesome. the timing is supposedly better than the ez and it has more response. is this thing everything it claims to be? i like that i can adjust the power on it very easily and it will also stack with a tst like my ez will. i might buy one from the classifieds if it is everything yall say it is. and is there anything to watch out for when buying one used? how do i tell if the seller has put their vehicle back to stock?
Old 08-07-2006, 07:34 PM
Registered

YES! they are everything that they say they are. i wouldnt sell mine. (well, everything is for sale....)

but you'll just have to take their word that they have put their truck back to stock. The only ones that i have seen for sale are because they sell their 24 valve and go to the CR engines. So theres no reason for them to leave them on the truck. (unless on accident of course, everybody is human)
Old 08-07-2006, 08:04 PM

It is more than they say it is. I couldent beleive that people said it worked like it did, untill I got one. I wouldent give it up for anything. every time I drive I still have an ear to ear grin
Old 08-07-2006, 10:32 PM

When i first got my smarty i had a e-z. I tow betwwen 20,000 and 25,000 daily. Now that being said in my truck it pulled better with the e-z and the smarty compared to just the smarty. As for as just driving with no load the smarty is great. I think if you are going to do anymore to your truck you should address the trans first. I now run the TST pm3 and smarty and it is unbelievable for towing. I do like my smarty and the only way i will get rid of it is if i get rid of the truck. I do have a 5 speed so it may be different for you. Dave
Old 08-07-2006, 10:47 PM

I love my Smarty and like everyone else wouldn't give it up for anything unless the price is right
However it is not as easy as the TST to adjust the power. With the TST you just change it on the remote but with the Smarty you have to turn off the truck, turn the key to the ACC position, plug in the Smarty go through a couple of menus and then download the program you want which takes 1.5 minutes. Then you have to turn off the key and unplug the Smarty and wait 30 seconds before turning the truck back on. The Smarty is unbelievable but definitely not something you can adjust on the fly like the TST or Juice/comp.
Old 08-07-2006, 10:49 PM

My opinion is go for it but if you don't want to take our word for it call Bob and ask to try a tester or find a local owner so you can see for yourself. I think most the testers turn into buyers

http://www.wagnerandassociates.biz/
Old 08-08-2006, 01:20 AM

I like my set-up. Still bebating if I need more air. Most likely will kill your trany.

JIm
Old 08-08-2006, 11:42 PM

All I can say is what a piece of equipment! After driving the 2002 2500 for 3yrs with a BD Plugn Power and going to the Smarty is like going mild to wild. Throttle responce is way better. There is an intermediate thrust that is felt on acceleration when rolling on the throttle. The truck has never had this additional power thrust prior to downloading Smarty. I like #7 the best. After updating the ABS tire height the speedo is back on and I'm running 19.5 mpg driving into town to work (20 miles round trip) with stop and go traffic lights. I'm thinking once I get out on I-85 going in to Spartanburg and back it should be in the 23-24 mpg realm. We'll see. . .

" i am looking for something that will out do my ez"
The Smarty is deffinatly it!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Smarty is everything it's made out to be. I wouldn't get rid of mine. My only concern with you putting one on your truck is how many miles you have on your trans. Even on the lower settings the fuel comes on pretty quick. I'm worried your going to ruin your tranny.
Old 08-09-2006, 08:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by turbo dreams
.... how do i tell if the seller has put their vehicle back to stock?
The Smarty won't talk to your ECM if they didn't. You'll know the first time you hook it up!

In my opinion, if your tranny is holding with an EZ, it will hold with a Smarty, Timing on the Smarty seems to be gentlier and better thought out. I get no cold weather timing rattle with the Smarty like I did with the EZ.

RJ
Old 08-09-2006, 08:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by lsgibb
wait 30 seconds before turning the truck back on.
who said to do this? i never have......
Old 08-09-2006, 08:57 AM

It was in the instructions. Oh geez I forgot we're not supposed to read those. It's like stopping and asking for directions. Sorry about that I'll remember next time.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by blackdiesel02
who said to do this? i never have......
Did a test run yesterday and we didnt wait 30 sec either.

Hope it was a fair test

Dan
Old 08-09-2006, 10:19 AM

If you keep the SMARTY on #7 or maybe even #5 depending on your trans, you will be fine. On #9 I felt it slip once, and that scared me enough to go to a lower setting, but you can run it on #9 if you control your foot. If you hammer it, then the fuel comes on so hard that something has to give or it has to go. Usually TC slipping, or that was my case.

I am waiting on my 3rd gen SMARTY now...

i sold my EZ when I bought my SMARTY, but never even thought about running them together.