Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Silencer Ring

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Silencer Ring

Well, I got info. on how to take out the ring... I took it for a "test drive" and WOW... Sounds like a dern jet... Just thought id get that off my back... Thnks
Old 08-13-2006, 12:37 AM

im gunna rip mine off as soon as the sun comes up tomorrow
Old 08-13-2006, 09:43 AM

What you're hearing is the sound of inefficiency.

That is not a "silencer ring" - it reduces turbulence at the compressor inlet, allowing more air flow thru the compressor wheel, which increases compressor output = more Boost, to all you shade-tree guys.

If ya really wanna hear the turbo sing, put a mike on it and connect it to your stereo...................
Old 08-13-2006, 09:55 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gmctd

That is not a "silencer ring" - it reduces turbulence at the compressor inlet, allowing more air flow thru the compressor wheel, which increases compressor output = more Boost, to all you shade-tree guys.

If ya really wanna hear the turbo sing, put a mike on it and connect it to your stereo...................
Like to see this theory tested on a dyno. I agree that it is more than just a ring to silence, but doubt that it has a measureable effect. Some aftermarket turbo's don't even have a groove to accept a clip for a ring??
Old 08-13-2006, 12:03 PM

Those are 'general-purpose' turbos, can fit into anyone's intake\exhaust system scheme.

Not meaning they're deficient in any way - most 'built' intake systems consist of a paper cone-type filter clamped directly on the compressor inlet.

The more direct the intake path, and the straighter, the less inlet turbulence - but, any restriction - air filter, etc, - causes turbulence.

OEM systems generally consist of a heat-shielding filter-box and ducting to a reasonably cooler - and, preferably, higher pressure - source of intake air from the front of the truck, whether in a fender-duct or, like the newer fords, side of the grille.

The fender duct in the '94-'02 Dodge trucks has a large cool air inlet back at the passenger-side door, with a 90deg turn into the filter box, then something more than 90deg into the inlet of the compressor.

The 180deg inlet path causes turbulence at higher Boost levels - the greater the intake flow, the greater the effect.

And, I agree - some dyno runs with\without the ring would be informative, including runs with revised, straighter inlet path(s)

I think it has been done, just can't remember where I saw it - wasn't much interested in Diesels, prior to late last century.

BTW - the ring compares, primitively, with the straightening vanes - forgot what Dodge calls that plastic assembly - in the late EFI Diesel systems.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:14 PM

This discussion has been kicked around many times, I would be willing to bet that there is no difference in performance by taking the silencer ring out, its such a small factor when you think of how much air the engine is actualy sucking in. Some say it reduces their turbo bark too by removing it.
Old 08-13-2006, 12:23 PM

i'm with DEEZLE98 this subject has been beat to death! ya'll just do a search and you'll find what you do or don't wanna know!
Old 08-13-2006, 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by gmctd

if this is true, how come you never see a silencer ring on a turbo in a semi or tractors? im just curious to know if there is a reason besides people who drive pickups like them to be a little quieter in the cab
Old 08-13-2006, 09:15 PM

like i said earlier just do a search and you'll see what i'm saying, but i did read a thread on here that stated that the silencer ring was placed inside of the turbo as a request upon daimler-chrysler corp. and it was placed in there JUST to silence the turbo and that is it.

i'll search myself and see if i can't find it, but there is a WHOLE lot of info on this matter, just like FP guages, "ford owns cummins" etc etc.....
Old 08-13-2006, 09:20 PM

found it----click here