Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

quad xzt

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 06:38 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
quad xzt

well i put my xzt in on my lunch hour today. i can say that the hardest part was the pump wire tap. i am pretty sure i tapped the right wire. took it for a rip and well lets just say my head did not bounce off the back window. it pulls harder and no smoke? we will see how it does when i get the trailer hooked up in a couple weeks and pull some mountains.

"QUAD" the shorter darker green wire does go to the pump right? the instructions did not specify that but i deducted it from the next step that puts the light green wire to the tps. one more question. on L3 should it be a really noticeable power increase?
thanks.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:15 AM

"QUAD"
thought of another question, will the wire harness that came with the xzt work with the xzillaraider too. if i wanted to upgrade that would save the hassle of re-wiring the whole thing over.
Old 09-30-2006, 10:19 PM

well just got home from riding in the mountains and we took the flat bed trailer. 7x16 tandem axle, 3 quads, fuel cooler, not too much. and i will admit that it was waayyy better than beforethe xzt. gouing up the mountain did not even know that the trailer was there. had the chance to do some passing on the 2 lane and she pulled hard. and my mileage sky rocketed up on the freeway too. with that load on the freeway i was around 11-12mpg. with the xzt i was around 18-19mpg!
now i want more !
Old 10-01-2006, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got my Module back from quadzilla. I sure missed it. It still has a miss around 1200- 1400 rpms 45-55 mph. They did kind of fix the commander problem. It was hard to see if it was hot & sunny, & the buttons where impossible to push. They work now, but I still have to hold the back of the commander when I push them.

When I installed mine I did not get the pump wire tapped all the way. The truck would smoke like a coal train. I just smokes some now when I am on level 3 & foot in the throttal. I do like the power.
Old 10-03-2006, 09:02 AM

hey there "QUAD".

quad, please read this thread and tell my what you think. thanks.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:54 PM

Sorry, I did not see this. I check over here but, not often enough I guess?

The shorter dark green wire does go to the pump, so you are correct there.

Depending the particular truck will depend on exactly how much smoke you get. The XZT should only put out a minimal amount if any.

Now we do our tuning on these modules a lot different than everyone else. These are our XZT and Standard modules. The Race Module is coming and there will be more info out around SEMA.

On these particular modules we base our tuning on RPM, Boost and TPS. Doing this allows us to make good power with minimal torque. It also allows us to add very smooth power, just like stock. Using these parameters basically allows us to correctly watch load and determine what is going on.

Now, I probably should not put this out here but, plenty of people already know. If you want instant throttle responce and more smoke then get a voltmeter, a small piece of wire, a couple of wire taps anda couple of spade connectors to go in them. On the MAP sensor there are 3 wires. You have 5v, ground and signal which will be roughly .530v or so at idle. The signal wire you are looking for should be dark blue.

Now on our harness take the connector that goes into the factory MAP sensor and locate the 5v wire. Next make your jumper wire up and hook the 5v to the dark blue wire.

What this does is eliminate the boost from our mapping. So as soon as you give the truck WOT it will fuel much harder. Now it still won't go to straight MAX fueling because we also look at rpm adn we do not want to overload the cylinders too much.

If you want try it and you will like it. On the more aggressive modules the truck might be prone to surging and other drivability type qwirks when you do this as we are loosing some of our tuning resolution. The lower levels appear to be ok and no one really complains about it.
Old 11-20-2006, 02:00 PM

[QUOTE=qzilla;1153894]

Now, I probably should not put this out here but, plenty of people already know. If you want instant throttle responce and more smoke then get a voltmeter, a small piece of wire, a couple of wire taps anda couple of spade connectors to go in them. On the MAP sensor there are 3 wires. You have 5v, ground and signal which will be roughly .530v or so at idle. The signal wire you are looking for should be dark blue.

Now on our harness take the connector that goes into the factory MAP sensor and locate the 5v wire. Next make your jumper wire up and hook the 5v to the dark blue wire.

QUOTE]

THIS NEEDS CORRECTED
ITS THE LIGHT BLUE WIRE NOT THE dARK BLUE

so basically when you wire this mod you will be doing all your wiring on the quad wiring harness that plugs into the map sensor
you will jump the 5v wire and the light blue signal wire on the map plug

i just did this and its awsome
makes tons of smoke only when you hammer it
got lots more low end power
Old 11-20-2006, 02:26 PM
Banned

will this work on the 600's?
Old 11-20-2006, 08:08 PM

so go from the light blue on the quad harness that plugs directly into the map sensor, to what wire on the map sensor??
Old 11-20-2006, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by turbo dreams
so go from the light blue on the quad harness that plugs directly into the map sensor, to what wire on the map sensor??
To the 5v source at the same connection.

Basically you are fooling our module into thinking it has full boost at idle. This makes the module fuel really hard.

The downside is that it could cause somore surging or touchy throttle.

On the Xzillaraider we do fueling changes based on RPM, Boost and Throttle Position whichis pretty complex but, it makes it so that we can still make a lot of power but it is not too smokey to drive or too touchy. Actually the power is probably too smooth and comes on too linear but, we are saving the Raw, Rauchy power for the Race module!

Quad
Old 11-20-2006, 10:31 PM
Banned

so, will this work on a 600 with a race module?
Old 11-20-2006, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
so, will this work on a 600 with a race module?
Sorry! I meant to address this in my last post and forgot!

Technically yes, it will work. It think on the 600's you will have some drivability issues and maybe even pop a couple of codes.

The 600 trucks are very, very finicky about everything. I think you could do this mod and drag race it and be fine. I think you will run into issues when cruising at lower boost levels as the module will be fueling like it has 30-40psi of boost.

If you want to try it and brave it you certainly can. I would have a scan tool handy though and do not be suprised if you pop a light while cruising.

If you try it make sure you let me know how it works! I would try it just for kicks but, I am hammered as it is!

Quad
Old 11-20-2006, 10:41 PM
Banned

i'll try it this weekend, gotta do the clutch first. then I'll give it a go. i need something down low to get this turbo spooled.
Old 11-21-2006, 08:37 AM

I did the wire tap for the wire jump mod to my xzillaraider, lets say it is awesome, Major black smoke when i lay onto the pedal from while rolling from a stop, great mod.
Old 11-21-2006, 09:30 AM
Banned

quad recommends not using this too much for the 600's due to being touchy. good advice, but i suppose i could install a toggle switch that allows me to turn the reference voltage bypass on and off when i want it.

Quick Reply: quad xzt