Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Pro's and Con's of Every Performance Lift Pump

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:17 PM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Holley Blue is regulated to around 18 psi, spring/ball bypass. The Red is 7 psi. The reason most Holley's fail is because people run them by themselves and not in parallel with the stock lift pump. You have to get the wiring right. Use a trigger wire off the 12v supply to the stock lift pump and wire in a relay, too easy.

The other issue with the Holley pump is that the bottom gasket is prone to leak so that should be addressed before installing the pump.

With the stock lift pump and a Holly Blue you'll see roughly 27-30 psi of fuel pressures.

OK, this is part where all the naysayer jump in and proclaim that the high fuel pressure isn't good for the vp44.

My experience tells me it's not an issue.

Can you get a bad Holley? yup! Can you get one that will give you great service? yup!

If you want fool proof, install a camshaft with the pump lobe and go mechanical. I have said camshaft with pump lobe but my darn Holley hasn't gone out yet to make me go through the effort.

Hope my rambling helps.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a FASS the only con ...is the noise I can hear it in the cab with a strait pipe and Im deaf
Old 04-16-2009, 10:45 AM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only issue i have with my AD100 is a bonking sound while running. I think it's the relief valve popping. It's annoying when sitting at a light.
But the pressure is constant and doesn't fluctuate with the sound.
Old 04-16-2009, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike D
I'll give the Holley pump a good "performance" rating.

John_P was the one that told me about his use of the Holley. Man, that was a long time ago. I'm still using the same pump that I installed all those years ago and still using the same lift pump that was on the truck when I put the Holley on.

I know everyone won't agree but there's not an electric fuel pump on the market that hasn't left someone on the road side. Be it FASS, AIR DOG or WALBOR. They've all had failures.

If my Holley dies tomorrow I'll gingerly wrap in silken cloth and say a word of thanks! Amen!
---------------------------------
Thanks Mike!

Hey guys,.....if I have offended anyone here on my input,.....my apologies! Here is what Joe asked for in his first post:
__________________________________________________ _____________
What are the positives and negatives of each type of performance lift pump on the market? Factor in ease of installation, cost, performance, replacement parts and your own opinions into each type of Mechanical, Electric and DIY (List the components used) type of pumps. What are your real world experiences?

Joe
__________________________________________________ _____

Some of our Members here (maybe even Joe) are on a "budget" and my thought was to try and give a "wider range" of choices on these fuel pumps than just the FASS or Air Dog. Another Member mentioned the Walboro and there are alot of those in use now too. I guess whether or not the Holleys would be considered "performance" or not could be a subject of debate here.
As I said and Mike D. pointed out, I used my Holley Red on my 2002 in conjunction WITH the stock lift pump and I had a "bypass hose" to go around the Holley just in case it failed. I found that the stock pump would still deliver about 7-8lbs of pressure as long as it did not have to pull through my Holley Red. In doing that, I basically had two (2) fuel pumps in case one did fail.
FWIW,....my 2002 put down around 500+ H.P. and would run the 1/4 mile in 12.90@105 MPH with just a TST PM3 (Comp) "stacked" with an Edge EZ, Diesel Dynamic's Super Mental Injectors (about 125 H.P.) and an HX-40/16 Turbo. Not the fastest truck out there, but IMHO pretty respectable power and times. Also, I know that Jess and Buck Spruill ran a Holley Black on their very fast Chevy Duramax Pro-Street Drag Truck for a long time.

--------
John_P
Old 04-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Received 52 Likes on 50 Posts
Originally Posted by SkyHarborCowboy
How do you guys install the Holley's? I thought the Holley Blue Pump was internally regulated to 7PSI or so. How do you get the pressure up with them?

Joe
------------
Joe:

Mike D gave a good post on this but if you want I can send you a parts list and explanation of how we set our Holley Pumps up if you want.

--------
John_P
Old 04-16-2009, 02:44 PM

Lets see used Holleys=Crap, Tried Cummins Campaign Pumps=Crap
Ran a FASS 150/150 when I had a VP= Awesome! No complains
Now with the P7100 running a FASS 220/150?? and I have no complains with it either! Wish I wouldn't have wasted the money on the others.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:46 PM

85K on the original RASP from DTT. Mechanical with stock LP always there as back up. If the belt were to break the spare can be installed in less than 5 min., and the stock LP would automatically take over anyway, so no standed on the side of the road. 18 psi idle and 14 WOT. Gives my Mach 4's all the fuel they want. Don't know what's not to like with this system. Wasn't cheap, but my peace of mind has long overridden any concern for cost.