Performance and Accessories 2nd gen only Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for second generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories.

Propane injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 08:20 PM
BCB

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Propane injection

I was on Cumminsdatabase.com looking around and came across this . has anyone done this on a 12V looking for more power and better MPG. what do you guys think?
Old 04-26-2006, 09:47 PM
Chapter President

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Personally I don't like propane. Sure if you were in a perfect world with NO modifications, you can get some power out of it. But for the cost I would rather spend on injectors or a good timing box if you have electronic systems. The mileage "gain" usually doesn't include the propane fuel burned, and around here it isn't free.

Propane does have a higher octane, something like 120 IIRC. But at 400 Psi compression pressure, that does squat and will burn before the diesel is injected. If too much is used, look for popping head gaskets.

NOS on the other hand is purely an oxidation additive and provides more oxygen and cooling to the combustion of the DIESEL only, not a fuel in itself.

For me, If I was to bottle feed the CTD, NOS would be my choice or Water/Methanol..
Old 04-26-2006, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by Lil Dog
Personally I don't like propane. Sure if you were in a perfect world with NO modifications, you can get some power out of it. But for the cost I would rather spend on injectors or a good timing box if you have electronic systems. The mileage "gain" usually doesn't include the propane fuel burned, and around here it isn't free.

Propane does have a higher octane, something like 120 IIRC. But at 400 Psi compression pressure, that does squat and will burn before the diesel is injected. If too much is used, look for popping head gaskets.

NOS on the other hand is purely an oxidation additive and provides more oxygen and cooling to the combustion of the DIESEL only, not a fuel in itself.

For me, If I was to bottle feed the CTD, NOS would be my choice or Water/Methanol..
Very well said...

When running NO2 on a diesel whats going to be the biggest concern in terms of doing damage.. is it something that is going to put stress on the VP... Headgasket? What would be good to upgrade before running it.
Old 04-27-2006, 12:13 AM

Received 535 Likes on 391 Posts
Originally Posted by BCB
I was on Cumminsdatabase.com looking around and came across this . has anyone done this on a 12V looking for more power and better MPG. what do you guys think?
been running propane for about 8 months now, and water/meth for around 5 months. Propane works for me...strong and smooth coming on. Water/meth is also awsome. Do I run both at the same time? No way! Propane is on 90% while commuting, while water/meth is for conquering hills. I use the ATS propane kit and is set to spray at 8 lbs. boost pressure.Carmyne
Old 04-27-2006, 07:12 AM
BCB

thanks for all the replys. has anyone done the Do it your self parton that page?
Old 04-27-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Propane almost always gets a bad rap from people who don't understand where it fits best in the bombing lineup. From a fuel milage stand point there's nothing out there which can compete with it as long as propane prices are low enough. From a power stand point there are easier and cheaper ways of making power and it doesn't work that well on heavily fueled trucks, but in certain situations it's competative. If you're looking for increased power with good milage increases it's a good way to go. If the power increases are kept under 80 to 100 hp it's relatively safe on head gaskets.

It used to be much more popular before injectors and boxes became more avialable and is a nice addition to older diesels which are otherwise expensive to get extra fuel into.

You can make you own propane system, which is very simular to the TS system, for under $300 not including the tank. All that is needed is an Impco model "J" regulator off a fork lift, which is less than $100 new, an electric solenoid, arming switch, Hobbs switch, wiring, lpg rated hoses, fittings, and the knowledge to put it all together. Fork lift lpg tanks are the most popular tanks used and can be had for under $100 new.
Old 04-27-2006, 03:16 PM
BCB

am i going to notice the difference between a kit I make and one i buy if i do it right?
Old 04-28-2006, 07:34 AM
BCB

anyone know?
Old 04-28-2006, 08:10 AM

The TS kit looks like it uses a model "J" regulator, so there won't be any difference between it and what you can put together yourself. IMO this type system is superior to the Power Shot. Contrary to the article, the TS type system can be regulated for flow by the addition of a ball valve on the "J" output.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:45 AM

What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with the propane and how much propane do you burn compared to a tank of diesel. In other words do you have to fill the propane tank each time you fill the fuel tank?
Old 04-28-2006, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by mcoleman
What kind of fuel mileage are you getting with the propane and how much propane do you burn compared to a tank of diesel. In other words do you have to fill the propane tank each time you fill the fuel tank?
Look at post #7 on this thread.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...d.php?t=100494

I've gotten as high as 30 m/gal on diesel before, running down the highway, but turning the propane up that high is mighty hard on head gaskets.

I have mine comming in at 1.5 lbs boost. The only problem with having it come in at real low boosts is, in certain situations, the engine tends to run on after the throttle is released, because the boost takes a while to come down. If a person was interested in only the milage aspects offered, another Hobbs switch could be added to the system to cut off the supply at, for example, 10 lbs boost.

It's the "J" regulator which makes the whole system work so well. It regulates the amount of propane needed, automatically. The "J" is designed for 4 cylinder fork lift engines, and is also perfect for larger diesels. I've often thought about trying a model "M", which is designed for larger engines, to see how it works with diesel engines.